Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Freestanding bike racks
  • Marge
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience / advice on such products?
    (I need to make better use of my storage space & I cannot mark or drill the walls)

I imagine this Thule one does exactly as it says but like anything Thule it comes at a price… Thule 2-bike rack

It may well be that I need to follow my towbar rack experience and just suck up the price if I don’t want to buy crap 🙂

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I made this up a month or so ago, same reason. It was pretty simple, and I can give you the dims if needed.

Marge
    Free Member

That’s a quite excellent piece of workmanship.

You clearly have far more skills than me 🙁
    I hadn’t even considered making one myself. (I’m an apartment dweller hence don’t really have the environment for construction let alone the ability)

I think you’ve been waiting for such a topic to show off your creation 😉

nickhit3
    Free Member

don’t do yourself down, im sure you could so that! but you may want to consider one of those back wheel mount/racks that rotate your bike vertically and stash it that way. Seen a lot of ads for them recently.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Absolutely, as Nick said its not that hard really as long as you have a saw and a screwdriver, I can sort you a cutting list if it makes life easier. Bits cost about £30.00.

lovewookie

I had something similar to this:
    floor to ceiling rack

oh, here it is: Topeak stand

but the top one is cheaper.

if you’re ceilings aren’t massively high that is.

BoardinBob

Assuming your BB can accommodate it

Home

I have 4 of them

cokie

When I used to live in a flat I had this setup:

I used this rack from Ebay.
    Easy to assemble and huge amounts of adjustment. I put some cardboard between the wall and the stand to stop it marking the walls. Worked a treat.

spot
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Michelangelo-Bike-Rack/dp/B017WOPC3Q

easily duplicated with some wood or tubing

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting one of these but was worried about them falling forward. How stable are they? I have visions of them sliding along the wall or tipping over and smashing in to things inside the house.

blacknose
    Free Member

I had 5 bikes to store and the same problem, so I built this:

It’s based on the plans from here http://www.instructables.com/id/Vertical-Bike-Rack-from-2x4s albeit somewhat altered.

fudge9202
    Free Member

blacknose that’s a cracking way to store bikes, the link gives great tips. A weekend project?

blacknose
    Free Member

It took me one incredibly hungover day, but I had the woodyard cut the timber to the correct lengths because I live in a flat with no where for a table saw. Probably a solid weekend if you’re cutting the timber yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Freestanding bike racks’ is closed to new replies.