Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Freezing October
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Christ almighty. My fuel bill (gas and electric) for the last 12 months was somewhere between £1000 and £1500.

I think those are average for 2 bed household? Yes?

Cougar

I’ve no idea to be honest.

I’m in a 2-bed 1890s terrace. The gas system (back boiler, fire, pipes, rads) is probably 40 years old and the electrics are way older. I’d be amazed if a modern house cost that much to run.

onewheelgood

My 4 bed semi-detached, built 20 years ago, costs about £1000 a year for gas and electricity.

twonks

We used to have the thermostat simply set to 21 all year round. If the house needed heating, it got it. If it didn’t, no energy was used.

Then went to a smarter system when the boiler spat its dummy out. Now use a Nest thermostat that drops the temperature to 16C when we are in bed or not here.

Hasn’t made a huge difference to the bills but we sleep a lot better.

If I was on my own I’d probably have it a bit cooler but not much.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’m in a 2-bed 1890s terrace.

Not bad for an old house. I think mine might be built post WWII.

Hasn’t made a huge difference to the bills but we sleep a lot better.

Approximately how much per year if you set it to 21 all year round? I think 18 to 20C might be better?

CountZero

Something must be wrong here as I am freezing …

No, you’re not. In order to be freezing, it needs to be 0 degrees Centigrade or lower, that the point water freezes at. You may be chilled, you’re not freezing.
    I think it was around 9 degrees outside today, I was out in it from 10am to 7pm, I’ll let you know when it gets really freezing, when I have to scrape ice from the screens of forty-odd cars during the day.

marcg868
    Free Member

Stays constantly at 19-22 Celsius downstairs and 22-23.
    Heating is set to come on downstairs if it drops below 18, and it goes on for an hour at 1900 when the missus watches Emmerdale and whinges it’s cold.
    We use £1.50 of gas per day in winter and about £0.30 a day May-October.

House is a new build and very well insulated and to be honest gets extremely warm in Summer. Think it got to 39 Celsius upstairs when it was 25 Celsius outside In summer.

plus-one

18c is the magic number for me. I get sleepy if it’s any higher

stevied
    Free Member

If it were up to to me I’d have the thermo set to 16 but with a wife who doesn’t like less than 20 I’m screwed.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Some impressively low fuel costs on here. My place is a 3 bed semi, moderately large, 30s build with no cavity. While I’ve been here I’ve put modern double glazing in and between 150mm and 300mm of insulation in the loft, also pulled down some bits of sloping ceiling to gain access and kingspan above, and fitted a modern Combi boiler. Before the stoves went in I set the thermostat to 19C morning and evening, 15C the rest of the time. My electric bill is something like £830 annually and my gas bill was almost as much, which eOn used to tell me was slightly below others in the area. The stoves have changed that and save me £500-550 off my annual has bill. If my wife was more confident with the stove we could save a little more as the heating does get brought on for a few hours on cold days and that’s fine, once she and the kids have 3 layers (thermal, shirt, sweater) I don’t expect them to put up with feeling cold, and the house could drop to 15C fairly quickly without heating. Once in home from work the stoves get lit and so far have coped with everything but then last winter was mild. If we had a proper cold spell, well below zero for a while, I’d probably need to flick the c/h on to warm the bedrooms. I’d love some more insulation…. If there are ever decent grants for external wall insulation then I’d do it.

breadcrumb

It’s chilly up here in NW Cumbria. Frosted up cars and frost on the grass the last 3 mornings. Roads felt a little slape on the ride in this morning too.

Detached rural house, open views to the Solway so gets a bit of wind. Downstairs has four zones for the UFH, 20°c by day, 18°c at night. I don’t like it to drop too far as UFH is quite slow to heat up but holds the heat well.

Upstairs is set to 18°c, which feels a little warm to me through night at times but with two little ones it isn’t going any lower.

charrison94
    Free Member

I’ve got a newbuild 3 bed semi with upstairs and downstairs semi smart thermostats. I have the heating set to 21/22 degrees for the times I’ll usually be in each place accepting that sometimes I’ll be heating an empty house

Sometimes I whack it upto 24 if I’m cold or need stuff to dry fast on the radiators, I use a dishwasher and washing machine probably every 3 days but never the tumble dryer. Showers always under 5 mins never baths. Gas & Electric costs me about £40/month. I could save a bit but partly why I bought a new home is for the energy efficiency and warmth, life is to short to be cold or worry about putting the heating on

jam-bo

If it were up to to me I’d have the thermo set to 16 but with a wife who doesn’t like less than 20 I’m screwed.

my netatmo allows me to set an offset, so even though the box on the wall says its 19 deg, its actually 18.

toby1

Frost every day so far this week, don’t remember this many in total last winter. Chilly rides at the moment!

richmtb

I grew up in a house with one coal fire and no central heating. On cold winter days you could see your breath in the bedrooms upstairs.

As a consequence I don’l like being cold! Thermostat is set at 21.5 and the heating comes on as required only exception is if we are away, then I set it at 15 so its not totally freezing when we come home. I’m in a well insulated house that’s only 8 years old so fuel costs are still okay.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Last Saturday I was out riding in shorts and short sleeved jersey. It was around 26 degrees! Last night’s ride was -3 🥶

We put the central heating on at the beginning of the month only because the people in the holiday flat we have connected to the same heating system complained it was too cold at night. We have underfloor heating with a geothermal heat pump and a very well insulated house.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m in a 2-bed 1890s terrace. The gas system (back boiler, fire, pipes, rads) is probably 40 years old and the electrics are way older. I’d be amazed if a modern house cost that much to run.

90s 2 bed terrace here, decent but not exceptional loft insulation, original double glazing which is way past its best tbh, and no cavity wall insulation. I’m paying about £500 pa for gas and electric. Only me here full time though, which must cut down the HW requirement a lot. I live in the SW too, and so far this autumn I don’t think there’s been a day where we didn’t get into double figures so that must make a difference – I was a bit taken aback by the thread title tbh!

I’m very surprised your estimate of your energy costs is as vague as 1000-1500 Cougar, that suggests to me that you just don’t pay attention to what you use.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I’ve set mine to be on for certain hours all year round. I let thermostat turn the boiler on.
    17C in the morning (630-800) and 18C in the evenings (1730-2200). Also have the dehumidifier set to 70% humidity during winter. ~£60pm in a 1970s 2bed semi-detached with arse loft-insulation.

I didn’t know what heating was until I left home. Just had 1 fan heater in the front-room to dry out the clothes. Ice buildup on the inside of single-paned windows and going to bed in 2 sets if clothing was regular. I much prefer the warmth. Sitting indoors 13.5C sounds utterly miserable to me.

phil5556

It’s got cold in the west of Scotland this week. Our heating’s been on and off since September, more on now.

18 or 19 on the stat is about right, it’s in the hall so the coldest part of the house and 20ish everywhere else.

Set to 12 ish at night and it occasionally kicks in a bit, don’t like to be hot at night.

Sometimes just have the woodburner on and open the lounge door when it gets too hot and the rest of the house gets some heat.

Direct debit is at £200/month at the moment for gas & elec but we’re in credit and will probably have a better idea of where it should actually be at the end of the winter.

4 bed 60s house with very little insulation and upstairs is in the roof with dormers, probably nearly as inefficient house as you could find.

chewkw
    Free Member

Direct debit is at £200/month at the moment for gas & elec …

Crikey that is a lot to pay per month.

A chunk of the income will go to heating the house … 😮😑

andy8442
    Free Member

CC comes on at 6am until 9.30am then back on at 4pm until 8.30pm. Thats it, no more. In the old house, the stove would fill in the gaps when it was seriously cold,but in the 4 yrs in the new house it has either not been cold enough and/or better insulation.

scotroutes

About £240/month for all gas and electric. 15 year old 4 bedroom house. Thermostat sits at 21C but isn’t on 24/7.

I suspect the average temperatures where I am are amongst the coldest for anyone in the UK.

phil5556

Crikey that is a lot to pay per month.

A chunk of the income will go to heating the house … 😮😑

I suspect once it settles down we’ll be at about £150/month. Scottish power last year put our DD down to about £70 and then the new smart meter didn’t send any readings for nearly a year so we ended up with a big bill when I finally sent a manual reading. Put it up to 200 and now we’re back in credit. Will sort it in the spring.

Dickyboy

My 4 bed semi-detached, built 20 years ago, costs about £1000 a year for gas and electricity.

That’s pretty good for the frozen North, 4 bed detached here in the sunny south and ours is about £850pa with thermo set at 20c for no more than 10hrs a day.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m feeling better about my bill again now after seeing some here.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’m feeling better about my bill again now after seeing some here.

I am trying to get my bill as low as possible as I am already paying more than my previous rental (all inclusive). My current energy bill will be extra extra that I have to pay now … 😧

Now I hope for mild winter …

phil5556

I’ve actually just checked and from 2016 til now we’ve averaged £1150 / year gas & elec.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’ve actually just checked and from 2016 til now we’ve averaged £1150 / year gas & elec.

Not too bad considering the size of the house.

My target is a combine total of £500/year for both gas & electricity … 😨

iainc

^^^^ why ?

Unless you are in a fuel poverty situation, and apologies if you are, why compromise on creature comfort?

zippykona

Very warm 1st of November.

chewkw
    Free Member

^^^^ why ?

Unless you are in a fuel poverty situation, and apologies if you are, why compromise on creature comfort?

Just want to save some £££ if I can.
    Even when all were inclusive in previous rental I did not go all out on heating etc.

Yes, warmer today 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

where ? not here.

Drac

Or here just north of Chewkw world, it’s cold, wet and miserable.

zippykona

where ? not here.

16 degrees in Epsom and I’ve had to put my shorts on.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not sure why as the room temp shows around 16.9C but I am feeling cold in my hands and feet. 🥶 🤔

singletrackmind

Why…
    Screwing the climate by heating your house to 20 plus degrees so you wander around in your pants rather than putting on clothes
    More money to be available for new bike pstts
    More money available to put into ppp, plus the tax benefit means stopping work years earlier
    Not wearing out boiler parts by having heating on is still valid, less so but still an indirect cost
    Noise. Clanky rads, clicking pipes and the whooomph when the boiler fired disturbs my sleep

pedlad

This thread made me check mine and do a meter reading. We’re on £102 dd pcm at them moment in a 4 bed Edwardian house with good insulation,wooden double glazing and recent extension. Has underfloor heating int he new bit adn try to let the thermostats at 19-20 determine when the boiler fires apart from shut down overnight.

I try to be organised with switching as the buggers never give you a good deal for loyalty – currently paying

Electricity 15.63p
    Gas 3.64p
    according to the tariff comparison rate

chewkw
    Free Member

Electricity 15.63p
    Gas 3.64p
    according to the tariff comparison rate

It looks like my tariff is slightly lower so I will stick with them for now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Positively tropical up Old Winchester Hill today compared to yesterday, even had bare arms and lower legs.

Long may warm November continue!

neilnevill
    Free Member

okay so I’ve just checked and I’ve been with Bulb since March paying £86pcm, I have just swapped to Green and am waiting for my final bill and refund but it looks like I’m about £250 in credit. You might think that’s about right as heating bills are bigger in the winter but since i heat the place 95% by wood stove my gas bills basically don’t change. the electric must go up bit as the tumble drier is on more and such. So I was heading for an annual combined bill with Bulb of around £900. Green should save me a chunk though I hope.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Freezing October’ is closed to new replies.