Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Frame question, chat, whatever, just need to put it out there.
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Ok so if things pan out in the next few months I could have the all clear to buy a new HT frame/bike. I have a Rocket at the moment so a BFE is pretty pointless but I love the look, and the reviews, of the new Green Soul. But! I am not wedded to a Cotic and although I could afford the frame I will then be seriously challenged on fork choice and would need to go for 2nd hand at no more than £200(I have the rest of the parts albeit very old, on a current HT).

So to the discussion point, do I compromise on the fork and possible other bling for the foreseeable future and go with the Cotic, or do I go for something like the On One inbred frame and have fun with the £350 I have saved?

Discuss 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

bfe is only about 350 and is a billion times better than the 456.

boxelder

If it’s an XL you’re after, I have a P7 with 100-140 talas for £350 (frame + forks) and pro2/crest wheels (SP, hardly used for £225) ono?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnj2000
    Free Member

Small I am afraid

BFE is basically a hard tail rocket so not really an option, good call re price though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What ridin styles you into?

johnj2000
    Free Member

The hardtail purchase would range from trundles out on fire roads with my daughter to long SDW jaunts. Nothing silly, I am a particularly average middle aged rider and mange to scare myself enough n the Rocket so the HT will be for more sedate riding with occasional trail centre stuff when I have time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Cotic Soul would be ideal. Although haveing two Cotics in your stable is a bit cringe worthy to say the least, and it does show a huge lack of imagination.

What about a Dialled Bikes or a Sanderson?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Blimey! Thought it would generate more enthusiasm than 6 posts! OK what if I say I have reconsidered and am considering a 29er?

I haven’t but it might work.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I am in the hands of STW now we have moved into brands I am unaware of. Which model of the above would be equivalent?

boxelder

Sanderson Life.
    Mines SS at the moment, but soon to be resurrected as 2 x 10.

mangatank
    Free Member

I seriously doubt this would be something you’d consider…it’s pricey but at least it’s not another bloody Cotic ( no disrespect!):

Ritchey P-26

There’s a 29er and, much more intriguingly, a 650b version. Ritchey don’t sell the 26 inch frame in North America because the market’s dead for that format over there! 😐

Gorgeous, isn’t it?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Like he look of that boxelder, any idea of price? Don’t seem to sell from their web page.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Manga you t.@t 🙂 that is bound to be out of my price range but I have a twitching in my man parts after just one look.

catvet
    Free Member

Got a soul in green in small for sale

Phwill77 at g mail dot com

mangatank
    Free Member

God don’t even go there! It’s outrageously expensive! If I were to go for one it’d be the 650b, but only in my dreams.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Catvet, YGM

johnj2000
    Free Member

Manga, can’t event find one to gauge price on so might be best i stop looking

takisawa2

Soul.
    And pick up a 120mm Reba from the hand of second.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I managed to pick up a brand new Pure 7 frame for £200 just over a year ago. Its been a decade since I last owned a hardtail, but this one hasn’t disappointed. Am still chuffed to bit with it.

johnj2000
    Free Member

The Sanderson call is currently winning but I haven’t yet found one for sale. The Ritchey is probably out of my league, and the Soul is the obvious choice but I am being stupid and only wanting a green one which may limit me to new, which is going to cost.

garage-dweller

I am a big fan of the 456 for the tight budget. I bought one originally because I wanted rack mounts plus ability to take an existing 140mm fork and tough enough for my personal ballast!

It is not light and it is particularly not well finished.

What it is:
    Much better to ride than its price tag. More than happy to all day xc or trail centre on it.
    Long and roomy (good for my long torso/ short legs)
    Versatile to setup. Currently running at 100mm for winter xc loops. Big fork for more capability for summer + bigger brakes. Feels good in both and in rigid form too.

I didnt try any of the competitors at the time as I really need rack mounts for summer.days out with the toddlers.

Really liked the Cotic and Ragley options at the time (but more £ and no rack).

very personal view and others will no doubt vehemently disagree or have better suggestions.

mangatank
    Free Member

P-26…£760ish at Evans Cycles. That’s Ti money, and you should definitely go for a Ti 456 Evo if the two were on the table. Brilliant frame.

But…Tom Ritchey. So cool!

johnj2000
    Free Member

DG did you go for the carbon 456?

Manga, if only we were married, I could then up what I wanted.

johnj2000
    Free Member

DG=gd

mangatank
    Free Member

Leaving hardtail bling aside, the Kona Explosif (pronounced exploh-seef), is such a nice frame. You’ll see the odd post about them on the forum now and again. I bet my old one is still out there thrashing some hill or other. Kona tends to do them on a year-on/year-off basis, but well worth a look:

Explosif

A new one will be a 29er no doubt! 😉

eightyeight
    Free Member

Probably not the most fashionable name to be throwing around but have you looked at the saracen zen x?

I really like the frame geometry, looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Northwind

I’d consider a scandal, if you want to keep clear water between the bikes. Well priced, really nice handling, not as much of a lump as the Inbred, and well suited to your brief.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

was going to suggest a chromag samurai, think there’s one on pinbike

richen987
    Free Member

hi
    the Ritchey does look nice!

I have a Sanderson Life and live on the end of the SDW if you want to try it, they are very long in the top tube tho, so i would look at the geom’ before you buy.
    I really like mine, been geared and ss and it’s a great bike for riding around here. think i paid £350 for the frame new so pretty reasonable too.

mattjg
    Free Member

The hardtail purchase would range from trundles out on fire roads with my daughter to long SDW jaunts.

Sounds like the most classic of 29er use-cases to me. Try one at least. More contrast to your Rocket too, if you’re going to have different bikes, make them properly different I say.

Solaris is a possibility obviously, Genesis Fortitude, Singular Swift also good value and gives you the option of SS/geared and bouncy/rigid so very flexible. (As it happens I have a medium that needs a home, with forks, if it piques your interest. Am in Surrey).

(Oh and a Dialled Love/Hate frame too).

johnj2000
    Free Member

Lots to think about, thank you. Not sure I will make the move to a 29er as I would then have to buy wheels as well as forks which would completely bugger up the budget.

The Sanderson and Soul are front runners, but need to investigate the Scandal as well.

Richen987 which end of the SDW?

ampthill

Yes, don’t right of Aluminium

richen987
    Free Member

I am at the winchester end if thats any good, email is in profile if you fancy a ride.
    Checking through my records I bought mine from the bike chain in edinburgh, they delivered for free and were very helpful with sizing enquires and general questions.

garage-dweller

John mine is a steel 456. If it wasnt for the rack issue I.would have gone for the carbon v.

I nearly bought a carbon one to use on the trails and was going to hack bike the steel one but thought.that might be a little daft having 2 identically framed bikes with different builds.

dill
    Free Member

hi mattjg im interested in your singular swift if its still available.

johnj2000
    Free Member

YGM richen.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Been a little quiet on this thread as pretty much been off the bike or any exercise for 5 weeks now, however! Just taken a trundle out on my badly put together GT Avalanche, my god it was uncomfortable. Need a different frame for this road/SDW riding for sure, so the quest is back on with a vengeance.

Currently waiting for Sanderson to find me a small Life, but haven’t ruled out the others. Been searching eBay regularly for the likes of Ragley, Cotic, 456 but nothing in size and budget required. And then I have the Richey niggling away at me, I might be getting a lump of money soon that’s supposed to be going towards some house repairs. Surely we won’t miss 750 quid???? With this thought in mind does anyone know a retailer?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you looked at the dartmoor hornet.. only £189
    http://www.slam69.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=1030&product=dartmoor-hornet-2013

johnj2000
    Free Member

It looks very nice but isn’t it in Bfe territory rather than Soul?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Frame question, chat, whatever, just need to put it out there.’ is closed to new replies.