Frame flex to help handling when angled over

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Frame flex to help handling when angled over
  • greyspoke

@geex the whole discussion is about the effect on flat corners, or at any rate on corners where you are asking your tyres for some sideways force. Obviously if you are riding a berm in perfect balance, you ain’t got a problem. Do keep up.

BTW I can ride my bike and do trigonometry at the same time. I’m multi-talented, me.

hols2

Also, has anyone noticed that a MTB trail tends to be a little bumpier than a Moto GP track?

If you think about it for a little bit, MotoGP bikes hit bumps much, much faster. At those speeds, something that seems like a minor undulation on a fairly smooth track turns into a high-frequency bump. The frame flex issue was about damping those lateral forces.

hols2

the whole discussion is about the effect on flat corners, or at any rate on corners where you are asking your tyres for some sideways force.

Do you have some videos of MTB riders laying their bikes over at those extreme lean angles off-road? Every time I look at videos of bikes leaning over, it turns out they are on bermed corners and they aren’t actually hitting big bumps out of alignment with the suspension travel.

If you think about it for a little bit, MotoGP bikes hit bumps much, much faster. At those speeds, something that seems like a minor undulation on a fairly smooth track turns into a high-frequency bump. The frame flex issue was about damping those lateral forces.

As anyone who has done a track day at an airfield will likely attest to.

It’s amazing how a runway that seems quite smooth when belting along it in the back of an aircraft can feel like a potato field when hammering along it on a motorbike.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.