Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Frame protection on the budget….?
  • jeb

Hello

Looking for some cheaper frame protection.. would be nice if it were precut, it is for the latest specialized enduro, and it comes in mat carbon finish, is that hard to match ?

tomhoward

Given how much you will be spending on an enduro frame, £75 for an invisiframe kit is pocket change. It’s also the best on the market

Saccades
    Free Member

What tom said.

Bought an expensive bike, invisframed it – still looks new two years later.

muggomagic

You can buy rectangular pieces of the same sort of stuff that Invisiframe use and save yourself £30-40 depending on how much of the bike you want covered, which is what I did for my Alu hardtail, but for that sort of frame I’d definitely buy the proper kit from Invisiframe. It really does keep your bike looking great.

adaptcycles
    Free Member

Get in touch with a place that does vehicle wrapping. They’ll have a clear film used on cars to protect from stones chips etc. Probably cheaper than the heavily marketed bike stuff.

joebristol

Get in touch with a place that does vehicle wrapping. They’ll have a clear film used on cars to protect from stones chips etc. Probably cheaper than the heavily marketed bike stuff.

Not convinced on this actually – whilst the volume of material might be cheap – actual labour to fit a kit in the same detail as Invisiframe would be huge.

I 3M taped my new hardtail for £24 of raw materials but it took me hours, has less coverage than invisiframe and is a less good finish. I’m ok with it as it’s a custom frame invisiframe won’t have templates for and the main thing is the paint has some protection.

For an expensive frame like a carbon enduro is probably stump up for invisiframe and might even pay someone professional to apply it I reckon.

z1ppy

I wouldn’t skimp, buy the Invisiframe kit, my 6 year old frame still looks almost new because of it.
    Any other cheaper option yellows or peels off IME, I wouldn’t suggest invisframe is perfect but I’ve yet to be convinced anything else comes close.

bri-72

Echo comments above, silly not too for such an expensive frame. I did for my Carbon Scott genius.

Conversely I’ve just got a £250 gravel frame and the same economics don’t make sense. So bought £20 worth of the car protective film that’s basically uncut invisiframe . Not looking to do whole frame just protect usual places and mounting points for bags etc. Should have plenty left over too from a 1.5m roll. How good it’ll look only time will tell.

andydunne12
    Free Member

What do you guys do if you have an On-one scandal? Invisiframe dont list it on there website
    Generic kit?

nixie

I’ve made by own cut to size and rounded off sections before. It’s not that much cheaper and I only did it as the frame/cost ratio made buying a kit less appealing. Don’t think either frame had a kit either at that point. Neither are quite as neat as a Lazer cut kit but if you take you time it can look good. The biggest challenge is nicely radiuses corners. I made paper templates to get the sizes right. Next time I’m just going to buy a full kit as the time involved was considerable.

muggomagic

What do you guys do if you have an On-one scandal?

For my hardtail I measured the top tube, down tube, chain and seat stays and then purchased sheets of this stuff from Amazon and cut them to shape. Wasn’t too difficult cutting and fitting on the round tubes of the top and down tube. The chain and seat stays were a bit harder due to the change in size and shape of the tubes. It does look pretty good on the bike and is probably a little bit thicker than Invisiframe which helps with the fitting IMO.

You can search for VentureShield and buy it in different lengths and widths.

VentureShield 7510CC | Clear Paint Protection Film for Cars & Bikes | Made by 3M https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082YHTG1B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_10KK24X27KJ1Z82KYVJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

damascus
    Free Member

What do you guys do if you have an On-one scandal? Invisiframe dont list it on there website

Generic kit

I have a scandal and it cost me £150. It has some inner tube round the rear chain stays and that’s it.

I have used a roll of waterproof outdoor clear tape before that’s worked well but in some places it doesn’t last, corners lift, dirt gets in and it needs re doing.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I have built a Scandal recently and used a DyedBro kit. You can get a plain version rather than a design, but you trim to fit. I found it quite easy. My big bike I invisiframed which was well worth the money, fits perfect and has been spot on for 4 years.

The DyedBro kit is ace and looks and feels built to last. And it’s £38.

endomick
    Free Member

Shack wrap in Bury do a kit for under £30 that offers more coverage pieces than HKT and AMS kits

spooky_b329

I bought a sheet of Invisiframe and used it on my gravel bike. It turned out pretty good but did take about a day, templating each piece with A3 paper (newspaper was too floppy). I did mine to stop bikepacking bag rub and grinding mud into the top tube so it covers all the main tubes but not all the nooks and crannies, if you want a full coverage kit I would pony up for a fitted kit.

prezet
    Free Member

Agree with others. I’ve invisiframed all my bikes in recent years. Keeps them looking great. Also boosts the resale value when its time to change up. The kits really are that good, they come perfectly cut for your frame.

I also just used one of their generic kits on my alloy Diverge, took a bit of trimming up to get the fit just right, but once it’s on it’s near invisible.

sync
    Free Member

On a really tight budget, this tape works well enough. Just double layer it on the down tube.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/t-rex-repair-tape-clear-8-2m-x-48mm/885fh

oikeith

Fellow Enduro owner here who opted for the invisiframe kit, Id suggest just getting the matt finish kit and forget about it.

The coverage the kit offers is excellent, something I am not sure could be replicated with ease at home. Main frame was quite easy to fit, the rear end was a slight pig!

Few riders out there are sponsored by Invisiframe and have codes for money off, this is what I used when buying mine.

Have done 200 miles on my Enduro in the slop and gunk since November and the bike/kit still looks mint

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve just Invisiframed my Aether 9c.

First time I’ve ever used a kit like that.

It was millimeter perfect, and although the process is easy enough you need to be methodical and patient.

There was some learning curve but it took about 4 hours to do the whole frame.

Theres no way I would have achieved such comprehensive or accurate coverage from a sheet of my own stuff even with templates made from paper in that time.

wildfires3

Invisframe’s Expel is very good, it’s thinner than Heli tape, but easier to conform around complex shapes. But per-sheet it is really expensive.

I got some PPF for cars.. maybe a bit too much.. maybe 4 square meters too much, and then spent time with paper templates for my FS.

For the HT it was an easy fit for the most part.

I paid around £40 for the lot. You only need about 1 square meter..

zerocool

You can buy generic pre-cut stuff from most bike shops or a roll of cheap helicopter tape (3M) online but I would get some invisiframe for any decent bike I bought now. We’ve used it on 4 bikes so far and no matter what anyone says there’s nothing off the shelf and pre-cut that is anywhere near in the same league as it.

And it’s cut and shaped so well that you’d have to be a complete buffoon to cock it up

wildfires3

I should probably add Invisiframe didn’t do a kit for my FS. I used their generic hardtail kit and it was very good.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Frame protection on the budget….?’ is closed to new replies.