• This topic has 249 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 10 posts - 241 through 250 (of 250 total)
  • French Alps MTB guiding row in the Telegraph
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Strikes me that to be a conscientious objector nowadays requires a high degree of selectivity, otherwise living, eating, drinking and being a consumer would be rather limited.

Other locations for riding bikes in mountains are of course available with the luxury of free choice that we currently enjoy.

Personally speaking and semantics aside, I’m gladdened to see and hear there are some people prepared to stand up to protectionism at any level, be it local or national. That said, this whole episode highlights the need for agreed and standardised regulation in the face of litigious societies and I would like to see the IMBA ( or other international representational body) more involved for the benefit of all.

wallop

i imagine the french want people to be able to stay, work, and live in the mountains, and be able to have a decent lifestyle, rather than those villages turn in to skiing and biking theme parks.

But without the ski and vtt tourism there would be fewer jobs, less income into the local economy, less investment etc etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@freeride, by the way if I write to my MEP that would be a certain Mr Farage !

digga
    Free Member

I think the language and culture thing is a major consideration from my point of view. If you’re riding tech/fast stuff, effectively blind, but for the advice and guidance of your host, you have to have a very particular dialogue – in both directions – in order to minimise risk and maximise enjoyment of the trails.

Del

But without the ski and vtt tourism there would be fewer jobs, less income into the local economy, less investment etc etc.

yes, i agree, and i think the french authorities will want business to thrive, but also for people to live, work, have kids etc. etc. I grew up in a devon seaside town. I don’t live there now. No decent, reasonably paid work there, after the main industrial employer collapsed and pulled out. Property prices are high, as geographically it’s a wonderful place, but try finding decent paid work. it’s the same story in so many tourist spots around the UK. down at heal, a bit scruffy, with a population that doubles in the summer.
    schools closing in some picturesque villages because no-one actually lives there any more, they just holiday in their second homes, or let them out during the season.
    if the french ski guides can’t or won’t be mtb guides or aren’t any good at it that’s their problem, but too many purely seasonal, low paid workers does not help a community to thrive.

atlaz
    Free Member

and therefore act on behalf of all of the remaining open, welcoming and not outwardly corrupt nor racist French people I interact with on a daily basis.

“Not outwardly corrupt”. You really can’t stop yourself can you. Awesome advert for your company.

jambalaya
    Free Member

if the french ski guides can’t or won’t be mtb guides or aren’t any good at it that’s their problem, but too many purely seasonal, low paid workers does not help a community to thrive.

@Del
    I do agree with you although the mountain resorts didn’t used to exist at all, they where high summer pastures for farmers. Skiing as a leisure activity was invented by the British.

wallop

yes, i agree, and i think the french authorities will want business to thrive, but also for people to live, work, have kids etc. etc. I grew up in a devon seaside town. I don’t live there now. No decent, reasonably paid work there, after the main industrial employer collapsed and pulled out. Property prices are high, as geographically it’s a wonderful place, but try finding decent paid work. it’s the same story in so many tourist spots around the UK. down at heal, a bit scruffy, with a population that doubles in the summer.
    schools closing in some picturesque villages because no-one actually lives there any more, they just holiday in their second homes, or let them out during the season.

I understand – I’m from West Cornwall and it’s even worse down there, but some of these places, without tourism, really have nothing. At least the mountains have some year-round tourism industry – my home town is completely desolate in winter.

juan
    Free Member

If I was in my early 20’s I’d be over there myself guiding, the last thing on my mind would be scrimping together a deposit for a mortgage, I’d be getting pissed every night and trying to snake into as many chalet girls as was humanly possible. It’s hardly something that is going to support a wife and kids back home so I dare say a majority of the folk out there are doing it because they want to not because they have to ?

Well now I am sure your clients will feel quite safe now knowing that they”l be guided by hangover piss-head.

My sweeping statements are based purely on my own experience, others no doubt have theirs. I like to base my thought process on life itself and not what it says in the good book,

So hardly a generality then.

As a French guy living in the UK I find the above comments very nasty and uncalled for. Yes I agree with TA that the french guides are trying to protect their interests but that is the same everywhere. Live with it or do something else.

Well as I said in my first comment it is exactly the same in the UK.

Although have you forgotten that France has banned wearing the Islamic Hijab in public?!

And possibly anything that will cover your full face.

As an ex-guide working outside of Britain but mainly guiding Brits, I think the real reason that companies employ such people, is that the locals aren’t stupid enough to work for the wages that these companies pay.

Apparently wage seems to be fine for FA but not the corrupt government.

I don’t know who pays for the course if you are a French Citizen

everyone, Universities are free in France? If you have a legal french business set up as part of the taxes you’re payig for your employees training through funds too.

MSP

jambalaya – Member

Our black cabs are the best in the world. They have to buy a specified expensive vehicle, they have to have an expensive licence and undertake specific training. To deregulate the business overnight via the backdoor as has been done is a crime.

Viewing 10 posts - 241 through 250 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘French Alps MTB guiding row in the Telegraph’ is closed to new replies.