Frame further reduced in sale, not sure where I stand?

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Frame further reduced in sale, not sure where I stand?
  • lemonysam

Meh… We get people doing this all the time at work and so far as I know it’s not put me out of a job. I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t at least ask.

slimjim78

I’d never pay full RRP for a bike. Same as buying a brand new car (analogy lovers)

creamegg

The way I see it you have a few options;
    1. Suck it up and get over it its only £50 (now £100 but still suck it up)
    2. Email them and ask if they’d be willing to refund the difference
    3. Send bike back order new one at lower price.

Repeat again next week when it’s further reduced, and again the following week.

Were you not able to come to a decision without asking the Internet? Do you need help deciding between toast or cornflakes this morning?

slimjim78

Easy, Toast – cornflakes are forever being reduced in price and it just winds me up man

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Prices change and timing is apparently everything in the bicycle buying world.

CRC do free returns, so no cost to you. It’s legal. But morally grey.

Tosh. CRC is a business and can clearly afford to “take the hit” of 5% on this particular product… There’s no issue of “morality” here.

They wrote the Ts&Cs that allow you to do this OP it’s entirely their issue to deal with the outcome of their pricing decisions…
    If you can live with the build delay and time spent returning the frame then get the £50 back. If you offer to save them the courier costs and they offer vouchers in return I would be inclined to take it, your in the middle of a build, so the £50 would probably end up going back their way on parts anyway…

Junkyard

there is a morality issue here: basically the issue is not can he do this but should he do this

CRC could afford to give him the frame, sponsor him and his mates and send them all on holiday to Whistler. This is still not the issue we are discussing.

brooess

Tosh. CRC is a business and can clearly afford to “take the hit” of 5% on this particular product… There’s no issue of “morality” here.

Well everyone’s entitled to their opinion but if you paid a bit more attention I think you’ll find that post-2008 most people are heading away from the ‘take what I can and sod the others’ mentality, it’s rather fallen out of fashion now we see the long term impact of it.

You may have noticed that salaries are going nowhere – that’s because in the private sector at least, customers (whether consumers or businesspeople) are squeezing, squeezing and squeezing. Worth remembering that when you squeeze a business over bike parts – it means someone else, somewhere, gets less… sometimes with quiet serious consequences when businesses make people redundant or go bust.

It’s one thing to do your online research and buy at the lowest price you can. it’s another to deliberately exploit terms and conditions for your own gain…

Premier Icon jimplops
    Subscriber

Send it back, then buy it when it comes up as a recycled item, should be cheaper still, but you’ll have lost riding time.

Junkyard – lazarus

there is a morality issue here

No there isn’t. The Op is absolutely entitle, by law, to return the frame for a full refund. And do what he pleases with his money.

And he’s perfectly entitled to buy another frame at the lower price – A price that CRC are happy to sell at.

Nobody is being ripped off here. And if both parties agree to a refund, which is most likely, then it saves both sides hassle.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

My bike got dropped by £600 shortly after I bought it (see the Cannondale thread). You saw the price and you paid it. Enjoy the bike and move on.

Prices change.

Get over it.

Paul’s Cycles would give you short shrift if you asked IME.

CRC have been known to make goodwill gestures in instances like this.

I probably wouldn’t have bothered asking for £50 on an £800 frame myself, but I wouldn’t flame the OP for doing so. I know what it’s like to be hard up.

OP – Hope you’ve learned your lesson here, don’t start a thread on STW for this kinda thing.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The Op is absolutely entitle, by law, to return the frame for a full refund.

Entitled by CRC policy innit?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

No there isn’t. The Op is absolutely entitle, by law, to return the frame for a full refund. And do what he pleases with his money.

Bollocks. He can return it in terms of CRC contract, not law (unless DSR applies also).

There is a separate moral aaspect, of course.

slimjim78

OP – Hope you’ve learned your lesson here, don’t start a thread on STW for this kinda thing.

Haha, quite.
    What’s interesting to me is that i thought I had worded my opener carefully enough – I was just mulling it over and wondering if consensus would be yay, or nay. Not quite expecting ‘you are a morally reprehensible nimby princess’*

LiberalTrackWorld may be more appropriate, but I do come here for balance occasionally. Being flamed is par for the course

*i may have exaggerated for effect here

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

I bought an Enduro from Bikescene, it was further reduced by £200 about 2 weeks after. I didn’t even consider asking them for money back, as the quality of service and aftercare was worth the £200 to me.

mamadirt

As I posted earlier it’s still probably gonna cost you to return it . . .

If you’re returning a bike or similar bulky item please contact us and we’ll make it easy for you to return it to us.

How do I return a bike?
    Returning bikes can be difficult so let us take the pain out of it. We can organise the collection of your bike with one of our delivery partners and share with you our reduced rates for doing this. Please contact us and we will happy to organise this.

I’m guessing a frame would be the same as too big for Royal Mail or Collect Plus.

Euro

A phone call should sort it, they’re good that way.

I bought my first FS bike for the princely sum of £1,500. A month later it was selling for £999 from the same shop. I was a little annoyed and called into the shop where they said sorry, but it was out of their control and gave me a couple of cycling tops (that were too small) as an apology. It wasn’t just the initial loss that bothered me, but the second hand value dropped dramatically as a result. I realise that these things happen from time to time and i learnt a valuable lesson – let some other mug take the hit and buy second hand.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

cynic-al – Member

Bollocks. He can return it in terms of CRC contract, not law

Which means he’s entitled to do it by law. Don’t think DSR applies here, doesn’t matter. CRC have chosen to offer a bonus service but they’re bound to it.

For anyone feeling for the poor hard done by retailer; CRC are a big volume distance seller, not your LBS. They have huge competitive advantages which they use to the full. But it brings with it a few disadvantages. It’s just 2 sides of the same coin.

steve_b77

What you gonna do if they reduce them even more in 11 months, whinge on t’interweb, contemplate emails or just suck it up and ride the damn thing?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Well everyone’s entitled to their opinion but if you paid a bit more attention I think you’ll find that post-2008 most people are heading away from the ‘take what I can and sod the others’ mentality, it’s rather fallen out of fashion now we see the long term impact of it.
    You may have noticed that salaries are going nowhere – that’s because in the private sector at least, customers (whether consumers or businesspeople) are squeezing, squeezing and squeezing. Worth remembering that when you squeeze a business over bike parts – it means someone else, somewhere, gets less… sometimes with quiet serious consequences when businesses make people redundant or go bust.
    It’s one thing to do your online research and buy at the lowest price you can. it’s another to deliberately exploit terms and conditions for your own gain…

Please, your macro-ecconomic karma argument holds about as much water as a Callander, CRC are not going to go bust or deprive their employees for want of £50 that one customer’s circumstances, and reading of the Ts&Cs essentially entitle him to, The OP of course is also a little part of the “post 2008” economy and that money has some value to him also…

Or should He willingly hurl fist fulls of him money at large retailers, all for the economic greater good?

“Morality” is an overused and yet quite misunderstood concept these days…

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Northwind – Member
    cynic-al – Member
    Bollocks. He can return it in terms of CRC contract, not law
    Which means he’s entitled to do it by law.

Since when do contracts create law?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

cynic-al – Member

Since when do contracts create law?

Being intentionally obtuse? Contracts don’t create law; law enforces contracts.

Euro

CRC are a big volume distance seller, not your LBS

That might depend on where you live 😉

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

That’s a completely valid and correct point BUT I WILL STILL ARGUE WITH IT SOMEHOW

brooess

Please, your macro-ecconomic karma argument holds about as much water as a Callander, CRC are not going to go bust or deprive their employees for want of £50 that one customer’s circumstances, and reading of the Ts&Cs essentially entitle him to, The OP of course is also a little part of the “post 2008” economy and that money has some value to him also…

Or should He willingly hurl fist fulls of him money at large retailers, all for the economic greater good?

The Paradox of Thrift

Paradox of Thrift states that individuals try to save more during an economic recession, which essentially leads to a fall in economic growth.

Not entirely my own macro-economic argument to be fair – one from John Maynard Keynes, a fairly well-known economist 🙂

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Are you the kind of guy who tells your friends off for going on holiday by air travel because of global warming?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Northwind your use of terminology isnt correct.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

The shocking thing on this thread is that a student thinks £50 is “nearly a weeks food shopping”!

cynic-al – Member
    Northwind your use of terminology isnt correct.

The original point is though – OP is entitled to “cancel his order” by returning for a refund for up to 14 days after he receives it, according to Consumer Contract regs, which replaced DSR

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    The shocking thing on this thread is that a student thinks £50 is “nearly a weeks food shopping”!

In my day, that was a bag of chips and £49 worth of cider

brooess

Are you the kind of guy who tells your friends off for going on holiday by air travel because of global warming?

Well – excessive air travel doesn’t help does it?… but the answer is no. If friends ask for my advice then I’m happy to offer it but I don’t go around preaching at them. I doubt I’d have any friends left!

The OP asked for an opinion from STW, so I’ve given him my opinion. I didn’t send him an email and harangue him with my thoughts on his morality…

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

True, I may have been reading too literally!

FunkyDunc

Sorry I couldn’t stop laughing after the original post to read the rest, but if OP returns the item, and then tries to re order, what do you think are the chances of the shop realising and telling him to **** off ?

Almost zero.

slimjim78

What you gonna do if they reduce them even more in 11 months, whinge on t’interweb, contemplate emails or just suck it up and ride the damn thing?

I’ll rise to that one. No. the bike should built within the next few weeks. If after 11 months I happened to still have it boxed and unused, I would likely feel less agreived by a price drop – what with nearly a year passing. Of course I’d still be within rights to return thanks to this stonking return programme. But I’d be surprised if stock were available by that point. (Asides from my returned item of course..)

It wasn’t ever really a whinge by the way (not sure if you actually read my posts?). I was just wondering what others may/may not do in similar circumstances.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Hey slimjim,

Just popping into the circus to say good luck with the email mate.

CRC are usually pretty reasonable and for the sake of an email got to be worth a shot?

To be honest,I wouldn’t reply on here with outcome just to wind a few “holier than thou’s” up. 😉

Keep ’em in suspenders. Lol

Again, good luck.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Well – excessive air travel doesn’t help does it?… but the answer is no. If friends ask for my advice then I’m happy to offer it but I don’t go around preaching at them. I doubt I’d have any friends left!

The OP asked for an opinion from STW, so I’ve given him my opinion. I didn’t send him an email and harangue him with my thoughts on his morality…

Apologies if my comment seemed harsh, was supposed to be a flippant quip.

Personally I’m gonna stick with blaming the unfettered free market and Tory policy for the state of our economy though.

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Frame further reduced in sale, not sure where I stand?’ is closed to new replies.