Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Freedom of Movement – got Brexit done 😉
  • igm

I think we can say with fuel at £2 a litre (what is that in pints?), queues at Dover back to the M25 (we’ll almost), airports cancelling flights left right and centre, and a good old fashioned British rail strike, Boris has delivered brilliantly on his promise to end freedom of movement.

Makes you proud to be British.

andrewh
    Free Member

An odd phrase I k ow ‘but to be fair to Boris….’
    None of these are uniquely British problems.
    The whole of Western Europe is a mess right now, and none of them are blaming Brexit…

onehundredthidiot

Yep now over £9 per imperial gallon. Let’s use that measurement now, it’ll be fab at £10per gallon but garages will need an imperial price board. Will be easier to keep up if we use a chalk board especially for the “no fuel” stage.

devash
    Free Member

I agree with your sentiment OP but the fuel problem isn’t specific to the UK. Here in Spain we’re well over €2 a litre now and there’s no sign of it abating. The airline issues definitely can be traced back to understaffing caused by Brexit-related staffing and recruitment problems though.

Despite Brexit, I’m still proud to be British because let’s face it, a significant majority of the UK electorate DON’T vote for the Tories and the Brexit vote itself was extremely close. It’s only because of our arcane and outdated FPTP electoral system that the rotten blues get anywhere near power at all.

Strikes are ok in my book; the Tories need a bloody nose of Poll Tax riot scale and I think this long hot summer is going to be the time to do it.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

None of these are uniquely British problems

Yes and no. Brexit is certainly responsible for the queues at Dover and has exacerbated the baggage handling issues at airports. More widely, Brexit has resulted in a bunch of thick right wing nut jobs running the UK. In what other world would Rabb, Shapps, Truss and Dorries be anywhere near the front bench of a Government? They can’t run a bath.

mert
    Free Member

Fuel and some of the cost of living increases are European/Global issues.

The sheer magnitude of the issue in the UK is a brexity/gammony/johnson problem.

binners

The sheer magnitude of the issue in the UK is a brexity/gammony/johnson problem.

The whole confrontation with the unions is being deliberately engineered by the government to appeal to their core vote of disgruntled old racists who believe the uppity lower orders should shut up and do as they’re bloody well told

Overall, its starting to have a very 1970’s feel to it… a fuel crisis, strikes, industrial confrontation. They’re apparently bringing back white dog poo next

mert
    Free Member

The irony being that a huge fraction of those disgruntled old racists used to be the uppity lower orders, but are now retired on massive pensions and living in the houses they bought in the 60’s for tuppence ha’penny.

wbo
    Free Member

While fuel and energy prices are a global problem, queues at airports, a lack of labour and an underperforming economy are exaggerated in the UK, and can be at least partially tied back to Brexit, and policy decisions by the party of reputed economic competence.

kimbers

The irony being that a huge fraction of those disgruntled old racists used to be the uppity lower orders, but are now retired on massive pensions and living in the houses they bought in the 60’s for tuppence ha’penny.

You’ve met my parents then…

rone

Shame no party is offering an alternative for you guys.

martinhutch

I was under the impression that inflationary pressures weren’t quite as bad elsewhere, so looked it up (they appear to be similar in most European countries). Turkey appears to be a bit of a basket case though – current inflation rate of 73.5%!

rone

I was under the impression that inflationary pressures weren’t quite as bad elsewhere, so looked it up (they appear to be similar in most European countries). Turkey appears to be a bit of a basket case though – current inflation rate of 73.5%!

Inflation is difficult to compare based on the lagging nature and changing of types of products and metrics.

The Eurozone is definitely having high inflation as they’re subject to supply shocks just like any country.

Brexit hasn’t helped of course. But it isn’t EU inflation good UK bad.

Turkey has had massive inflation problems for years due to various baulked economic circumstances.

dissonance

While fuel and energy prices are a global problem

They are magnified in the UK due to the weak pound. There have been high energy prices in the past which were less noticeable due to the pound being strong against the dollar.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Turkey has had massive inflation problems for years due to various baulked economic circumstances.

Agreed. I remember going there forty years ago and being flabbergasted at how many zeros were on bank notes. Made the Italian lira look positively solid.

igm

I was just pointing out that BoJo has achieved something promised as a Brexit benefit.

Not sure there are any others.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Local GP practice says there is a shortage of nurses as well, so my blood test got cancelled.

dissonance

Not sure there are any others.

What about the high wage society with payrises for all?
    Ah just seen the headlines. As you were.

mert
    Free Member

You’ve met my parents then…

My mums getting closer and closer to actually going to Downing Street to give Boris a piece of her mind (and if she remembers, a swift kick in the bollocks, even if she does end up falling over.)

mrchrispy

I really expecting to see some rioting…we might manage to avoid it this summer but if things carry on as they are going then next summer is going to be carnage.

hatter

They are magnified in the UK due to the weak pound. There have been high energy prices in the past which were less noticeable due to the pound being strong against the dollar.

This, to put some numbers to it:

Oil is currently at $113 a barrel and we’re nearing £2 a litre at the pump.

Back in 2008 oil was at $144 a barrel and prices at the pump then peaked at around £1.20 a litre, which seemed horrendous as the time.

The key difference now is that in 2008 you almost got $2 to £1, now it’s nearer $1.20. A 40% drop in the value of the sterling versus the currency oil is traded in and the fall was almost entirely after the 2016 referendum as the UK economic prospects were downgraded on the international markets due to Brexit.

So, whilst the crisis is indeed global and not of Brexit’s doing, the degree of pain we’re feeling now absolutely is.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Most of the examples above have little if anything to do with Brexit – and a lot of the “proof” of brexit damage is pretty tenuous. That’s not to say there isn’t any – just the data isn’t conclusive.

High Inflation in the UK
    – Is broadly inline with Germany / France when the timing of inflation measures is taken into account
    – Is lower in the UK than some EU countries (serbia, macedonia, Poland @13.9%, Romania @ 14.49%, Czech Republic @ 16% etc etc.)
    – Is largely supply side and driven by war, fuel and supply chain issues – so less to do with Government decisions.
    – The Bank of England sets interest rates independently of the Government so they are accountable for controlling inflation.

Petrol / Diesel / Energy prices
    – Are lower in the UK than some EU countries
    – Comprise significant levels of fuel duty – with at least two of the main political parties having recently voted to remove the freeze on the duty “escalator”
    – reflect the UK’s politicians decidion not to approve any replacement nuclear between 1997 and 2010 as a police decision
    – We burn gas to make electricity and have to import it because we decided to limit domestic production
    – France gets most of its electricity from Nuclear / there’s no supply side pressure on that so minimal price increases

Strikes
    – are taking place across Europe and Asia
    – Baggage handlers are on strike at Brussels Airport, Schipol and Oslo airport this week
    – At Brussels airport all outbound flights yesterday were cancelled due to a strike

Air Travel issues
    – Baggage Handler shortages are said to be (by Michael O’Leary / RyanAir) more a reflection of poor planning/ late recruitment / need for security vetting – so his Airline and other operators haven’t really had any issues whereas Tui, BA and Easyjet have but started much later with their recruitment for 2022 (October for Ryanair, February for the others)
    – Many former staff need to be re-vetted before they can start work
    – A lot of former staff found other work in the economy and don’t want to go back to shift work on low pay
    – The travelling public want cheap flights but that leaves low skilled workers stuck on low pay

The economy is knackered
    – But the UK achieved a record value of export goods to the EU (an all time record) in April – and that’s with the car industry still crippled by the global chip shortage. If that wasn’t the case the value of goods exports would have been 10-20% higher still
    – The UK returned to pre-covid levels of economic activity in November last year – many countries still haven’t – including germany
    – There are record number of people in work

My take on the strikes – it’s those on the lowest pay without good pensions that are most exposed to price inflation. So we need targeted measures / pay rises for those groups. Everyone else – not so much.

At the end of the day the only certain outcome of everyone getting a pay rise at or above inflation is that inflation will be even higher next year – putting the economy at risk of a dramatic recession of the sort that many countries round the world are already dealing with.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Let me fix this for you:

This, to put some numbers to it:

Oil is currently at $113 a barrel and we’re nearing £2 a litre at the pump.

Back in 2008 oil was at $144 a barrel and prices at the pump then peaked at around £1.20 a litre, which seemed horrendous as the time.

The key difference now is that

refinery capacity is now lower and as such basic supply and demand laws mean they can charge what they like. And they are. Add in high energy costs to actually refine the stuff and here we are.

Crude prices are only one part of the equation, it’s lower because of the bottleneck in refining capacity.

dyna-ti

Overall, its starting to have a very 1970’s feel to it… a fuel crisis, strikes, industrial confrontation. They’re apparently bringing back white dog poo.

Next step. WAR !

It will probably be some nonthreatening country who can’t defend themselves.

molgrips
    Free Member

@cheddarchallenged at least someone is around to pick all those cherries… Amongst those questionable stats is this:

– Is lower in the UK than some EU countries (serbia, macedonia, Poland @13.9%, Romania @ 14.49%, Czech Republic @ 16% etc etc.)

Right, those are all much poorer countries than ours. We should be comparing like with like. We’re the highest in the G7.

Most of the rest of your post looks like propaganda to me, since it is at odds with what I’ve been reading.

igm

Can we just stick to the fact that as part of his Brexit promises BoJo said no more freedom of movement.  All the other stuff is just froth.

He’s achieved it and we should congratulate him.

You might even hand deliver him a congratulations card.  If you’re within walking distance of him.  (Check your fridge).

rone

The UK returned to pre-covid levels of economic activity in November last year

Which was pretty dire – almost no growth.

At the end of the day the only certain outcome of everyone getting a pay rise at or above inflation is that inflation will be even higher next year – putting the economy at risk of a dramatic recession of the sort that many countries round the world are already dealing with.

Years of wage suppression on catch-up apparently drives inflation now?

I’m not buying it. It’s been fine for the top-earners for their money to go through the roof. No mention of inflation – in fact Steven Barclay is asking for restrictions to be removed on finance chiefs’ money. **** off.

Part of the puzzle is the effects of Covid simply weren’t done and the government tossed the economy back to the market and said you’re on your own. This part ain’t rocket science. Add in the downward trajectory of neoliberalism and global factors/brexit and we have a new breed of economy.

One which the BoE or the Government doesn’t have the will or political imagination to fix.

kelvin

Agreed.

Is there no problem that “no pay rises for the workers” isn’t painted as the fix? We had this with austerity for years… pay resistant, especially in the public sector, was the answer to the fallout of the credit crunch… now the only way to pay for the totally predicted increased costs of Brexit and continued over reliance on gas and oil is… surprise… more pay restraint, in a time of rising prices… surprise surprise. Ignore the causes of our problems… making the workers poorer is pushed as the solution. It isn’t. It’ll contract the economy still further… and the spiral continues…

Poopscoop

Isn’t UK growth predicted to be second lowest in the G20 now? Only behind Russia.

I can see only one thing the UK is having to cope with that those other countries aren’t and it begins with the letter “B”.

We have self sanctioned basically.

zippykona

We shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to eu countries because we are FREE and able to make our own rules so should be outperforming all of them.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I need someone who can draw cartoons to do this for me.

A pirate boat with Boris and the gang of idiots forcing starving people to walk the plank into shark infested water.
    The people dying in the water are arguing whether they are dying because they are drowning, starving or being eaten by sharks.
    One person say perhaps Boris was responsible for starving them and then forcing them into the water but he is shut up by a chorus of “It is just Boris doing what he does, love him the cheeky chap”

julians
    Free Member

The key difference now is that in 2008 you almost got $2 to £1, now it’s nearer $1.20. A 40% drop in the value of the sterling versus the currency oil is traded in and the fall was almost entirely after the 2016 referendum as the UK economic prospects were downgraded on the international markets due to Brexit

not quite correct…..

Yes in May 2008 you got pretty much $2 to £1.

Yes it is now closer to $1.20 to £1.

But the majority of that devaluation didnt happen after the brexit vote. BY January 2009 ( so just 7 months after $2=£1) the pund was only worth $1.40.

The brexit vote saw the pound trade mainly between $1.20 and $1.40 – so the majority of the devaluation happened due to the financial crisis of 2008-9.

inkster
    Free Member

Let’s e honest, no Brexit then probably no war in Ukraine. It could be argued that the Brexit vote was a boost for the Trump campaign as well.

When Putin sent 3 plane loads of football hooligans to the European championships back in 2016 he knew what he was doing.

When David Cameron set the referendum date for the middle of that competition he demonstrated he didn’t know what he was doing.

DickBarton

I really expecting to see some rioting…

– probably during the colder months and it’ll be spun as people heating themselves up rather than riots against the governments failed attempts to do right for the people.

The lack of staff after Covid hit and people got furloughed and then decided their previous job wasn’t good enough for them (aware many had unsociable hours) so left has created a bit of a perfect storm when we consider Brexit is now in and many of the people who would have been happier to take the jobs have now left the country – the airport issues with lack of staff – one solution was to allow people from other countries in to fill the jobs but the government immediately shot that down saying it could be fixed by people in this country – except there aren’t that many people jumping at the chance of the work (and the amount of time security checks take means it’ll be a fair amount of time before they are actually doing the work).

Plenty not related to Brexit, but with Brexit in place, there is now plenty that isn’t being fixed as easily or as quickly as it could be – rather than opening the doors to let suitable workers do the jobs, Brexit has closed the doors and decided that we should be able to fix this ourselves and then wait to see if anyone comes forward (and they don’t).

So, mention of a weak pound – how does that get changed to be stronger? How long does that take and will that impact anything else – for the good and for the worse?

molgrips
    Free Member

I need someone who can draw cartoons to do this for me.

Plenty of apps that can make little tiktok style shorts to do this. My kids like Gatcha Life.

Dickyboy

You might even hand deliver him a congratulations card. If you’re within walking distance of him.

I’m not far from Chequers but last time I gave them anything* they didn’t seem very pleased about it.

* some I ❤️ EU flags

julians
    Free Member

So, mention of a weak pound – how does that get changed to be stronger? How long does that take and will that impact anything else – for the good and for the worse?

Lots of things influence the strength of the currency, including:-

– pay higher interest rates (bank of england base rate) to make buying the pound more appealing than buying the dollar (or any other currency) – this tends to have an immediate impact on the relative strength of the currency.
    – Increasing economic productivity
    – reduce quantitive easing/get rid of all the free money that was created in the credit crunch/covid etc.

But there are always trade offs, so if the pound gets stronger then anything we import should get cheaper, but anything we export gets more expensive for the people who buy it, so they buy less of it etc etc

dudeofdoom

Here in Spain we’re well over €2 a litre now and there’s no sign of it abating. The airline issues definitely can be traced back to understaffing caused by Brexit-related staffing and recruitment problems though.

Yep but do they have a 20c discount per litre so are attempting to help and they have done stuff with the leccie bills.

dudeofdoom

Oddly was in Neptunes in Benidorm on Friday and did actually wonder about that time you could just do cheffing or bar work just to be in the sun.

Not sure how many hoops you’d have to jump thru now, if it would be viable.

Cougar

Most of the examples above have little if anything to do with Brexit – and a lot of the “proof” of brexit damage is pretty tenuous. That’s not to say there isn’t any – just the data isn’t conclusive.

Anything on your list there that brexit has made better? Because that’s what we were all promised.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.