Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • French Medical Drug Trials, have you, would you ?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

As a medical professional you were well placed to assess the risk of the trial you were involved in TiRed. The students employed don’t have a clue how risky what they are doing is.

chewkw
    Free Member

“Reports that the drug is a cannabis-based painkiller have been denied by the health ministry.” BBC

Who say it’s harmless again?

Drac

I’d take a wild guess here and say they are told of the risks Edukator. You really do go out of your way to find an argument.

I know they are as I’ve prescribed trial drugs at the very later said stages and you have to inform them of any risks and complications.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

“Reports that the drug is a cannabis-based painkiller have been denied by the health ministry.” BBC

🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

🙄 [/quote]

I have denied the denier … 😛

mrsfry
    Free Member

I would do it. I’m not the only one who thinks there would be a chance of gaining super powers (we all think it)

Maybe i would gain the power to sleep through the night without having to get up and tinkle 😳

Drac

Like Drew Barrymore?

Xylene
    Free Member

I find the whole thing fascinating – especially with the current fad of recreational use of unknown substances – claimed Research Chemicals.

A simple mix up with labeling a few years back led to a few deaths

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/570700-2C-E-Death-in-Oklahoma-Mislabeled-Bromo-Dragonfly

That is under un-controlled conditions, so they chances must be significantly higher than in medical trials.

Will we be told why the brain damage occurred?

vickypea
    Free Member

Quirrel – they will have to fully investigate what happened and document it in the clinical study report. Study reports are made available for the public to access these days.

TiRed

Study reports are made available for the public to access these days.

Not always. Trials tend to be always posted on clinicaltrials.gov because journals will not accept results for publication otherwise. Some companies publish a lot and most now publish Clinical Study Report Summaries, but not the full reports. In this instance, however, just as post-TGN1412, I expect all regulatory documentation will be made available to the public. I’ll be reviewing it closely.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ I will keep an eye out for it.

I have followed the rise of RC’s online with great interest, particularly how people are dosing, doing allergy tests and the active dosage levels of some of these chemicals.

Some of the comments I have read on drugs-forums and bluelight are properly scary with people talking about hands going blue from vasoconstriction for days afterwards and ‘eyeballing’ doses, even when they active dose is thought to be at the microgram level.

Having last worked in the UK at the tailend of the the mephedrone craze, and with the ‘spice’ synthetic cannibanoids starting to make inroads into school, and the kids at school looking for similar chemicals. I am therefore keen to read a report where it has all gone wrong under strict controls, with how much was given, and what they think it was that went wrong.

The people writing on those forums are the sort of kids I used to teach, and some of the justification of their methods, measurements etc makes me wring my hands. I’m not adverse to a dabble, never was when I was younger, but then I was never prepared to risk losing my fingers or toes to gangrene either, just to see.

vickypea
    Free Member

I thought that with the Clinical Trial Transparency Policy, that all study reports will be made public. It takes a while for them to appear though.

gray

I also am involved tangentially in this sort of thing, professionally. There really are an awful lot of rules about how these studies are run. Which is partly why so few go wrong. That doesn’t mean that it’s no big deal when they do, but some people seem to have the idea that reckless people in the pharma industry just do whatever they like, without telling the human guinea pigs what it is they’re doing to them. It’s never going to be perfect, but it’s not like that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The press jumped on the word cannabinoid and assumed cannabis. The two words are related as THC in cannabis affects the cannabinoid receptors in the brain, but in this case this trial drug is to quote “an inhibitor of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), an enzyme that breaks down so-called endocannabinoids in the brain. FAAH inhibitors have been proposed as a possible treatment against chronic pain.”

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/more-details-emerge-fateful-french-drug-trial

Recreational drugs have many connections to pain killers. Aside from cannabinoid receptors we also have opioid receptors and some of the strongest and most effective pain killers are opiates that bind to these. Opiates are derived from opium or a synthetic variant of. That’s why in Victorian times people took opium for pain.

bombjack
    Free Member

I’ve done one, and applied for a few others but pulled out due to work / time constraints. Was used for a trial for asthma drugs, and their effects as a non-asthmatic control. Had to have my lungs x-rayed (or the equivalent, im not entirely sure!) after taking the drugs at various times. The upshot was I got paid fairly well, had to do some interesting lung function tests (in one doctors words, you have massive lungs!) and I’ve come out the other side without growing another head / lung / willy.
    I’d do another one if the conditions were right, and I needed the money…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘French Medical Drug Trials, have you, would you ?’ is closed to new replies.