Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Freak injury – ouch
  • dannybgoode

So, out today plodding up hill, back wheel spins and loses traction. Somehow I flip myself off the bike and land with the end of the handlebars plumb in my sternum – ****ing hurts!

Feel a right plum as well as can’t even say I was motoring downhill with a fox leaping out on me etc!..

Cheers

Danny B

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I love the ones where you do something dumb and then get up, hope no one saw and pedal away feeling sheepish. Always funny after. Hope you are not too damaged.

chipps

I concussed myself on a road climb once. Granny ring climb and I locked handlebars with the rider next to me. Stopped, but due to the steep slope, the ground was further away than normal, so I flipped off the back of the bike, nutting a stone wall… Get well soon

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Getting my bike from our underground garage at work in a hurry one day, chucked my leg over clipped in a stood up on the pedal to make a swift exit …

Unfortunately my chain was at the end of its life and prone to jumping -it jumped off and I did a spectacular landing on the garage floor.

It hurt but I couldnt help but laugh, and was tempted to ask for the security video as im sure it looked ridiculous

JohnnyPanic

Danny, a mate of mine did something very similar a few years ago and ended up with a dinner plate sized bruise, bright yellow in the middle, vivid purple on the outside. Good luck & hope you’re OK.

jambon
    Free Member

Slow up-hill accidents can be bad when falling backwards as the ground is so much lower downhill. Cracked my collar bone a few years back losing concentration at ½ mph a few years back…

dannybgoode

I think I’m on for a right bruise – will post pic if looks suitably vicious! @JP – sounds very much like an oversized squash ball bruise (anyone unlucky enough to ever have been hit by a well struck squah ball will know exactly what we’re on about!).

Cheers

Danny B

crikey
    Free Member

I almost got frostbite on the end of my willy when I had to jump out of the bathroom window, on to the extension roof when her mum and dad came home early from the bingo.

nbt

That’s how derek starship introduced himself to the forum – landed on the end of his handlebars with no bar end cap, massive haematoma

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had a proper freak accident skiing last year. I fell over at very low speed on a flat piece of the hill, managed to break my leg and it has pretty much ruined the past year of my life. The whole thing should never have happened but hey ho.

ndthornton
    Free Member

This was a beauty last month…..
    Just nailed a fast techy descent – feeling quite chuffed with myself I couldn’t be bothered putting the seat back up for the 1/2 mile ride through town back to the car. powering out of the saddle through the busy town center my baggy shorts somehow get cought on my handlebar. downward peddle stroke catapults me over the bars in front of lots of concerned Saturday shoppers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A couple of years back I had an over-the-bars whilst slowly cranking up a hill at walking pace. I hit a tree stump hidden in grass and landed on my shoulder. The loud “bang!” was enough to convince me that something wasn’t right…I wound up with a Type 3 A/C joint separation as all of my ligaments ruptured.

I had an operation last year to sort it, so I now have a piece of nylon and a Ti screw holding my right arm in place.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Showing off to my girlfriend at the time, she was waiting by the back gate as I unloaded bike and kit from the back of the van, balanced kit on handlebars and rode the bike from the van through the gate to the shed I stored it in( a distance of about 30 feet), bunnyhopped through the gate around a tight corner and over a kerb when the front wheel washed out on the wet kerb and I crashed sideways thorugh dads greenhouse! 😳

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Slow up-hill accidents can be bad when falling backwards as the ground is so much lower downhill.

Welcome to my world in NORMAL crashes

Signed, 6’7″ ormondroyd 🙂

mintimperial

My first proper bike accident was a right numpty crash. I was riding along a wiggly traffic-calmed road on our estate, looked down to check out my ace new gears (all ten of ’em) and my front wheel rode up a banked kerb thing. Knocked off balance, I got off on my head and ended up in hospital with concussion.

I remember riding back to the house feeling sick, everything was blue and red, very weird.

JohnnyPanic

When I was about 12 me and a mate were throwing grass sods from our bikes at a gang of the local lasses (thinking somehow that that would impress them). Except I managed to ride into the local lamppost instead. When I woke up I was being carried back up the road to my house by one of their dads…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Did the same as OP a few years back on Garburn Pass, mates thought I was having a heart attack – the kentmere side downhill with cracked ribs = bad

atlaz
    Free Member

Watched a mate of mine try to kick some mud out of his front wheel once. The inevitable happened. Foot in spokes, whipped around to the fork, over the bars, broken toe, scuffed face, hands and elbows.

dannybgoode

I’ll add another. A few years back, the club annual charity ride (to chuffing Rhyl and back from Sheffield!) and managed for the first time to cycle the whole thing (was as unfit then as I am now).

Coming back in to Sheffield through Malin Bridge a couple of miles from home feeling jubilant, elated, smug etc and just touched a metal plate on the tram tracks.

Round she goes and a heavy landing on my hip meant a call to Mrs Danny to come and fetch me so I can’t really say a rode the whole thing :(.

Cheers

Danny B

ska-49
    Free Member

Failed to unclip on my road bike at the lights. Tiped over onto my side- hands still on bars and clipped in. Did this infront of a very busy street. I had a massive crowed come and help me. Bleading knee and elbow plus massive bruise. Full clad in a condom suit as well. By the time I got up the light turned red AGAIN so I had to stand at the lights for another couple minutes before I could make my escape 😳

Still not sure why it happend? Maybe I was just tiered.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Rode with cleats in last years London to Brighton Off Road, stopped at a very busy rest point, and failed (despite trying) to unclip, keeling over onto my side while still on the bike. Sheepishly got straight up and rode of, didn’t stop for that rest.

dashed
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member
    powering out of the saddle through the busy town center my baggy shorts somehow get cought on my handlebar. downward peddle stroke catapults me over the bars in front of lots of concerned Saturday shoppers.

Been there – just had a cracking run through the downhill at Hamsterley, pedalling along the flat fire road to the uplift – shorts caught top of forks, yarking front wheel to side and I slammed really hard – grazed and bruised every boney bit up the right side of my body – ankle,knee, hip, elbow, shoulder! Glad I had a full face on as head hit with a good thump!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Freak injury – ouch’ is closed to new replies.