Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Freezing October
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Ok so who are freezing their nuts off at the moment?

When do you normally turn on the central heating (on constant)?

At what temperature?

How long do you keep the centre heating on?

Yesterday my bedroom was 9C and living room 14C … nuts and feet were freezing.

Turn on the central heating to max for one hour to get temp up to 17C but the bedroom only managed 12C … 🥶

I feel like living in Victorian Britain … 😱

p/s: in previous rental properties it was all inclusive so never felt like Victorian Britain …
    Also my computer CPU never goes beyond 31C for the past three days … idling at 26C … crikey.

Caher

Its been a pretty mild autumn so feels colder. Saying that I went out for a ride on Sunday and now have the lurgy. I do have the heating on for that reason, but when i am better it will be too warm for heating.

chewkw
    Free Member

Its been a pretty mild autumn so feels colder. Saying that I went out for a ride on Sunday and now have the lurgy. I do have the heating on for that reason, but when i am better it will be too warm for heating.

Gas or electric heating?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Turn on the central heating to max for one hour to get temp up to 17C but the bedroom only managed 12C … 🥶

That’s not really the way to do it as you’re just heating a bit of air when you really need to heat the fabric of the house up.
    Sunny Cheshire has not been bad this month but you may be further north.
    End of the day the only free heat you can get is solar gain and that depends on your location and aspect. Otherwise you need your heating on more.

Caher

Gas – on and off all day, as I work from home. About 20. It’ll be off when I am better.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dracs iPad still has its windows open.

Meanwhile this time last year I was riding up the lecht in wheelie bin deep snow…..

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’re without rads in 2/3s of the ground floor right now and I’m amazed at how well an 8kw stove is heating an 18m X 5m room with great also showing through a wide opening into the 6m X 4m room next door.
    When the reads do go back on they’ll be turned down for sure (oil ch)

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s not really the way to do it as you’re just heating a bit of air when you really need to earn the fabric of the house up.

😲

Do I set the central heating to constant then set the individual radiator to auto setting the temperature to 17C?

The thin wall of my bedroom is facing north with a ventilation duct (that I can actually see out) and none of my neighbours are around most of the time … no heat sharing … 🥶

We’re without rads in 2/3s of the ground floor right now and I’m amazed at how well an 8kw stove is heating an 18m X 5m room with great also showing through a wide opening into the 6m X 4m room next door.
    When the reads do go back on they’ll be turned down for sure (oil ch)

I wish I have a stove at the moment … arrghhh… when I get my own house I will have one.

onehundredthidiot

So how much does the smart meter say you’ve used?

8pm cooking dinner. Combined gas and electric sitting at £2.77. house built in 1880 with no real insulation and no loft space.

chewkw
    Free Member

So how much does the smart meter say you’ve used?

8pm cooking dinner. Combined gas and electric sitting at £2.77. house built in 1880 with no real insulation and no loft space.

Last month my gas bill was £1.27 …. think it was 5 unit volume whatever. Always take quick shower and hardly use central heating at all.
    I have electric cooker so the bill was £20 plus …

simondbarnes

I haven’t thought about putting the heating on yet. I did close my bedroom window on Monday night though (has been open since March).

It’s 13.5C in my lounge at the moment which seems fine just sat here listening to some records.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a glorious 20deg Infront of the stove with the window shut.

Was -3 last night outside.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Turned storage heaters on this last week, giving them each the first charge of the season at max input and output.

Put them each on half input last night and I’ve felt slightly chilled all day, but not helped myself by not doing a turbo session after deciding to wuss out from facing the wind and bit of rain outdoors.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s 13.5C in my lounge at the moment which seems fine just sat here listening to some records.

Crikey … that is freezing cold! 🥶

It is 16C in my lounge now but my feet are freezing cold as is my hands. All windows closed btw.

simondbarnes

Crikey … that is freezing cold!

No, it quite literally isn’t 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

No, it quite literally isn’t 🙂

Something must be wrong here as I am freezing …

simondbarnes

8pm cooking dinner. Combined gas and electric sitting at £2.77.

Blimey. I’d need a new job if my utility bills were that high!

simondbarnes

Last month my gas bill was £1.27

Mine was £5.17 but I like a long, hot shower every morning and the occasional bath 🙂

kelron
    Free Member

No heating yet this year, but maybe my computer counts (judging by my electricity bill).

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine was £5.17 but I like a long, hot shower every morning and the occasional bath 🙂

No bath me just quick shower of not more than 20 mins … 😳

I have just turned on the central heating to auto and timed (radiators set to max).

Will try to auto, timed and set at certain temperature for the radiators tomorrow.

This flat is very nice and compact but blimey it is freezing cold …

The coldest in my UK life !!!

chewkw
    Free Member

No heating yet this year, but maybe my computer counts (judging by my electricity bill).

Where do you get all your heat from?
    Surely all the heat would be gone if no heating was on?

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s always 21C in my house.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s always 21C in my house.

Solar power?
    How?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Gas central heating, radiators, digital thermostat thingy. If the house goes below 21 it switches on (think that’s how it works, I just set it to 21.). Stuff living any other way, it’s no the 1970s. 😆

neilnevill
    Free Member

with 2 little girls (and a wife) freezing house is not an option. no gas burnt yet. I probably only had the C/H on for about a dozen days last winter….7.5m3 of wood through the stoves though. 18C in the girls bedroom, 21C down here by the stoves

bob_summers

Not a very practical solution admittedly but we live in the middle of a Victorian block, neighbours on all sides, walls are reasonably thick. There didn’t use to be any heating but one very cold winter about 8 years back I bought a couple of storage heaters. They haven’t been on since! And on the hottest days this summer, 40 odd degrees outside, it was still a comfortable temperature inside.

A mate lived on the too floor though and it was unbearable at either extreme.

seosamh77
    Free Member

18C in the girls bedroom,

I’d get the child services on to you, far too cold. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

with 4 jumpers on no doubt. 😆

Don’t skimp on yer heating folks it’s no worth it. 😆

I can mind it being cold pre central heating in the 80s, stuff that!

chewkw
    Free Member

Gas central heating, radiators, digital thermostat thingy. If the house goes below 21 it switches on (think that’s how it works, I just set it to 21.). Stuff living any other way, it’s no the 1970s. 😆

What’s the gas bill like if I may ask?
    I can’t spend on constant heating …

seosamh77
    Free Member

Canny mind, it’s about 80/90 quid a month for gas and leccy, 2 bedroom flat.

Cougar

Last month my gas bill was £1.27 …. think it was 5 unit volume whatever. Always take quick shower and hardly use central heating at all.
    I have electric cooker so the bill was £20 plus …

Christ almighty. My fuel bill (gas and electric) for the last 12 months was somewhere between £1000 and £1500.

iainc

Hive and gas CH in a 4 bed modern detached in west of Scotland. It’s 22 at the moment, goes down to min of 16 at night, set to variable temps between 16 and 23 through a 24 hour day, Smart meter says £6.81 gas and electric today so far, outside temp is 2.5. Annual energy bill about £1900. We don’t like to be cold in the house..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

nuts and feet were freezing.

Get some tiger balm Lad !

simondbarnes

Smart meter says £6.81 gas and electric today so far

Holy ****!

iainc

^^^ bit more than a normal weekday as I’m WFH at moment and the washer dryer has been on a few times, and dishwasher in on at mo too.

Drac

Dracs iPad still has its windows open.

Pfft! iPads don’t use Windows.

whitestone
    Free Member

CH is almost always on timed and is set to 16C – neither of us like an overly warm house and particularly don’t like it warm when sleeping.

We are in a rural location so we have oil fired central heating as we are way off-grid for gas. Rough costs for the kerosene is £600 per year. We’ve also a solid fuel stove and will use around £300 of wood and coal through the winter. The house is old stone build so no modern building specs! We are S facing so a sunny winter’s day warms the house whereas in dull weather that doesn’t happen – quite a difference when you get back before the CH has kicked in in the afternoon.

OP, from memory weren’t you SE Asia based at one point?

chewkw
    Free Member

Canny mind, it’s about 80/90 quid a month for gas and leccy, 2 bedroom flat.

Okay sounds reasonable as I have budgeted £40 per month max (£80 for both gas and leccy) throughout the year. Any saving from the summer should go to winter heating … I guess.

OP, from memory weren’t you SE Asia based at one point?

Yes, right on the equatorial North Borneo. Coldest day about 25C, hottest about 39C and average 33c.

Smart meter says £6.81 gas and electric today so far

Holy ****!

That is a lot of money … 😮

I wonder if those portable kerosene heater will be cheaper to run or those portable gas cylinder heating stove …

CH is almost always on timed and is set to 16C – neither of us like an overly warm house and particularly don’t like it warm when sleeping.

As I found out last few days I can survive sleeping in the bedroom temperate at 9C to 14C. More than 14C I think it might get warm? No? I have 15 tog duvet and wearing long john pj … 😅

16C in the lounge is fine but my feet and hands get cold after a while.

Kryton57

It’s cold.   Thermostat is at 22 and I’m sitting in my no 1 Dad Onsie 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

That makes a difference, a big difference. I grew up in a Lakeland farm house, no CH and with ice on the insides of my bedroom window in winter, hence 16C seems tropical to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Freezing October’ is closed to new replies.