Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • FREERIDE!!!!!!!!! it's mostly bollox, isn't it?
  • alpin
    Free Member

been browsing the net looking for some nice vids that include some nice riding, but DON'T include thrashy music and RAD sh!t. just the sort of riding that 95% partake in, that is, just riding along (more or less).

but it strikes me that peoples idea of FREERIDE is somewhat skewed.

take THIS VIDEO for example. what is freeridey about it? the fact they've got long travel bikes and yellow rims?

a mate of mine used to think he was a 'freerider' with his big fork, full face, leg and arm protection. i think he's slowly realised that most of the riding he did was just that, riding. we've weaned him off the full face and the double crown fork and steered him in a more 'riding' direction, one where one actually rides as opposed to having to push up each incline.

another example of a twisted genre. not once do his frigging wheels leave the ground.

grrrr.

MrSmith
    Free Member

freeride is a state of mind.

Bregante

another example of a twisted genre. not once do his frigging wheels leave the ground

Yup. Defo looks more "all mountain" to me

😆 😆 😆

mafiafish
    Free Member

Freeride in my view is red bull rampage etc or riding on set peices rather than a course e.g. a big drop, stairs, big gaps, urban stuff. As you say it's not doing AM riding on a overly burly bike.

HTTP404
    Free Member

you've obviously never seen UK's No.1 freerider have you?

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

another example of a twisted genre. not once do his frigging wheels leave the ground.

Rheinland .. I think you will find they don't quite understand what a XC trail is let alone DH until you get to the Alps. As for pushing up and wearing a full face helmet to ride the sections shown in the video nuff said 😕

chopperT
    Free Member

It does look quite steep in places… 🙂

sodafarls
    Free Member

It's just silly marketing crap from unimaginative people who get paid to sell bicycles.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice vids but freeride? FFS. Even allowing for the video flattening out the trails I have taken the tandem down more technical trails and I know I am distinctly average as a rider

jedi

freeride- riding your bike in a non competetive envioroment 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I must alert the Freeride International Governance Council. Let them know people are making videos that are lacking in gnar and falsely labeling them freeride. Heads will roll.

willy
    Free Member

i saw his wheels leave the ground!! i saw his wheels leave the ground!! shonking bike though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

..They're French.

I don't think much more needs to be said.

I do like the way he appears to be chuffing one out at the beginning of the video though. 😆

All Mountain / Freeride bollox… I go riding each week with guys who are far better riders than I'll ever be, riding what are pretty much XC bikes and absolutely nailing scary big rock drops and pretty sketchy stuff. It's not the bike or the attached marketing bollox – it's the rider. You either got, or you ain't. (And I haven't!)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It's not the bike or the attached marketing bollox – it's the rider. You either got, or you ain't. (And I haven't!)

Spot on. Look at this month's Mint Sauce 😆

stew1982
    Free Member

Your all wrong – Blatantly thats high quality "freeriding" video!
    Well I guess it means I'm an exteme freerider then (although I thought I was more lardy xc man)!!! 😆

AndyP
    Free Member

'mostly' bollocks?

lock
    Free Member

does it really matter anyways 😆

i love watching some of the vids on transitions web site,just great riding all round,really like the little vid on cotics site with the guy riding the simple,

then again i like watching road racing and there is some awesome bmx vids about.check out subrosa or street phire v6

adamdv8
    Free Member

saw a video of some chap called Elbry – he got off the ground once IIRC. anyone got a link for it?

silveringsurfer
    Free Member

Badly titled vid I agree but if that is all one descent then I want to ride it – looks ace.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

HTTP404 – Do we have a No.1 Freerider?

Its all riding, some people have more balls than others and others have more skills than others – some people have both and they are just awesome to watch, let alone ride with.

I'm happy loving what I ride (irrespective of what it could be called) and pushing myself to tackle stuff which sits just outside my current comfort zone.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am having slopestyle de ja vu 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

been browsing the net looking for some nice vids that include some nice riding, but DON'T include thrashy music and RAD sh!t. just the sort of riding that 95% partake in, that is, just riding along (more or less).

But they're dull videos! The noise and rad stuff is the only thing that makes watching MTBing videos on the internet interesting at all.

but it strikes me that peoples idea of FREERIDE is somewhat skewed.

Freeride is and always has been just riding as 90% of the population always has, IMO. They just named it when XC and DH became more distinct, possibly to sell more bikes, but possibly the name came about when people got bored of being pidgeonholed into XC or DH, they just rode what they liked.

atlaz
    Free Member

Next on Jerry Springer – "Suspension!!!!! isn't that mostly for girls?"

jedi

we are all cyclists! when i off road im a mtber thats about as far a pigeon hole as it needs

MrAgreeable

Teleport back in time 5 years, post this thread on Pinkbike instead of here, and you may stir up some of the controversy you crave. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Do people on other cycling websites get so snotty about things like this or is it just on here?

juan
    Free Member

..They're French.

I don't think much more needs to be said.
    True I am sure such as Nicola Vouilloz, Anne Caroline Chausson, Fabien Barel, Cedric Gracias, Sabrina Jonnier and Karim Amour will concur.

There is some cheap flight down to Nice why don't you get your bike and yourself down here to show me how much of a riding god you are.

DWH
    Free Member

Are there any MTB videos?

Coyote
    Free Member

You haven't paid homage at the altar of Elbry? Dude, look him up and prepare to be amazed. If you need a definition of freeride gnarr, look no further than Big E.

greeble
    Free Member

You haven't paid homage at the altar of Elbry? Dude, look him up and prepare to be amazed. If you need a definition of freeride gnarr, look no further than Big E.

for sure i was so hyped and stoked to see this sick rad freeride video by the man himself here
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/103124/

GaryLake
    Free Member

Looks like some of the XC trails we have here in Leigh Woods in Bristol, like the Picnic Bench… only easier.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

As several other's have already stated, it's just marketing bol****s isnt it? I ride mountain bikes, that's 'niche' enough for me. Furthermore, if anyone else even thinks about using the words 'sick' or 'gnarly', I'll be round your house with a set of bombers before you can say 'rad'.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mud Cows and Mud Cows II defined mountainbiking film making.

The riding was dull, the scenery unremarkable, but the singing wounds with blood pumping out of them while a thrash-metal band shouted a song called "The Man Who Drank Too Much" and the bloke caning it into a ford, flying over the front and concussing himself – that was cinema.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

the phrase freeride came from winter sports like skiing and snowboarding and it is all about picking your own lines and messing about on jumps etc so for MTB's it would be things like the mega or redbull rampage and also funparks like they have at GT

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mitch, dude, you should totally chillax. The state of the freeride mind is rad. It's what allows the progression to greater gnarl and sickness which drives our sport forward. 8)

I wouldn't enjoy my riding anywhere near as much if I couldn't imagine myself to be a Freeride God. When I first paused at the top of a descent, turned to my riding companion, made the sign of adjusting my gnarl to the MAX and then set off mincing down the hill a whole new window of riding experience was opened for me.

zangolin
    Free Member

Doesn't matter really – call it whatever you like.
    Wear what you like, ride what you like, put as much body armour on as you like, who gives a f***, as long as your enjoying yourself.

br
    Free Member

Freeride is basically not getting sweaty, but still riding offroad while wearing armour and a full-face.

Chicksands is probably the best place I know for it; 4X, dual, northshore, jumps, packs etc – all on a small hill with decent parking, a Food van and a good atmos.

crazy-legs

😆 @ BigDummy!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

BigDummy – my arse goes five pence fifty pence whenever I get to anything higher than the kerb. I've got a big hit 3 in the garage covered in cobwebs (sadly, I'm not joking), and the one time I used a full face helmet, I thought I was going to drown in my own sweat. I'm just too old for all the radical dude sh**e, and much prefer being out on my Cannondale hardtail, but at the end of the day, it's all about riding isnt it? 😛
    P.S, my bomber hand is getting mighty twitchy!

Yorkshire_Lad
    Free Member

I thought it was all about just getting out and riding your bike. I ride in Hebden Bridge and I would call that freeriding. Were not doing 25 foot steep downs or riding North Shore but then again it's not made for XC riding. What you have to remember is people are suckers for marketing if they see an add saying all mountain/freeride bike they think by buying such a tool they immediately become shredders.

With regard to riding on the Alps I would say a full face lid is a good idea mainly because the descents are so long it just gives you that added bit of insurance oh and there's a lift at the bottom to get you back to the top.

All said and done though the title should be

'Singletrack on rocks'

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘FREERIDE!!!!!!!!! it's mostly bollox, isn't it?’ is closed to new replies.