Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Freesat vs Aerial re-tune – which one?
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Moved to a new house and the TV signal throught the aerial is rubbish, can't pick up Freeview. The postcode checker says we should, so I guess the aerial is borked.

There is a satellite dish on the house, with a cable running in.

So can you just plug a Freesat box in and that's it? No installation (as the dish is already there?). Or is it cheaper to get someone out to sort out the aerial?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So can you just plug a Freesat box in and that's it?

yes. the non-HD ones are pretty cheap.

If you also plug the freesat box into a Broadband Router you may be able to get iPlayer too! I'm not sure if all boxes work it or not.

Theres a difference between FreeSat and 'free to air satellite' – someone else maybe able to clear that up better than me

soma_rich
    Free Member

Freesat is great, my tuner is built into my HD TV and the quality is superb. No I player though on the freesat channel it lists the manufacturers who "do" iplayer I seem to remember Sony being one.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Freesat is a Sky backed service where you pay a one off charge and free viewing thereafter.

Free-to-air describes the hundreds of channels you get free from satellite.

Don't bother with freesat just get a free-to-air receiver from Maplins for £40 and plug it into your dish (which will almost certainly be pointed at Astra 28E).

As soma_rich points out, you get TVs with sat receivers or even HD sar receivers built in so even easier – just plug the dish straight into the telly.

You'll get more channels and options than with freeview and often better picture quality.

If you want HD – get an HD free-to-air box for around £100.

Most of these boxes have a USB out that allows you to record onto an external HDD or you can buy boxes with the HDD built in which is more convenient but may cost £150-300 depending on what you want.

wors

Freesat is a Sky backed service where you pay a one off charge and free viewing thereafter.

Freesat is a bbc and itv backed service where the only outlay id your box or enabled tv. I have a sony freesat tv and has said, you can get iplayer through it when linked to the internet. Itv player is coming soon too

colonelwax
    Free Member

Cheers, I figured it was probably easier to go with Freesat.

Didn't know about the free-to-air boxes, and iplayer throught the TV sounds good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Freesat vs Aerial re-tune – which one?’ is closed to new replies.