Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Frame damage: superficial battlescar or terminal?
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Ouch! 🙁

As a recently 'returned to the fold' SC user I've been keeping a close eye on the mtbr forum and it seems that folks over there have been more than happy with Santa Cruz's warranty/crash replacement service – fingers crossed for you that things are as good in the UK. I've found them very helpful and quick to reply to emails.

TeaBoyPaul

A bit naughty but why don't you just put in a claim saying ti was nicked from yer shed?

Well for a start, I don't own a shed!! Anyway, there is no need to be underhand about these things. I've got accidental damage cover on my house/contents insurance so I'm going to see if M&S will play ball. I have spoken to SC about a crash replacement, but they don't have any small 'classic' Blur front ends available any more. The best they could do was an LT front end matched to my old back end.. Not ideal, therefore I'm going down the insurance route first to see where that gets me..

I hear the people who say 'don't claim on insurance it will put premiums up' but then I've never claimed before, and whats the point of having it if you are not going to claim when you need to!?!

Many thanks to all for the words of wisdom (on both sides of the fence) and the moral support!

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul

TeaBoyPaul

Well, after much fannying about by Wheelies (I gave up and rang them in the end) and the offer of Intense frames left, right and centre (everything from a Spider 2 to a 6.6) I eventually got them to agree they couldn't supply me with a Santa Cruz frame and so I went back to speak to M&S.. They were implausably helpful and even went through looking on the Santa Cruz website for a price whilst I was on the phone rather than me having to 'send in a written quote'. M&S were happy (once they had confirmed with Wheelies that it was as close to my frame as is possible to get) to give me the cash to replace with a new Blur XC Carbon… result!!
    Now I just need to decide whether to get the XC Carbon or something else + new forks…. decisions, decisions.

Another Positive result from M&S insurance though!

Cheers,

Paul

Onzadog
    Free Member

All's well that ends well I guess. I just hope my M&S premium doesn't go up next year now! 🙂

I would have said ride it, clean it regularly so you can keep an eye on it. I did something very similar to the bottom of my down tube near the bottom bracket on my Turner 6 pack when it was 4 rides old. 4 years later, it's fine.

TeaBoyPaul

I did have a really good think about not claiming, but then I figured what is the point of having insurance if you are never going to actually make use of it!

I know what you mean about keep riding it, but its been playing on my mind since I spotted it… I wouldn't want to be 25 miles from home when the downtube began to slowly split before my eyes! Will be keeping hold of the frame anyway… she's been good to me!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

You've done well there, id have put the classic blur closer to a Superlight out of the current range.

TeaBoyPaul

The Superlight is a single pivot design, not vpp…. surely that counts it out?!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Frame damage: superficial battlescar or terminal?’ is closed to new replies.