Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Free Sat Advice please
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Umming and ahhing about getting a HD TV with built in Freesat tuner. I've never had more than the 4 terrestrial channels before so all a bit new to satellite TV. The house has a dish already and there is some sort of co-ax lead in the corner of the lounge that I assume connects to the freesat tuner in the TV. What else do I need?

allthepies
    Free Member

TV + freesat box + digital dish == Freesat.

ton

wot he said

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What's a "digital dish"? I thought a satellite dish was a satellite dish.

richcc
    Free Member

I wouldn't dick about like that. I'd get Humax Foxsat PVR, dual or quad lnb for dish and run some shotgun cable into lounge and obviously add HD telly. Father in law has that set up and it's very good.

Oh and try to get an ethernet cable to back of Humax box for iPlayer and all that on demand stuff.

bighendo
    Free Member

freeview …freesat
    2 different things
    has telly got sky freesat decoder?

richcc
    Free Member

He hasn't bought it yet…

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

a few are coming with freesat built in now, so as long as the dish is digital(chances are it is because analogue hasnt been used for years) and its still pointing in the right place(easy to fix if it isn't with a bit of time, patients, and google) a built in freesat tv should be pretty good, everything all in one box. you could maybe borrow an old sky box off someone to plug in and check the dish is all good before you get it

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ideally I don't want a separate freesat box, so these things seemed like a good ideA

allthepies
    Free Member

If you get freesat build into the TV then it won't have recording/pause/etc capability. I'd get a HD telly + a separate Freesat box with a harddisk in it so you can record stuff while you're out etc etc.

nbt

Another thing to bear in mind, you;ll probalby need TWO leads from dish to box, if it's a recent (Sky+) installation youll be OK but if the dish has been up for years you may need another cable fitting

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can I use a PS3 as a HDD recorder? I want as few boxes as possible, so:

HD TV with built in Freesat
    PS3 for HDD recording and DVD/Blu Ray plaback, internet, iPlayer etc (and of course my old PS2 games!)

The PS3 seems like a really good "one box solution" but I would like to have something like Sky Plus without paying any subscription

allthepies
    Free Member

>but I would like to have something like Sky Plus without paying any subscription

You need a standalone Freesat PVR box then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Free Sat Advice please’ is closed to new replies.