Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • French mapping for touring
  • marmottefarcie
    Free Member

I am going to cycle the Velodyssey from Bayonne to St Malo in May.
    I know that the route is well signed but I’d like some maps for when I go off the route.
    I’d like the detail available from IGN 1:25000 but the paper sheets are £10 each and I will need loads.
    Satmap will do digital ones for £232 but I find the Satmap 10 really difficult to use.
    Memory Map will sell me the maps on usb for £300 or there’s premium mapping from Open Source Maps via View Ranger for $26 per annum.
    Anyone have experience of using Memory Map or View Ranger on a phone or tablet to navigate on a bike?
    Any suggestions?

tjagain

Geoportail gives you free online mapping of the ign 1;25000

I used this on an android phone for last years walking holiday in france. Free as well.

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

At a quick glance I can’t see the detailed maps on that – I’ll check the link on my phone.

tjagain

Think its an app I used for geoportail that was free. I have deleted it from the phone now

I certainly got highly detailed maps from that with contour lines and fine detail

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

I am going to cycle the Velodyssey from Bayonne to St Malo in May.

doing the very same in June. I am just going to follow the coast north…… 😉

antennae
    Free Member

View Ranger with IGN maps is excellent on both Android and iPhone.

tjagain

I just reloaded it – the geoportail does give detail ign maps on the phone including all contour lines etc and its free.

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick responses tjagain, antennae & ton

jonba
    Free Member

For those prices you could buy yourself a Garmin 810 touring and upload it with free OSM maps. Not 1:25k but good enough for me whenever I’ve used them

There is a phone app that does something similar. Again not the right detail I suspect but worth a look. OSMand.

ton

just tried the French maps on viewranger. terrible with my eyes.
    I will stick to paper maps.

mikey3
    Free Member

I’ve done EV1 from roscoff to Santander,i just printed of about 30 pages of maps from the velo website and put them in a little plastic folder :-),got lost a few times,especially coming out of towns and getting into nantes(nightmare),but that’s all part of the fun really.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Just download the France map and stick on a micro sd card on stick it in your garmin. Used the Italy map last year for the Tuscany trail no problems. I’ve got the Spain map ready too for a trip in May.

http://www.wanderreitkarte.de/garmin_de.php?lang=en

Steve_B

I have used an app called IPhiGenie Also on Android. It is a lot cleaner than the IGN website linked above and gives the same mapping.

It gives quite detailed road mapping for free and a weeks free trial for all mapping. (Or you can purchase app for £5.99 and pay £4.49/ month use – tho needs to be cancelled) The free version will cache for off-line use for the trial week. We managed a 2 week holiday on the free detailed mapping (2 phones).

Viewranger allows IGN road mapping as a free overview and tiles can be purchased – or free OpenCycleMap tiles can be cached

Used above with Maps.me and some offline google areas for all our navigation.

belugabob
    Free Member

Viewranger, on android, with opencyclemap maps, is fine – and free

scruff9252

I cycled the eurovelo 6 last year. I used a specific mapset by Huber these were pretty good and a series of 6 booklet maps which folded out like a snapfax showing the route and about 10km either side of the route. I believe they do maps for most eurovelo routes. On the garmin was downloaded OSM and all campsites loaded as POI downloaded from Archies camping.

However the route was so well signposted, the maps were never used for actual navigation but for rough planning as to where to stop for lunch / afternoon wine the following day… When I do another Eurovelo I’ll quite likely just print off the overview maps.

The archies camping POI data was a godsend though – we never booked ahead but at our 3pm wine stop we’d decide if we wanted to stop at the municipal campsite in 5,10 or 15km then use the garmin to navigate to it.

nasher
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘French mapping for touring’ is closed to new replies.