Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Free offline maps for iOS?
  • krixmeister

I recognize this question has been asked before – I’ve probably even asked it!

Using a variety of apps – Gaia, MTB project, etc – but looking for one that gives me offline topo maps (OSM or whatever source is OK), on iOS, and free. For UK usage mostly, although US and European maps a bonus.

If not free, then a one-off payment instead of subscription.

Does any such beast exist anymore? I used to use one of the earlier versions of the official OS maps app (I even bought all of Northern Scotland as a one-off purchase) but it seems to have been discontinued.

phil5556

ViewRanger.

I pay for OS proper maps but I think without any kind of subscription you can download the free ones.

CraigW
    Free Member

Maps.me. Free, lets you download maps for whole countries etc.

benp1

Maps.me is pretty good

P20

Timely thread, we’re in the states now.

Maps.me downloaded, will give it a go thanks.

zilog6128

Viewranger works for me (use it with OpenCycleMap)

lardman
    Free Member

I use viewranger too. Free offline maps are ok quality, but I pay to download specific OS maps for routes I’m gonna be navigating on.

Pay per tile, or by a region.

Poopscoop

Yeah, paid or free, Viewranger is bloody incredible.

oldnpastit

Viewranger. I paid £20 for a zillion squares about a decade ago, and then another £20 for some more squares more recently.

Just a few weeks ago I was on an overgrown brambled-up depression on the ground that was labelled as a “footpath”. I just downloaded the 1:25k map for the area.

My wife was still annoyed with me for being an hour late, but at least I didn’t have to turn around and cycle along the road.

tomd
    Free Member

Viewranger is good. I bought the whole UK OS 6 years ago on an offer and I’m still using those maps. Every time I get a new phone I can just download as long as I’m not currently using the license on more than 5 devices.

It’s been awesome for finding walking / riding options when I’ve been in unlikely parts of the country.

The app is reliable, route planning is good, downloading routes is easy. It just works. You can also use free maps and get free or paid maps for all over the world.

slowoldman

I have UK Map. Not a route planner but it has different mapping levels as you zoom in, shows location, OS grid ref and height – and is free.

lardman
    Free Member

I route plan on ‘bikehike’ Website, then just put the GPX file into Dropbox where viewranger harvests it from. Works a treat.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

OSMAND is pretty good – you get 5 or7 maps free. One map is pretty big though. England is one, I think. Does turn by turn navigation. It’s so cheap , after I’d used it for a couple of years I binged them the 5 quid or whatever it is.

Brainflex

Isn’t OSMAND Open Source Map ANDroid? Or do they do a iOS version now?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t have an IOS device to test it but they claim to have a version ported to apple in the app store. No idea how it compares to the origin

cakeandcheese

I’ve been using MapOut. £5 up front. Very good user interface, easy to operate when out and about and the maps are excellent. Seems worldwide as far as I’m aware.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ve gone off Maps.me, it’s all got very commercial, and they only offer one map style that doesn’t really suit my usage.

View ranger looks good, but is now subscription only. Even to download any appreciable size free maps, you have to be signed up.

MapOut looks like my next trial. Anyone else use it? For a one of £5, looks like its the business.

kelvin

Does Mapout feature RoW?

krixmeister

Thanks for all the tips! Playing with View Ranger now. Per above – very good, but “free” maps require a subscription upgrade to use. I went ahead and bought north of Scotland maps for under ten quid for testing.

OSMAnd seems available on iOs – https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257 – haven’t downloaded it yet. Also seems to be behind the Android version feature-wiser at least a little bit (https://osmand.net/blog/osmand-ios-2-9-released)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Free offline maps for iOS?’ is closed to new replies.