Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • frame repair & respray
  • Dickyboy

Anyone know where I can get a bottle cage insert replaced & cheap respray done? Pref near to High Wycombe/Oxford/West London/Reading/Newbury area. Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no such thing as cheep unfortunately 🙁

I’m doing a DIY job at the moment and its costing a fortune in stuff!

£6 nitromors
    £7 x 3 for hammerite rust treatemnt, primer and topcoat
    £2 white spirit
    £4 brush
    £5 gloves
    £3 glass paper
    + lots of effort

Next time its off to argos!

Dickyboy

I think I’ve found a srayer on a local ind estate, but I need to get the bottle cage insert replaced first – any ideas anyone?

XC_PK
    Free Member
    Dickyboy

Hmm Argos want £110 for painting frame only! Looks like the bottle cage repair is going to be cheap though, still nothing more local to the chiltern hills?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

try API,mine went via shop(The bike shop on pinner road,north harrow)

Dickyboy

API bikes look more like it & only in Chelmsford, I’ll give them a ring in the morning thanks.

thepodge
    Free Member

i think Vernon Barker (Sheffield) wanted about £6 to re do a bottle mount, i was then going to take it for a respray some where else much, much cheaper. clearly being in Sheff is no use to you but it should give you a good idea of cost.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmm Argos want £110 for painting frame only! Looks like the bottle cage repair is going to be cheap though, still nothing more local to the chiltern hills?

But it’s worth it.
    I had my Inbred repaired and sprayed by them, in the 2-pack epoxy. It’s virtuallly undestructable. I dropped a spaeer on the TT and it bounced off without leaving a mark. A year later, it still looks like new.
    🙂

Dickyboy

Sadly my frame is only worth about 2p & I just wanted to tart it up to match the forks I’d just bought, £6 bottle cage mount repair plus local respray looks like the route for me. Thanks

mutley

dickyboy

any joy with the respray? if so where did you get it done?

TheBrick
    Free Member

powdercoat is much cheaper for getting a frame done, not as nice as a good enamel but if it’s not for a posh bike it’s this hsould not matter. Should be able to find somewhere for about £40-60 ish.

RE: frame repair, there are lots of small frame builders all over the place who would do little jobs like this. I would ask at your local proper bike shop (i.e. old man with encyclopaedic knowledge of campag group-sets, central member of local club e.t.c) he / she will no doubt know someone who does simple frame repairs locally.

Alternately I’ve read that some mapp gas and a boss from ceeway would work. Never tried though only over used mapp on copper fittings for plumbing.

Macavity
    Free Member

Steel or aluminium frame?
    There is a thing called a Rivnut that can be used; which is effectively a blindrivet /poprivet type of insert that can be fitted into the hole in the frame and already has an M5x0.8mm thread.

eg page 51
    http://www.vartools.com/catalogue_var.pdf
    DV-17305

although not very commonly used it can be fitted to steel/ aluminium etc frames

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘frame repair & respray’ is closed to new replies.