Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fraudulent eBay buyer?
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Bought a frame a while ago and then decided i wasn’t going to use it so put it on eBay.
    Buyer comes back saying they’ve tried three pressfit BB’s and all result in tight bearings. The original bearings were tight but I assumed they were worn out and seized. After offering a partial discount so they could get the BB fixed, they said they had tried that but it wasn’t repairable. Concluding the frame was probably damaged I agreed to refund. It was going cost me a further £15 so I said they could keep the frame.
    They said they’d hang it on the wall.

Three months later they have the frame back on eBay, copied the description from me with no indication of any fault. Looking at their very clear photos it’s obvious they haven’t had any work done on the frame.

I can only conclude they lied previous to get a free frame. That’s fraud isn’t it?
    The eBay return is closed so I’m guessing my only option is to contact the police. TBH I’d written the money off but I’m annoyed at being conned when I did everything to try and help a disappointed buyer.

Thoughts appreciated

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get a mate to buy it back & repeat what he did?

tomhoward

He didn’t lie to get you to let him keep the frame, you just didn’t want it back, that’s on you. It’s his to do what he wants with.

Not saying he isn’t a chancer, but you had a chance to get it back, and were too nice in the beginning, IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kerley
    Free Member

Not sure fraudulent is the right word. Buyer was clearly a bit of a chancer and you played into their hands. You should have paid the £15 and got the frame back which you could then have inspected and if turns out you sold a frame that was no good maybe learn from that and check what you are selling is useable/works in future.

Daffy

Speak to ebay and explain what’s happening. They’ll likely take down the listing.

finbar
    Free Member

Get a mate to buy it back & repeat what he did?

Definitely liking this suggestion, at the worst he’ll end up spunking out extra postage costs – or (lower risk) get a succession of mates to keep buying it and not paying. Petty revenge.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Speak to ebay and explain what’s happening. They’ll likely take down the listing.

Nope, they won’t care.

Someone from STW once found my bike for sale on eBay and contacted me thinking it had been stolen. It hadn’t, they’d just taken my photos from flickr (of a fairly unique bike).

eBay wouldn’t get involved and the seller just denied it, presumably someone somewhere got scammed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Petty revenge.

You rang?

andrewh
    Free Member

Not sure fraudulent is the right word.

He’s either lied about the bb to the OP and it’s fine really, or he’s misrepresented it in his own his ebay listing and it is genuinely ****ed

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I think I will do some voodoo and put it down to experience

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.