Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Freehub Oil Alternatives
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

I want to use an oil to lube the pawls in my I9 Hyrda hub to reduce drag as much as possible.

There are some freehub specific oils out there but they are very expensive for a tiny bottle.

Is there anything else I could use that I already have? Shimano brake fluid, fork oil, mucoff wet lube?

dc1988

I’ve used wet lube before and some spare transmission fluid, they both did the job. Engine oil would probably be fine as well as they’re all made to lubricate moving metal parts

nomadrider
    Free Member

A lot of high end road racers will use a lube for their freehub. But it doesn’t last as long as the proper stuff and can reduce the longevity of your bearing. I’m guessing you’re talking about the DuMondtech stuff that i9 recommend? You’re right it is expensive. But it should last quite a while.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Big-Bud
    Free Member

You want some Atf oil that’s automatic transmission fluid.
    It’s head and shoulders the best thing for your freehub .

reeksy

… so guaranteed no dandruff then?

escrs
    Free Member

How about this?

Dumonde Tech Pro X freehub grease

Not too bad at £15, will last you forever, bit like the tub of Sram Butter ive had for 3+ years now and im not even half way through it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just be aware that the high/extreme pressure additives in gearbox/transmission/differential oils attack some metals. It’s not just a case of Wet lube = good, EP-90 = Better.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll try a few things and post results. I am keen on getting rid of as much drag as possible with this Hydra. The amount of freehub drag with the Hyrda is very noticable compared to my free rolling Onyx Vesper. But the Hyrda does make a fun sound 🙂

appltn

Don’t buy the Dumonde tech grease if you like the loud sound. I brought some specifically to quiet down a noisy freehub and it does a good job. I think they also do an oil if you want the noise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.