• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • French toll roads, in a UK car, on your own
  • Wozza
    Free Member

I’m off to Paris on Sunday in the car for work and i’ll be travelling alone. Previously I’ve always had a passenger so it’s something i’ve never thought about.

Paying at the automatic barriers… is it better to climb across the passenger seat or does the barrier stay open until I drive through after running around the car???

Cheers

stumpy01

Probably best to reverse up to it?! 😀

wwaswas

Reverse through.

[edit] dang.

footflaps

Just lean over – never had a problem myself.

poonprice
    Free Member

Maybe get an eticket and it will open barrier as you approach?

Haze

VanMan
    Free Member

Either lean over, or get out and walk round making sure you smile at everyone behind you in the queue

johndoh
    Free Member

officialtob
    Free Member

I did it last year on my own, right to the Spanish border and back. Wasn’t too bad, had to take my seat belt off, and kind of sit on the handbrake (ooo errr). Did crunch my alloy though trying to get a bit to close to one!

My main advice though is to pay by card rather than trying to faff with cash! 🙂

wwaswas

as above, you can get a Tag to put on the dash and then you can just drive through.

goon
    Free Member

Just walk around. I don’t think you even need to rush as the barrier won’t (shouldn’t!) come down until a vehicle has passed through it.

Did it myself a few years ago coming up from the Lot.

officialtob
    Free Member

Just walk around

Only suitable for the brave 😉

jonahtonto
    Free Member

just tailgate someone with a tag sticker going through the auto barrier 😉

Wozza
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ve got a V70 so it’s more a clamber around the inside of the car than “reach over”.

Think I might try another method:

Wozza
    Free Member

just tailgate someone with a tag sticker going through the auto barrier

It’s a Volvo not an Audi

beanum

Walking around the car should be fine, I’ve done it a few times, but for the péages where you have to take a ticket make sure your car is far enough forward to trigger the machine… 😳

treaclesponge
    Free Member

For the auto tolls is there not some on the right hand side for foreign lorries etc? If not just sit there with your hand on the horn until someones comes to see whats wrong, then shout and point as you would in any good restaurant until they do it for you.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Kids fishing net , did this several solo trips in the Le Mans convoy over the years

tonyg2003

Get the SANEF tag. It turned up in 24hrs when we were going to the Alps in the summer. You can then sail through the automatic tag barriers.

ianv
    Free Member

Just walk around. I don’t think you even need to rush as the barrier won’t come down until a vehicle has passed through it.

I do this all the time and if you run, you will usually be quicker than the majority of French drivers (who surprisingly seem pretty useless at using their own payage system)

servo
    Free Member

On a road trip down to the Alps about 20 years ago, it is my job as the passenger to pay the tolls. It was also my job to look after all the petrol receipts as well. Coming to the end of the last stretch, I paid as normal and we accelerated up to speed. I then decided to open the glove box to put the latest receipt in. I had forgotten to close the window and all the receipts and bills were instantly sucked out. Saved us adding it all up I suppose. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hire a girl to sit next to you, you know, could turn out well 😉

Failing that and if you insist on going on your own, you will have to get a Tag or lean over, getting out only encorages the Frenchies to blat thier horn at you.. (I should know 😆 I used to drive a lot in That FrenchLand)

andyl
    Free Member

handbrake turn up to the toll, reverse and then J turn on the way out. Simple.

core

^ this +1

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve always used one of the Sanef Tags. Far easier.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

And if you get to any tolls that are particularly busy, they save you a fair bit of time too as the Tag lanes are pretty much queue free.

maxtorque

Get a large dark coloured range rover with privacy glass. Glue a couple of small union jacks to the front wings. Simply drive straight though the toll barriers without stopping. When eventually cornered by the Gendarmes, just repeatedly shout “Diplomatic immunity” in their faces.

Yup, that should work……. 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

Problem solved plus a little entertainment for the journey.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for the sanef tag. If you’re local to central Scotland, and can leave a cash deposit then you can borrow mine.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘French toll roads, in a UK car, on your own’ is closed to new replies.