Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Fred Whitton – are you in?
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

no email and no letter for me

jwt
    Free Member

Letter has arrived…………

brakes
    Free Member

Mine too.
    Wahoo!
    It’s on.

brakes
    Free Member

how is training going?
    I joined a road club and have been going out with them a couple of times a week. I even got a new bike!
    been trying to get some hill reps in too but not enough I don’t think.
    I plan on getting one ride in close to 100 miles before now and then – only a month to go!
    any ideas what the weather will be like?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Don’t think you should be doing hill reps, just go out and get used to riding for 6/7/8 hours in the hills instead of practising sprinting up them.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t have slots of 6-8 hours to go riding…
    I’m not doing hill intervals, just repetitions: up hill > down hill > up hill > down hill, etc.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m not doing hill intervals, just repetitions: up hill > down hill > up hill > down hill, etc.

Sounds a good idea, no easy way of getting used to the amount of climbing involved if you don’t live somewhere as hilly.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye fair enough, 8 hours of riding is a lot to fit in a schedule so you’re doing right trying to fit as much climbing as you can in.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

For me the trainings going really well, averaging 200miles a week for the past 2 months. All different sorts of rides, hill intervals, 2hr balls out rides in the Trough of Bowland during the week then at weekends a long mtb ride or a 100mile + road ride. Managed to get up to the lakes for a recce of the route last Sunday and my nephew and I basically did the Fred minus Kirkstone pass. Wasn’t to bad tbh although we had a tailwind over Hardknott and Wrynose which no doubt helped us. Really looking forward to it now 😀

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Last year I went in a bit ignorant to what to expect although got round and up every single hill (with the help of a mountain bike cassette). This year I know what to expect!…and am still not disciplined enough to train. I do plan on a couple of big rides over the next weekend or two though, should really.

convert

I’d be doing some of your hill climbing in preparation with a limited gear range – on the Fred you will run out of comfortable gears so I think it’s important to practise riding at a lower cadence with more torque for a protracted period of time to get used to the feeling.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get 25km commute in, but its a bit of a hassle as I need the car during the day at work (so end up having to leave it at work overnight which always makes me a bit nervous).

Done a couple of 100k rides and one was N Yorks Moors including Carlton Bank- how does that compare to the Lakeland passes?

I’m starting to get the fear- the guy I’m (supposed to be) riding it with has done twice the mileage, I’ve done and already ridden all the passes this year 🙁

And the minidoubleus have given me their viral lurgy.

nedrapier

I’m not doing it, but I have got some long rides coming up. This thread has got me looking at extending the commute, something I’ve been meaning to do for ages, but put off because I didn’t like the options I’d thought of.

I’ve just found a relatively pleasant, hilly loop to tack on the beginning and end. 6 miles in and the same back just became 10.5 in and 10.5 (or 13.3) back. The decision point for doing the loop is a little way from my house, so it’s going to be easier than riding past the door and carrying on.

Cheers all, good luck with the training and “enjoy” the Whitton! 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton – are you in?’ is closed to new replies.