Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame protection
  • ElShalimo

Can anyone recommend a good discreet black coloured chainstay protector without a massive logo on it?
    For protecting the down tube, which protective film has the best combination of easy to apply, durability and protection?
    Also, can anyone recommend any small clear patches to avoid cable rub? again easy to apply and shape.
    Cheers

Duane…
    Free Member
    hopkinsgm

For the chainstay – a roll of black gaffer tape?

simon1975

For the chainstay try self-amalgamating electrical tape. Matt black once it’s set.

stumpy01

I use a section of old inner tube for a chainstay protector.

For protecting the downtube get some helitape from somewhere like ebay or the above link. I got some proper 3M stuff that was nice & thick and does the job really well.

For small clear patches, either cut your own from the helitape or get the Lizard Skins clear ones (with a small white logo in the middle). They stick well & are very durable.

With all the sticky stuff, make sure the frame is perfectly clean and heat both the frame and the sticky stuff. You don’t need to get them real hot, but warming them up helps the adhesive get a good bond.

ElShalimo

anyone used Paragon Tapes on eBay?

Will helitape/3M tape be tough enough to protect the chain stay too? My frame is very yellow and I’d rather not use a rubber protector if i can use a clear one

ElShalimo

evening bump

Bagstard
    Free Member

The soft side of self adhesive velcro is very good, quiet, tough and discreet.

carlos
    Free Member

+1 for the old inner tube.
    Road bike bar tape or squash racquet grip stuff

stumpy01

ElShalimo – Member
    anyone used Paragon Tapes on eBay?

Will helitape/3M tape be tough enough to protect the chain stay too? My frame is very yellow and I’d rather not use a rubber protector if i can use a clear one

I used Paragon tapes on eBay – it was OK, but quite thin. At the time, I didn’t think anything of it.
    When I wanted to put some on another bike I looked again and found whuser034 selling “3M 8671HS ‘Helicopter’ Protection Tape; 4″ x 1 yard”
    This stuff seems to be the real deal & is a damn sight thicker than the stuff from paragon tapes.

Don’t get me wrong, the paragon tapes stuff is fine & I’ve got it on my Inbred, but the 3m 8671HS stuff just feels that bit thicker & more durable.

Personally I wouldn’t use just helicopter tape on the chainstay, but you could always use a couple of layers and see how you get on.

ElShalimo

thanks stumpy

unsponsored
    Free Member

The self amalgamating tape is pretty good. i have it on both of my bikes.

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48

Bike in the last post.

i use helitape elsewhere. Both recent lots were bought from biketart.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame protection’ is closed to new replies.