Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Frankie Boyle on hunger strike…
  • Kryton57

http://news.sky.com/story/1118170/frankie-boyle-on-hunger-strike-for-prisoner

Not much of an influence is it? Let him out or a comedian who basis his act on foul mouthed ranting pops his clogs. Note he even jokes about the situation.

Has Boyle got a book / new show / tour coming soon by any chance?

Kryton57

Ooops – mods please move to Chat…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Let him out or a comedian who basis his act on foul mouthed ranting pops his clogs.

Did you read your own link

Comedian Frankie Boyle has started a week-long hunger strike to show his support for the last British detainee at Guantanamo Bay

That is the opening line

Note he even jokes about the situation.

Yes a situation so bad even Frankie wont make a poor taste joke…..must be serious

Sui
    Free Member

Another fruitloop sticking up for something he has no knowledge on. Let the twit keel over.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Let the twit keel over.

Classy.

Kryton57

Junkyard – lazarus

Yes a situation so bad even Frankie wont make a poor taste joke…..must be serious

You don’t think ” Its the Pizza shop thats really suffering” in poor taste?

Bez

I don’t claim to be a great expert on it either, but just *how* much knowledge do you need to have about someone being detained for 11 years without trial in a detention centre with practices that are borderline torture before you, in your role as Someone On The Internet, green-light a protest without wishing death onto the protester?

Just curious, like. I find it a little odd that making a protest offends you more than a decade of detaining someone without trial.

But I’m sure you know lots about it and are therefore right.

Sui
    Free Member

Why should a response to this be classy? The bloke is doing something that will have no effect whatsoever and is media whoring for his own good. I have little to no time for the ignorance that some seem to have when it comes to cases like this. It always boils down to the same question… what the he’ll were you doing there? Afghan has been a no go area for well over a decade, coincidence is seldom believed…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

is media whoring for his own good

Nobody should ever do anything. Especially if he or she is famous because it’d just be media whoring. Yeah!

what the he’ll were you doing there

Some of them weren’t doing anything in particular except just being there – that’s why they were released without charge.

Kryton57

The bloke is doing something that will have no effect whatsoever and is media whoring for his own good.

This. Other than that I’m not interested in the politocs. Mr Boyle is hardly known as a human right campaigner is he now?

However, should he prove to do some good / have genuine motivation, I apologise in advance.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

I could get my self in trouble on this thread so i’m not going to do any more than make the following comment. To make fun of disabled people is not funny, he is not funny. In fact hes a total ****.

br
    Free Member

Afghan has been a no go area for well over a decade, coincidence is seldom believed…

True, and they should never have re-opened the Birmingham Six case – I’m mean a load of Irish on a late train; they should’ve known better…

The Americans have no/little evidence over and above – they were there.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

The Americans have no/little evidence over and above – they were there.

resists, so logs of and goes out for walk.

Sui
    Free Member

Yes of course, just there, then surely they have more reasons to keep him going by that statement…

When was the last time Afghan was on your must have holiday destination, with the exception of the Northern mountains mountains and maybe the lakes around kajake the place is an utter sh!thole.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Send Frankie Boyle over there and let him perform for the “detainees” I’m sure they would confess to anything after having their human rights violated in such appalling fashion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You don’t think ” Its the Pizza shop thats really suffering” in poor taste?

What Boyle cannot make jokes about his own hunger stirke …never had you down as a hand wringer

what the he’ll were you doing there?

Apparently nothing

The Bush administration acknowledged later that it had no evidence against Aamer, and he was cleared for release in 2007. The Obama administration cleared him for release in 2009

Bez

I thought the story was that he was an aid worker. They tend to go to troubled areas. You seem to be thinking of holidaymakers. I’m not sure anyone in Guantanamo was hauled out of Magaluf, were they?

Sui
    Free Member

Magaluf, deserved to be.!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Hunger strike you say? Hopefully he will be succesful, fingers crossed.

Sui
    Free Member

If he was an aid worker, then he will of been registered so no problem. However (and I feel an odd sense of dejavu), if evidence supports that he was there legit, and has been cleared then fine, I apologise. Frankie Boyle however is still a c o ck.

My points about other detainees unless otherwise proven stand.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sui – Member

The bloke is doing something that will have no effect whatsoever ……

It’s made the news and has provided publicity, you’re claim of “no effect” is false.

Sui – Member

I have little to no time for the ignorance that some seem to have when it comes to cases like this.

You have displayed some startling ignorance.

Bez

Sui, you seem to be hoisting yourself by your own “sticking up for something he has no knowledge on” petard.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think we should all care greatly about Frankie Boyle’s health and welfare during this period – it might just confuse him.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m really looking forward to the punch line.

Sui
    Free Member

I see the irony I really do.. I shall in future check facts before I tirade into subjects like this. Boyle is still a tw at though..

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we should all care greatly about Frankie Boyle’s health and welfare during this period – it might just confuse him.

Daily mail to send a fruit basket [ see what i did] there ] 😉

jamj1974

Sui, I surely hope you have never broken/will break the law because your own argument would suggest that if you were believed guilty the judiciary could dispense with due process…

Maybe you want to think things through again?

Sui
    Free Member

Jam I do agree, but then I’ll always stand by my point that not all situations can, or even should follow a typical due process, if it did the world would already be a very different place. Exceptions are needed, the problem with these detentions is that a number of them have been done on prevention measures as opposed to reactionary. I may be overly biased due to my own experiences, as are a large number of others.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sui – Member

Exceptions are needed

It has been established for almost 800 years that there can never be exceptions :

No Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseized of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the land.[/b]

It would appear that people in the middle ages were more enlighten than you.

Sui
    Free Member

Ernie, not everything written millennia ago is fit for purpose.

Bez

not all situations can, or even should follow a typical due process. Exceptions are needed, the problem with these detentions is that a number of them have been done on prevention measures as opposed to reactionary[/i]“

This seems odd logic, in that the but that bothers you is the bit I think is arguably justifiable.

To me, there is a tenable argument for detention without normal process as a preventative measure, if there is – for example – a certain degree of confidence that to do so would prevent the loss of many lives. In other words, if you see a 9/11 coming and can’t get warrants and you need to detain first and produce evidence later then many people would say fine. But to go for more than a decade with no justification? That seems, unlike preventative detention, unjustifiable to me.

Sui
    Free Member

So would you be happy allowing those who were detained under preventative measures to be allowed to carry out an act at a later date, all because the law states that you cannot be held indefinitely for planning? I’m sure all those who have lost friends and relatives would not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, not everything written millennia ago is fit for purpose.

Apart from a few very dodgy and unpleasant people, most people believe that habeas corpus is still very ‘fit for purpose’.

enfht
    Free Member

It’s ironic that a scum bag like Boyle supports the remaining scum locked up in Guantanamo, and it’s ironic that Ernie spouts on about human rights when he idolizes an undemocratic marxist who chose to murder his political opponents.

acehtn
    Free Member

?

Media whore.

A week without food ! go a month without food before i consider to take you serious.
    I was ill a few months back, did about a week without food before i could eat again.
    Perhaps he is doing an extreme diet book ? i only lost about 2 kg.

And he’s the chap that likes cracking hurtfull jokes about others on twitter.
    Won’t miss him IF he pegs it after a week of extreme dieting, which i doubt he will as a week without food (will he even stick to it)is not serious…….now back in the 70’s/80’s the H-block hunger strikes where they smeared poo over every square inch of the cells, that’s a serious hunger strike….. or follow through for several weeks until he pegs it….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And it’s ironic that enfht is too thick to realise that David Cameron supports “the remaining scum locked up in Guantanamo” being released.

Guantanamo inmate Shaker Aamer discussed by Cameron

The case of the last UK resident held in Guantanamo Bay has been raised by Prime Minister David Cameron in talks with US President Barack Obama.

But perhaps you think that David Cameron is just Marxist scum, eh enfht ? 🙂

Bez

So would you be happy allowing those who were detained under preventative measures to be allowed to carry out an act at a later date, all because the law states that you cannot be held indefinitely for planning?[/i]“

Well, there will always be false positives and/or false negatives. And equally, intelligence information is often highly sensitive and I wouldn’t argue for all information to be in the public domain immediately. But if people were detained because of a degree of confidence then it should follow that either sufficiently compelling evidence ought to be discoverable, or it should be accepted that maybe the confidence was misplaced.

How many innocent lives equate to the retention of civil liberties, or how much curtailment of liberty is worth zero deaths? It’s an unanswerable question at the core of any “free” society.

If a terrorist attack occurs, who do you blame most within your own culture? The agencies who didn’t detain them preventatively, or the governments who pissed other countries and cultures off?

IanMunro
    Free Member

So would you be happy allowing those who were detained under preventative measures to be allowed to carry out an act at a later date, all because the law states that you cannot be held indefinitely for planning? I’m sure all those who have lost friends and relatives would not.

No I wouldn’t be happy.
    Nor would I be happy with someone being locked up who hadn’t actually done anything.

Life’s complicated.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

If Frankie Boy has got any balls he’d see this through to the end. Not just one week. Jog on Frankie.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So would you be happy allowing those who were detained under preventative measures to be allowed to carry out an act at a later date, all because the law states that you cannot be held indefinitely for planning?

The law does not state this you can be done for planning …it would still require evidence to be presented.
    I think we all realise there are bad people planning things and we may not have enough to charge and we need to do something.
    The solution may be complex but it should not include no trial and whisked off to a foreign land.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Frankie Boyle on hunger strike…’ is closed to new replies.