Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame modification, near Cheshire.
  • tthew

My dad has a Dutch bike which he, (inexplicably – I’ve ridden it, it’s bloody weird) loves. Problem is he’s getting a bit wary of slinging his leg over the top tube now he’s knocking on a bit. It needs that cutting off, but then reattaching lower on the seat tube to down tube to provide some triangulation, I don’t’ reckon this designed as a step-thru with an added top tube.

Any suggestions in/near Cheshire or any volunteers? Don’t think it will need an artisanal frame builder, just someone who can mitre and fine weld or braze it on. We’ll just black enamel over any paint issues.

Magnificent Beast

edit – I’m looing at it now, and wondering if a gusset between the down tube and head tube wouldn’t also be a good idea. 🤔

iainfrancis
    Free Member

It might be a bit awkward if the seat tube is butted as the wall thickness will be too thin where you plan to reattach the top tube. Even if it doesn’t break it might extremely flexible.

binman

Might be worth talking to Cheshire Cycles ?

timba
    Free Member

I think that it’d be simpler to wander around Decathlon and ebay

fossy

You don’t sling your leg over the top tube, you sling it over the wheel. Can’t see altering that frame (if possible) will make much difference.

mick_r

I’d be 99% certain that thing hasn’t got butted tubes… 🙂

If you struggle to find anyone properly local then I could do it, but wouldn’t be for at least 6 weeks (I’m a bit further north up the M6). Have got frame jig, brazing and mitre kit. Probably have some 28.6mm Columbus cro-mo tube.

5lab

You don’t sling your leg over the top tube, you sling it over the wheel

you sling it over the top tube if your top tube is low enough. A far nicer way to mount a bicycle.

dave_h
    Free Member

It looks like the ‘ladies’ version isn’t fundamentally different to the ‘mens’ version so it would probably just be a case of taking out the top tube, cutting it down and welding it on further down.

As has been alluded to though, the cost of doing that probably outweighs the value of the bike and buying a replacement built to the spec is probably the better route.

null

tthew

Embarrassingly, I forgot to follow up my question. Thanks everyone, particularly @mick_r (might take you up on that) and @dave_h for the photo of the ladies version, that reassures me the basic idea is sound. 👍

mick_r

Yeah just drop me a message sometime.

Could probably reuse the top tube to fit a strut low down like the ladies version, together with a short tube to triangulate the top of the HT to that lump of a downtube.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d be 99% certain that thing hasn’t got butted tubes… 🙂

I didn’t realise they’d even started putting holes down the middle!

mick_r

It wouldn’t be gaspipe without a hole…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.