Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Frame designers: What came first 30.9 dia seat tubes or 30.9 dia dropper posts?
  • Swirly
    Free Member

What came first 30.9 diameter seat tubes or 30.9 diameter dropper seat posts?

Just wondering and musing on how this seems to be becoming an industry ‘standard’?

Any bike industry types/frame builders care to shed light on this chicken or egg type questions please?

Thanks!

sambob
    Free Member

Why would anyone make a 30.9 dropper post if there weren’t any frames to put them in?

tmb467
    Free Member

My frame has 30.9 seat post ID and its from 05

So it’s been around for a while

Toasty

From what I recall my 2001 Specialized Enduro was 30.9. We didn’t even have seat posts back in those days, lump of coal on a sharp stick, if we were lucky.

mrmo
    Free Member

We didn’t even have seat posts back in those days, lump of coal on a sharp stick, if we were lucky.

lump of coal! H&S gone made i tell thee, when i was a lad we just had a sharp stick and were grateful!

Swirly
    Free Member

Aye happen I tell thee….trouble at mill etc…

Sounds like 30.9 seat tubes were first then! 🙂

Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

So someone at Spesh told me – they made their first M2 frames, then measured the seat tube, turned out to be 30.9. It stuck. That was early 90s. Other brands have just followed. Probably apocryphal, but you never know!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yes, my ’97 Stumpy has a 30.9 seat tube. I also have one of the first gravity droppers from around 1993 ish (although that is a 27.2)

Swirly
    Free Member

Gravity droppers as far back as ’93??

Blimey who’d have thought!

Toasty

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spec for a long time,
    my 06 heckler was 30.9

It took a while for the others to catch on that a spindley 27.2 wasn’t enough

Swirly
    Free Member

I was waiting for that toasty…couldn’t remember what they were called tho!!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Gravity droppers as far back as ’93??

Blimey who’d have thought!

Sorry, should have been 2003… MBR reviewed one in around 2004 and gave it 6/10 on the basis that it worked really well, but they couldn’t see the point!

mboy
    Free Member

Award for the stupidest question of the day goes to?

Anyway… Had a 1997 Team Edition M2 for a whole, took a 30.9 post. Was the first I’d seen at the time, everything else being 27.2 (or smaller) up to that point.

Sorry, should have been 2003… MBR reviewed one in around 2004 and gave it 6/10 on the basis that it worked really well, but they couldn’t see the point!

😆

How times have changed… Fast forward 10 years and MBR would probably have you believe it’s impossible to ride a bike down any kind of descent without a 5″ dropper post…

Swirly
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions…. Somebody once said 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

My old Marin Pine Mtn had a 26.4mm seat post, bent well at that size!

Yet to bend a 30.9mm post.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

My 1994 Stumpjumper M2 was 27.2 so I’d treat that M2 story as a story. It also had a 1″ headtube (I dont think Spesh comitted to 1 1/8 until 1995).

brant
    Free Member

2mm wall thickness on a 34.9mm OD tube innit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Frame designers: What came first 30.9 dia seat tubes or 30.9 dia dropper posts?’ is closed to new replies.