• This topic has 11 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cb.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Freestanding Wood Stoves
  • cb

Going through a few ‘issues’ at the moment trying to get a wood burner installed. Our house is early 90s, had a small open fire which I’ve now removed. Seems the depth of cavity that can be created is limited to around 350mm. This would leave the stove out into the living room which we’d rather avoid.

I’ve found a nice freestanding morso at a good price but both installers that I’ve had round have been reluctant to install it (even though it appears a much simpler job to me). Their reason is they don’t think it will work well enough using the rear exit flue (stove has rear or top options). This seems odd to me – any one here use a free stander with rear exit (make your own jokes)?

I get the sense that they just want to bash a hole in the wall, square it off and stick in a traditional stove.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Find a decent installer would be my advice. We have a morso 3142 Badger which is installed using the rear flue going directly into the wall. It works brilliantly and looks very smart. Do they really think that Morso and plenty of other stove manufacturers would have fitted a rear flue point if it didn’t work.

We installed ours to have 2 45 degree bends so sweeping is still easy and it has a rear access point into the flue from outside of the chimney to make it even easier to clean. We boarded up the old shallow fire place behind the stove with the correct fire proof board.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Ours is installed just like this without the twee teapot on the top.

http://morso.co.uk/product/morso-3142/

cb

surfer – that’s what I thought. I have another installer booked for Monday to take a look. Did you have to buy flue pipe with an access door or did the fitter just fabricate one? I’d quite like the sweeping to be done externally as well.

cb

Surfer, that kind of look is what I prefer – I want the morso S10-40. What (if you don’t mind me asking) flooring is yours placed on? And what depth of hearth? We will have carpet laid but I’m confused as to whether I’ll get away with 12mm of slate/glass or whether I need the full depth of hearth.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cb

strange that morsos own catalogue shows your s10-40 as a rear exit stove……

they make no referance to it being an approved “less than 100 degrees below” stove – unless its approved you will need a full depth hearth. how ever i recall seeing somewhere that all morso stoves were approved thanks to the noggie laws

double check that though , your supplier should know.

cb

Trail rat – yeah the catalogue’s cover has the top exit shown as well. I guess the brochures are international but the pictures suggest a thin glass hearth direct onto a wooden floor. I guess its artistic licence.

trail_rat
    Free Member
    cb

Thanks mate – just found the very same page!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We have a glass hearth 12mm thick onto a solid wood floor. The bottom of the legs never get more than warm to the touch at floor lever for a raised stove like our. We got the hearth made by a glazing company to get a good proportion seem to remember it was about £140 4 years ago. I seem to remember it is larger than the regs insist in front of the fire to look in proportion.

This is the stove and the fitting that was installed in the outside of the chimney.

Stove 4 by Big Surfer, on Flickr

Stove 3 by Big Surfer, on Flickr

Stove 2 by Big Surfer, on Flickr

The top 45 degree bend from the stove is actually a T with one end of the tee coming down to the trapdoor on the outside of the chimney. It does work well but a decent chimney sweep should easily be able to sweep from inside without making any mess. The guy who fitted the stove charges us £40 to clean the chimney so I let him do it rather than buy my own brushes.

cb

Very helpful – cheers bigsurfer

cb

Bigsurfer – did you ever consider putting the glass hearth on carpet? Just spoke to a guy who reckoned that it would be unsafe, not due to heat but because the hearth and stove would slip! Seems hard to believe that a 98Kg stove would move that easily?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Freestanding Wood Stoves’ is closed to new replies.