Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Frame mounted tool box (possible dream content)
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure I once saw a tool box mounted to the frame of a Bird 145. At the front between the top and down tubes behind the headtube.

Im convinced it was a Bird product and mounted to the frame rather than Velcro, but I’m damned if I can find now.

Did I dream, or do these things exist?!

TheGingerOne

Sure it wasn’t the Pork Chop Bag on an Ibis Mojo?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Those Pork Chops are excellent.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah like that, but not an Ibis, I think I’ve dreamt it again.

Akers

Canyon do one but it only fits to their bikes unfortunately. My mate has one on his Spectal, to store his snacks in!

Phil_H
    P-Jay
    Free Member

@Phil_H thanks, that’s EXACTLY what I was thinking of, sadly wrong bike though. I’m

benpinnick

Tomas at our workshop has a topeak one, but its discontinued now. That blackburn looks good though.

EDIT: So good I just bought one. None in stock with the distributor until MARCH 2019 though… Sometimes I think being an actual bike shop must be a nightmare!

scotroutes

Cage

Or  have a look at some of the online Euro bike shops. They often have loads of wee bags like that.

simon_g

Topeak one? https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/mini-tools/374-survival-gear-box

I bought one but it feels really heavy, I suspect as it’s so densely packed with stuff. Been meaning to weigh it against the pile of bits that’s usually in my pack and see how they compare.

epicyclo

I have one of those Topeak boxes. It does feel a bit heavy and it tends to be left at home or popped in thebackpack rather than bolted to the bike.

Lovely bit of kit though. 🙂

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I have one of these on my Aeris: https://www.roswheel.eu/roswheel-shop/all-items/front-frame-bag

Not quite as nice as the Blackburn, and I have to squash it a bit to fit in the space, but it was £9.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I actually bought one of the topeak ones about 10 years ago, it was surprisingly useful, even if I had the piss taken out of me for my little tool box.

Didn’t once think of mounting it to my bike, wasn’t the done thing then.

cokie

If you have the luxury of a spare bottle cage mounts, then the Wolf Tooth B-rad system is pretty cool.
    It keeps things off the frame. Clean and tidy.

Sorry about the poor picks. It’s the only ones I have.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Back in the late 80s / early 90s frame bags were quite popular, until you realised they scratched the paint to buggery and usually got covered in crap.
    Mud hasn’t changed, have the bags?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh and the same applied to water bottles. Why have we started going backwards?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

No-one’s forcing you to use a frame bag or water bottle if you don’t want to.. 😉

Some of us prefer to not wear a pack nor carry stuff in pockets. My frame is Invisiframed so it doesn’t get scratched, and I don’t really ride in horrendous mud. I have a Mudhugger that keeps the worst of any spray off the bag and the bottle. Is that OK, or do I need to ditch them for your approved choice?

scotroutes

Mud hasn’t changed, have the bags?

They invented helicopter tape (for those that can’t afford titanium frames).

epicyclo

Scratches? Isn’t that what mud was invented to hide? 🙂

tjagain

I am with epicyclo on this.  Who cares about a few scratches on a bike?  Proud battle scars.

I have a variety of frame bags for different use.  The smallest one takes everything I need for a ride and a bottle on the frame means no backpack required

winston
    Free Member

I don’t object to scratches but I do object to mud and worse all over my bottle mouthpiece….not to mention the bottle pinging out and not being able to drink on the move so easily

However a small saddle pack and a simple bladder only camelbak has worked for me in the pre-dropper past

Thinking of returning to that with one of these smaller framebags

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bring back the neon pink Cosmic Local Motion frame bag with integrated shoulder pad.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Frame mounted tool box (possible dream content)’ is closed to new replies.