Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frequent flyer programmes – Miles and More
  • the00
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to be working abroad for a bit, and flying most weeks. Brussels Air fly the most convenient route, who are part of the Lufthansa group.

Does this mean I have to use Miles and More (the Lufthansa frequent flyer scheme)?

If not, then which scheme is preferable? Are any of them worth it for a short return flight every week?

jimdubleyou

I don’t think there’s a Star Alliance member in the UK so I just picked Lufthansa / Miles & More.

In theory, you can pick any of this lot & still get the points…

http://www.staralliance.com/en/member-airlines

gobuchul
    Free Member

Are any of them worth it for a short return flight every week?

Don’t expect to get many, the only time I got much was when I was flying long haul business class quite frequently.

It’s part of the Star Alliance. You can sign up through Brussels Air.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-de/corporate/partnerships/star-alliance.aspx

the00
    Free Member

Finding it hard to actually find what I’d ‘earn’ flying Bristol to Brussels… And then what that would be worth.

xora

Finding it hard to actually find what I’d ‘earn’ flying Bristol to Brussels… And then what that would be worth.

Depends on ticket price (ie class). The info is there somewhere. Basically the cheaper the ticket the less you earn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bristol to Brussels earns 250 air miles per return in cattle.

For illustration, a return booking on the same route/class using miles would be 35,000.

Lounge access when you fly business or have a Gold card. Not easy on short haul!

trail_rat
    Free Member

The big value for me in frequent flier miles is – climbing the tiers based on flights in your case. You get access to the lounge – that really makes airport less stressful. Lounges are quieter and no background drone like out with the great unwashed. Plus priority boarding/free extra bag /priority check in and often free upgrades at the gate.

Ben_mw

Do a dummy booking, then right down the bottom of the page is a little link – Mileage calculator – this takes you to another page where you can work out what you’d earn. A random date shows that the direct flight is a codeshare with BMI Regional earning from 125 miles in cheap economy, up to 2500 miles in expensive business class if you hold status with them. You need to take note of the booking class. The dates I had a quick look did however throw up 1250 miles each way on an economy fare.
    I’ve found with Miles and More that it can be fairly hard to earn miles flying, unless it’s at short notice, or in business/first class, but stuff like hotels can generate a lot of miles if you can take advantage.

Edit – Like CFH points out with the 35000 miles to redeem on that route – often economy redemptions are poor value, and Miles and More are pretty bad for the taxes they make you pay as well – often this equates to the same as a cash fare.

Andy_B

It’s worth registering and getting them even though they will be almost worthless in terms of redemption on Lufthansa group. It’s also worth looking at which Star Alliance carrier you might want to travel on in the future and collecting for that, e.g. USA trip on United as the terms are probably better.

The reality is that just getting a bit of status and being treated like a human by another one with a bit more useful knowledge is as far as you will get unless you do long haul. If you’re traveling weekly that could be priceless.

stevextc
    Free Member

I fly a LOT but all economy/cheapest

It’s PITA trying to rack up miles…
    I was in St Petersburg last week.(didn’t get back till Saturday after cycling time).. Kiev the week before and Copenhagen the week before but all cheapest fare and the miles don’t add up to much really.

You can buy a Premier Pass (£70/yr) for lounge access.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airport-lounges#

Most in-flight mags have a discount voucher as well.

Flaperon

Also worth doing the maffs and seeing if it’s even worth trying to get the silver / gold status. Lounge access might be £15, but if you get unlimited booze and food then it’s not exactly an issue to be sitting in cattle class on the plane.

trail_rat
    Free Member

some airlines let you up tier on a number of flights basis …. im no longer with miles and more as they dont fly my routes and my cards expired

but im with flying blue and fly airfrance/klm and its like 15 flights per tier in a year to climb the ladder

a round trip to my work sees me take 6 eligible flights …. i do that 5 or 6 times a year ….

plus what industry you in ? if you have any tangible link to oil and gas you may be able to get the miles and more equivalent of a petroleum card which gives you lounge access in certain airports – although iirc its just oil hubs of which i dont think belgium is one….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frequent flyer programmes – Miles and More’ is closed to new replies.