• This topic has 83 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Freind needs help with two year old speeding fine he knew nothing about!
  • 12fifty
    Free Member

Yep. The £800 was a real loss which cost share holders/customers.

LOL

The speeding didn’t cost anyone anything.

But in all seriousness, speeding is stupid, speeding in 30’s and 20’s is just reckless.

Cougar

so long as you stand next to someone that’s done something worse.

So long as you stand next to someone whom you can claim has done something worse.

Couger agree with your sentiments exactly.

The one thing I took away from that course was how shockingly poor most people’s roadcraft / theory was (in that room anyway). One lad fessed up that he didn’t know any road signs apart from the half dozen he’d memorised to get him through the test. Practically no-one knew what a dual carriageway was, or any of the speed limits for road classifications beyond the motorway.

I don’t know about a speed awareness course, what we need is a regular “do you actually know what the frank you’re doing?” course.

almightydutch
    Free Member

12fifty…First off you are a thief!!!!…something that 90%* of the public, unlike speeders, are not. (*STW allows making up stats does it not?)

Yes that is much worse than 1mph over what the ACPO guidelines state for prosecution whilst speeding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

(*STW allows making up stats does it not?)

Yep, 80% of all STW stats are made up.

12fifty
    Free Member

12fifty…First off you are a thief!

LOL

mattbibbings
    Free Member

My friend says thank you to all those who have contributed to the original question. He said he is not bothered about all the chuntering about if stealing from a bank is a crime or not.

He is considering a trip to the police station.

oldgit
    Free Member

I wonder if there are forums elsewhere, where all the guys who stole goods from me admit it and follow up with a good old smiley face?

Well anyway I know a few names to avoid in the classifieds, or do we support the fraudsters on there now?

He is considering a trip to the police station.

Followed by a sound sleep and no panic when there’s a knock at the door.

edlong
    Free Member

Although you, sorry, your friend, might not think they are on record for this, unless you have had any dealings with the police since, you might find that there is a warrant out for your arrest for non-attendance, non-payment of fine etc.

If you do go the local police station to ‘fess up, suggest you avoid doing this on a Friday afternoon since, if there is a warrant out for you, you will be locked up until the court can process you on Monday morning.

rebel12
    Free Member

First off you’re a tit for speeding, full stop.

But in all seriousness, speeding is stupid, speeding in 30’s and 20’s is just reckless.

So you’ve never ever been faster than the posted speed limit, even by a couple of mph – not ever?

Either you’ve never driven, which makes you ill placed to comment on this thread, or you’re a complete liar. Either way the word ‘muppet’ springs to mind.

njee20
    Free Member

Well anyway I know a few names to avoid in the classifieds, or do we support the fraudsters on there now?

Mmm, I thought that, one to avoid for sure. Stealing £800 (irrespective of the ‘victim’) actually being compared to speeding? Mental.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m loving that someone is seriously trying to defend credit card fraud by hiding behind someone who has been caught speeding. Both are criminal offences. One person is a thief and so stupid that they can’t actually recognise that fact and one person is a speeder who should have known better but seems to be seeking advice as to how best to resolve their situation.

12fifty
    Free Member

So you’ve never ever been faster than the posted speed limit, even by a couple of mph – not ever?

Either you’ve never driven, which makes you ill placed to comment on this thread, or you’re a complete liar. Either way the word ‘muppet’ springs to mind.

In the statement “you’re a tit for speeding” do I say I have never broken the speed limit? do I? Read it back to yourself if it helps.

Speeding is a tit like thing to do, if for instance you’d lost a child because someone was doing the best part of 40 down your street what would your response to casually shirking off the fact that driving over the speed limit is stupid thing to be doing?

Challenging the perception that speeding is a socially acceptable thing is just one way to make the roads a safer place for us all to be out cycling on.

credit card fraud

Jesus wept, forgetting about a credit card you got in university, travelling and moving around so much you don’t receive any letters and letting the OP know that after 6 years bad debts are written of a statute barred has now escalated to credit card fruad now! You lot are ace!

aracer
    Free Member

MRDA

You appear to be assuming that when I’m quoting a speed it’s derived from the car speedo – as always the speedo got calibrated with a GPS when I first got the car (for the record it’s almost spot on at 30 and actually only reads ~72 at a real 70, so nothing like the error usually claimed for speedos). I’m fairly sure that when people are catching me as I’m doing a steady 30 that they’re speeding (conversely I don’t tend to go as slow past cameras as most people).

Drac

Why was a 2 year old driving?

Cougar

if for instance you’d lost a child because someone was doing the best part of 40 down your street what would your response to casually shirking off the fact that driving over the speed limit is stupid thing to be doing?

They’ve not lost a child because someone was driving at “the best part of 40” (whatever that means), they’ve lost a child because they’ve failed to adequately supervise them and teach them road sense.

To be fair though, that’s not wholly surprising. When I was a lad, Darth Vader was on the telly teaching us to look right, look left and look right again. Kids of today, most of their parents don’t have any basic road awareness so they’ve no hope really. Better just to leave them to run feral and shift the blame to the driver.

Cougar

MRDA

Are you Max from Hart to Hart?

You appear to be assuming that when I’m quoting a speed it’s derived from the car speedo

I am, because that’s what most people do; though I wasn’t referring to you specifically, I was generalising.

flicker
    Free Member

Challenging the perception that speeding is a socially acceptable thing is just one way to make the roads a safer place for us all to be out cycling on.

It is, although I’m not sure I’d trust your moral judgement if you concider a minor speeding offence to be greater than theft/fraud, victim and value aren’t important.

flicker, habitual speeder, but as honest as the day is long 😉

flicker
    Free Member

piemonster – Member

Well, I’ve learnt something new today.

Committing a crime isn’t too bad, so long as you stand next to someone that’s done something worse.

Not really, when it comes to theft or harming someone, it’s simple, don’t do it, everything else, shades of grey 🙂

piemonster

Well, that’s another new thing today.

Yeh, soz about the theft, I forgot.

Edit, not in reply to the above post.

pictonroad

this got out of hand.

Like your friend, I have an *ahem* friend who may or may not have done this. I understand that he went back to said house and noticed that the letters eventually accumulated into a court summons for the original offence.

He however continued to ignore it, and it appears to have gone away. He recently had to attend a speed awareness course and no mention was made. The original offence was some years back and things may be different by now but I doubt it tbh…

Your experience may vary.

ps, My friend thought the awareness course was very good and the stopping distance bit was very instructive, he’s a reformed character now.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“speeding really isnt that bad, providing it’s not excessive, and conditions permitting.”
    One of the most anti social crimes there is. Be 1 mph or 100 over its the same. criminal and disgusting. I shall say no more for fear of a ban.

mattsccm
    Free Member

F******* typical STW thread though. whole point of the Op has been lost. Shall we start again?

njee20
    Free Member

Jesus wept, forgetting about a credit card you got in university

How did you forget? It’s not like there’s a delay between spending and needing to pay.

F******* typical STW thread though. whole point of the Op has been lost. Shall we start again?

No, we’ve got a good lynching underway.

flicker
    Free Member

Give over, these are the most entertaining, there’s only so many log burner threads a man can take…..

piemonster

Oh I dunno.

There’s a CMD apologist thread just started up.

nedrapier

mattsccm – Member
    “speeding really isnt that bad, providing it’s not excessive, and conditions permitting.”
    One of the most anti social crimes there is. Be 1 mph or 100 over its the same. criminal and disgusting. I shall say no more for fear of a ban.

Great.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, I’m sure that’s exactly what happened, especially given:

I’d run up a grand on a credit card then moved to jersey and yadada they never caught up with me

Are you Max from Hart to Hart?
    [/quote]

I’ve no idea what you’re referring to, but I probably should have put it in full as I was originally going to – when checking the attribution I found that MRDA is supposedly a standard acronym for “Mandy Rice-Davies Applies” and decided to be too clever (in case you’ve still not got it “well they would, wouldn’t they?”)

So how would you compare 71mph on the motorway with deliberately defrauding a bank out of a grand on the scale of criminality? If the motorway speed limit was 120kph (the likely metric equivalent if we ever metricated and still below the limit in many other countries) would 71mph be just as disgusting, or would a minor change in the law completely change things?

Original point to the thread? Was there an original point to the thread?

Cougar

“well they would, wouldn’t they?”

Aha.

One of the most anti social crimes there is. Be 1 mph or 100 over its the same.

71mph down an empty motorway at 3am is the same as going past a school at 120mph at 3pm. Sure, there’s not a court in the land that would disagree with that one.

I shall say no more for fear of a ban.

That’s not going to net you a ban, just a condescending roll of the eyes and shaking of the head. If you’re really unfortunate there might even be some tutting.

MartynS

Right OP.. What exactly does your friend have???

The system is basically..
    Offence
    S172 served to Registered keeper within 14 days (this is to I’d driver it’s not the offer of points/course)
    RK has 28 days to name driver
    Named driver gets NIP to respond to, either points/fine, course, or court if serious enough.

This can all go adrift if addresses are in limbo at of around the time of the offence. Your v5 will have a DocRef number on it.
    This is when the car was registered to the address shown. Was the offence pre or post this date?
    Your friend needs to be really careful here.
    Worst case scenario.
    You haven’t responded to anything, it’s been through court and your friend has been banned.
    Best case the police force are on a fishing trip.. If the S172 wasn’t correctly served within 14 days the offence “times out” there’s a template letter on the rac website to help with this.
    I’d get your friend to get the details together and post up on pepipoo for some proper advice…….

rebel12
    Free Member

In the statement “you’re a tit for speeding” do I say I have never broken the speed limit? do I? Read it back to yourself if it helps.

So that makes you a tit then (or a hypocritical tit) 🙂

Speeding is a tit like thing to do, if for instance you’d lost a child because someone was doing the best part of 40 down your street what would your response to casually shirking off the fact that driving over the speed limit is stupid thing to be doing?

No I’d probably keep a better eye on my kids and not let them play in an area where there is traffic.

Err, roads were designed for cars, not cyclists.

footflaps

Really?

Most of the roads in Cambridge pre-date the invention of the motor car by some period….

CountZero

That’s the difference isn’t it. One’s illegal and the other is dangerous. Ie, if the speed limits are set appropriately, then driving above the speed limit will also be driving too fast for the conditions, by definition.

The alternative would be that you’ve just committed the heinous crime of driving faster than a number someone arbitrarily made up for no good reason, which would seem crazy, would it not?
    This ^

hora
    Free Member

So no points came on the paper part of license to subsequent addresses?

Sorry. Im confused. Is she winding you up? File it. Bin.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Well, my friend* went to the local police HQ today to throw himself on their mercy as he drives a lot for work and needs to be squeaky clean when it comes to motoring.

The kindly desk Sargent checked the reg and name against the computer.

Nothing came up.

She then called the central processing unit who confirmed that the offence had been expired because the police did not prosecute within the appropriate time.

So my freind * is very very 😀

wwaswas

result!

oldboy
    Free Member

You’ve beaten the system – well done!

piemonster

You’re friends lucky day

poly
    Free Member

Ok – you ignored my previous advice*! If bailiffs were knocking on the door looking for £1000 its not likely to disappear because the original speeding offence “expired”**; what’s more if/when it eventually catches up with you the quality of your argument about not knowing is diminished when you tell them, “but Sgt Helpful told me three months ago the speeding had been dropped.”

* feel free to ignore my advice, but I suspect from things he’s posted elsewhere that Crankboy is actually a defence lawyer and has probably dealt with people who suddenly find themselves in a cell by burying their head in the sand.

** its quite likely that because you didn’t respond to the NIP/s172 request that action was raised in the Magistrates’ Court for failing to identify the driver. I don’t know if the Central Ticketing people would even be aware of this; I’m fairly sure they won’t know the penalty the court imposed.

imnotverygood

Nope, roads were designed so that cars are able to use them. As can anyone else. Just because a road is designed so an HGV can use it doesn’t mean you can’t use it in your car.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Err, thanks poly for your help but the police did not prosecute me.(Sod it, it was me).

They told me so today. They raised no action in relation to this offence. They checked and everything. No head in the sand here. I laid myself on their mercy and was told I had nothing to answer. End of.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Freind needs help with two year old speeding fine he knew nothing about!’ is closed to new replies.