Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Frames similar in price and performance to the Anthem X?
  • ChrisL

Giant UK have confirmed that the 2011 Anthem X frameset isn’t available in XL. They’ve said that the 2012 one will be and I should contact them again in September to find out when it’ll be available and how much it’ll cost.

What other 100mm travel XC full sus frames (that are available in XL) are out there in the Anthem X’s price range (the Anthem X frame costs £1190)? Many other manufacturers’ only XC full sus frames are hassively expensive carbon things so I can’t think of many cheaper ones. The Santa Cruz Superlight is the only one that comes to mind. I know that CRC and Merlin have some cheap Turner Fluxes but none in XL.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering the same. The Superlight is £899, which is considerably cheaper than any competitor I can think of.

ChrisL

It’s another £120 or so to get an RP23 shock on the Superlight, which eats up some of the difference between the prices of it and the Anthem X.

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Are you sure you require a XL?

ChrisL

I’ve got an Anthem in L and it’s a touch on the small side (plus I’d like the extra bit of travel that an Anthem X provides). My other bikes are XLs too.

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Try contacting a quality giant dealer, and ask them to ring and see if the after sales have some. Giant aftersales stock comes from Holland and hold many more options.What about getting a bike if any left and just strip what you dont need. Remember they are tapered front end for 2011.

rickon
    Free Member

Superlight would probabaly be an XXL then – as they’re very small.

Xc race bikes in 100/120mm format i’d consider would be:

-Spark
    -Top Fuel
    -Merida Ninety-Eight
    -Rocky Mountain Element RSL (Matt Page’s favoured bike for endurance I believe)

There isn’t much out there in the XC race mould that really matches the Anthem, Spark and Top Fuel TBH.

And then, they’re not frame only options, although I believe the Merida and RSL are.

ChrisL

rickon – Member

-Spark
    -Top Fuel
    -Merida Ninety-Eight
    -Rocky Mountain Element RSL (Matt Page’s favoured bike for endurance I believe)

Most of those frames are super-expensive carbon things, the nice thing about the Aluminium Anthem X is that it’s relatively affordable.

If you want a built-up Anthem X that has an RP2 shock or better you’re paying a lot more than you are for a frame and I don’t really want the hassle of trying to sell a bunch of bits I don’t need. I reckon the hassle of finding a reducer lower race for a frame’s head tube will be less. 🙂

Giant UK phrased their reply to imply that there aren’t any XLs left so I’m not sure whether that means any worldwide or not. If I think of an appropriately friendly Giant dealer I may ask them about the aftersales angle.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s another £120 or so to get an RP23 shock on the Superlight, which eats up some of the difference between the prices of it and the Anthem X.

It’s still an appreciable saving though. Anyway the reviews I’ve read suggest that you don’t need it.

(I’ve got a standard Float R on my Trance, and I’ve never felt the need to upgrade to a platform shock.)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Just bought a superlight after testing it against an Anthem.
    My take: Anthem is better for out and out racing, Superlight is a bit more fun

The superlight definately needs the RP23 upgrade. Also, if you have a friendly shop you will be able to get a discount. I was offered a very good deal on the anthem x but went for the supa as I preferred the ride.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member
    ChrisL

That’s a decent price for a carbon frame (and a spare fork), Paul, but unless Commencal’s frame sizing is very odd, I doubt that a medium will fit me. 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

ah… didn’t look at sizes….sorry 😳

rickon
    Free Member

Commencal sizing is odd indeed. Very small. 😯

Jehosophat
    Free Member

How much is a Blur XC frame? I had an original Heckler (basically a superlight with thicker tubing), then a Superlight, then a Blur Classic. I like the Superlight (I still have it) but the Blur suspension is much, much better – I thought only mag testers would notice the advantages in less climbing kickback, less hopping under braking, etc but they are very clear. I think Blur XC is 105mm travel so in the right zone. I’d recommend a Superlight – but a Blur is even better.

Also, Canyon do a 100mm version of the Nerve frame that has reviewed so well in 140 and 120mm form.

ChrisL

Only the carbon Blur XC is produced these days and it costs £2499. 😯 I’ll have a look into the Canyon offering, though.

rickon
    Free Member

Scott Spark Carbon frameset in XL, fully carbon 110mm rear, 100 or 120mm fork:

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/scott-spark-rc–frameset-2009/9316

£1299… Bargain at half price.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2008 XL Scott Spark 10 full carbon frame you can have. Nude shock is good and complete with bar control thing.

Currently got an xtr chainset and bb fitted as I don’t have the tool to remove it yet.

Let me know if you’re interested. My email address is in my profile

si-wilson
    Free Member

Large Chumba VF2? quite big for a large

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_vf2/

ChrisL

The large Chumba’s only got a 24″ top tube, which is fairly short (if it’s a horizontal measurement). Plus the XCL is more the sort of travel I’m after.

The Spark… Hmm. Can the RC’s seat mast be cut down and a normal seatpost used? I’m not a riding god and I like to drop my saddle occasionally. And as I haven’t test ridden a Spark I suspect my decision-making process would be so glacial that it’d be unfair on you, Clobber. 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Take your time… the xtr crank removal tool doesn’t arrive with me until the 11th July !!!! (Pesky Winstanleys…)

Unless of course you’d want the cranks as well… ;o)

Spark is the fastest bike I’ve ever ridden, I’m only getting rid as my 29er gets more use and I have pressure from she who must be obeyed…

si-wilson
    Free Member

The large Chumba’s only got a 24″ top tube, which is fairly short (if it’s a horizontal measurement). Plus the XCL is more the sort of travel I’m after.

No worries, though the XCL and VF2 have the same amount of travel.

rickon
    Free Member

Hiya Chris,

What’s the bike going to be used for?

cheers

Ricks

Northwind

Dear ChrisL,

You do not need more bikes

Yours sincerely,

Your underused common sense

Northwind

<double post>

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I recently bought an anthem x frameset directly from china via eBay, I specifically wanted a 2010 as I didn’t want a taper headtube or pressfit b/b and giant sold out mid year in uk. The eBay seller had stock and shipped in 7 days for less than £600. There were no import charges and it was fully boxed with pump and headset just as uk stock. Might be worth a thought?

ChrisL

Northwind – Member

Dear ChrisL,

You do not need more bikes

Yours sincerely,

Your underused common sense

Dear Pot,

Have you looked at yourself in the mirror recently?

Yours sincerely,

Kettle 😉

I do not need any mountain bikes but they sure are fun. Besides, this wouldn’t be N+1, it’d be N+1-1.

rickon – Member

What’s the bike going to be used for?

XC riding and the occasional race-like event. Nothing too extreme as I do have a longer travel bike.

I had noticed the Anthem X frames on eBay but I was rather nervous about paying so much for something on eBay being sold by someone halfway across the world.

I’d mistakenly assumed that the XCL was a shorter travel frame than the VF2, oops.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Frames similar in price and performance to the Anthem X?’ is closed to new replies.