Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Frame recommendations
  • smurf
    Free Member

Hi

I would like to build up a frame with old MTB parts to create a town bike that is worth a lot less than my nice road bike so I’m looking for recommendations.

I’ll need rigid forks and it will need to work with 26″ wheels, external BB (I plan to use a XT chainset I’ve got), 9 speed cassette, I’ll probably run a single ring chainset, mudguard attachments would be nice, I’m fairly flexible on the seat post size I’ve a few spares.

I’m just under 6 foot.

I don’t want anything too expensive or flashy as I want to be able to leave this chained up outside friends houses, the gym, shops etc (with a decent U lock) and not worry about it getting nicked or scratched.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Simon

Bez

I’d just sit on eBay/Gumtree/whatever until you find a bog standard 90s MTB in the right size at the right price. Chances are you’ll get a full bike for a similar price to a frameset, so look for both.

Example: £20 for this one. Ideal town bike with a bit of TLC.

wwaswas

2nd buying a complete bike – you can get 26″ stuff with decent kit for very little now.

fasthaggis

I build up an ugly bike for my son to use in Edinburgh.
    Gumtree £40
    It had once been a good frame so I took all the logos off the frame and wheels,
    put some old mudguards on that I broke first then repaired.
    Cheap lights from Tesco tapped to the bars and seat post.
    High viz tape all over the frame.
    Threaded the hubs so that the wheels could be held on by socket screws (M6)
    I made everything tatty and told him not to wash it.
    All he had to do was keep an eye on the running gear and brakes.
    I also put slime tubes in the tyres,he had 2 punctures in 4 years of use that it couldn’t cope with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Frame recommendations’ is closed to new replies.