Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Free online data input? Google Form?
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

I’ve been tasked with replacing the current system of regional offices filling in spreadsheets then sending them in for me to then transfer to another spreadsheet.

Is there a free online way that they can input data and it populates a spreadsheet my end showing totals etc?

So far it looks like Google Forms might fit the bill. Any other formats out there?

Thanks

matt_outandabout

You could do a simple one on Google sheets, if you trust the users not to delete or muck up…

If not, use Forms and it automatically spits into a Sheet on request.

I use Fusion for more complex work too – such as merging Sheets and displaying information on Maps.

poly
    Free Member

It all depends on the type of data, the number of users, if your organisation already uses Google (or will you have people logging in with personal Gmail accounts), your organisation’s view of cloud based solution, if the s/sheets are used elsewhere, where the data comes from that goes on the s/sheet, how you will track missing data, are all the incoming sheets in the same layout, how you need to format the data to report it (and what they do with it).

There are many solutions from some simple macros to bespoke tools and Google forms is somewhere in the middle. In my view that probably makes it a poor choice – the hard part in these things is not picking or configuring the tool it is managing the change, and the people and behaviours that it takes to make it work.

tinribz
    Free Member

Why would you want to populate a spreadsheet? If you are going to automate online do it end to end.

For an online form you want to build something in php? With a mySQL database backend?

If it’s over a network build a c# app. If you’re not sure, are really the right person to be asking?

matt_outandabout

😆

soma_rich
    Free Member

For an online form you want to build something in php? With a mySQL database backend?

If it’s over a network build a c# app. If you’re not sure, are really the right person to be asking?

Idiot.

Sounds like a Google form may just suit you perfectly.

geoffj

Sounds like a Google form may just suit you perfectly.

+1

matt_outandabout

Another thought. Can you copy and paste the incoming spreadsheets onto individual named Tabs in excel.

As long as the form data is set up to always copy to the same cell on a named tab, you could then have another tab that summarises the incoming information.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all. Looks like Google it is. 8)

leffeboy

If you use office365 at work you can also do a google forms like thing with that

geoffj

Just be aware of any DPA issues if you are recording personal details using the google form,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Free online data input? Google Form?’ is closed to new replies.