Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Frame integrity issue
  • singletun
    Free Member

Pic

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8AjmZW5DKgwngYs78

Hier,

New to Forum & mtb history was teenage for 3 years, now bikes have turned into spaceships!

Retro cromo mtb hardtail rockshox indy forks, holes about 5 mm.

14 stone rider only tracks, roads, woods etc, yet considered bike for long trips days & maybe 2 weeks ect Inc a rear rack 10 kg est.

No suspension seatpost nor getting one.

No idea bar ‘ should be alright’ .

Thanks for replies ref clarifying safety longevity & weather should resign bike to winter machine.

Thanks

Singleton.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks to have been like that from new.

I’d ride it and check from time to time.

singletun
    Free Member

I very much doubt that opinion upon new, German engineered tanks do not roll off the production line without quality controll!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singletun
    Free Member

I should add, there was an intention to do grocery shopping & thus weight of 20 kg est

jonm81

Someone has blown holes in that while welding the seat stays. Either the stays have been replaced or it was during the original build. The welding between the two stays is pretty poor too.

Either way, I wouldn’t be riding that frame.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, blown welds.

I’ve no idea what you’re on about in the rest of your post!

singletun
    Free Member

Turn watt seams bargains upside down before purchase!

More comments welcome, ref perceived safety risk verse weight and riding stated.

I thought myself it was worth posting as forums have experts, wouldn’t ride it yourselves I’d agree if it was for propa off roading, but it’s just for tracks ie gravel paths etc.

I also ride out the saddle a lot when it gets quite bumpy.

& can go easy with panniers, apparently jb weld won’t be of much use.

I think I’ll resign it to a winter hack & get something else, or perhaps get a new frame, as I like rok indy S forks.

Ta

mutepoint
    Free Member

Yh ride on!

Or did you want me to type that

singletun
    Free Member

No, I don’t know your experience, with many views I then take on that, I’m already leaning to a new frame, as mines 54 prefer 52 & can then make my very own custom lard tail for tracks Inc racks with great forks for such a purpose, perhaps get a new descent 26 wheelset eventually.

Will cost less than a half descent hybrid & will do all year workhorse, every cloud may bring watt I actually want.

Already got carbon matt bars seatpost bars, so I’ll be just 17 once more.

Forgot to turn upside down to inspect, but had 3 pints of Guiness priory purchase)

Anyway bike was 70 quid, so still not to bad.

matt_outandabout

maccruiskeen

A custom lard tail you say?

you’ve joined the right forum!

singletun
    Free Member

Yes, & now I’m thinking make it a single speed!

So having said all the above, the sensible thing to do, wood be keep Winta hack & get something like this for further a field.

Better cost comparitive but that’s not following the heart, which says custom my own bike that will cost 3 to 500 £!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114433153584

jonm81

Doesn’t matter where or how you ride it. That is a high stress joint under compression and the second most common place for frames to crack after the chainstay/bottom bracket joint.

If that fails while riding it will lead to a crash. By all means ride it if you want.

I wouldn’t under any circumstances.

singletun
    Free Member

Well, I Sea a risk, especially if I don’t check it after each ride, don’t have 3 pints of Guiness before purchasing 2nd hand bikes.

Its the seatstay joint fyi

Im still interested to sea other comments, I’ll have to ride it,weather others would ride it, it could hold up without further issue for ages.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Frame integrity issue’ is closed to new replies.