Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Free chainstay protectors.
  • oldfart

Seem as rare as rocking horse poo now.My 3 year old MBUK/Race Face one is looking distinctly worse for wear.Any freebies anywhere?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what size do you need?

oldfart

Size? just standard to fit an 18 inch hardtail?could just wrap an old innertube round but that looks tackier than what i’ve got on there now.

iPed
    Free Member

Dead inner tube and zip ties?

IHN

Innertube and no zip ties if you’re clever like me 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i have a swingarm protector going begging but no use to you

rs
    Free Member

Done neatly, the old inner tube looks better i think.

oldfart

thanks for the offer Ralph.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

stick on fluffy velcro works well for me.

dr_adams
    Free Member

how you do the old inner tube without ties? blu tack?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

rubber solution glue?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Old tyre cut down and zip tied on looks pretty good, IMO. Especially if it’s some properly cool old school retrorubber!

IHN

how you do the old inner tube without ties?

Wrapped around the chainstay like the grip on a tennis racket (or, indeed bar tape). If you keep it pretty stretched as you do it you can get it grip itself at one end, by overlapping each turn you can get double or triple thickness and then finish it off with black insulation tape. Looks really neat, I can probably sort pics if you want.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got some dark side bar tape going onto my trance once I’ve finished the bars. Should sort it out.

Coyote
    Free Member

Bit like what IHN does.

Cut an inner tube in half length ways and then cut off a metre length. Wrap it really tightly round the chainstay and then secure with either a zip tie or tape. If you get it right it looks a damn site better then neoprene and it’s the next best thing to free!

IHN

Won’t bar tape get ripped to shreds?

dr_adams
    Free Member

Just outta interest would this still work if you had cable routing that went under rear chainstay? typical rockhopper…. 🙁

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Always use the innertube. Done properly it looks better than an ill fitting protector:

stratobiker
    Free Member

Not totally free as you have to cut up an old tyre, but………It’s been on there for about 5 years! Works fine.

SB

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Free chainstay protectors.’ is closed to new replies.