Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Frame Bearings – Where to buy?
  • doomanic

I’ve been iformed that my frame bearings are worn and need replacing. Before I chuck over 200 quid (yes, really) at the bike shop can anybody suggest somewhere to get a full set of good quality bearings?

simonbowns
    Free Member

What bike? That sounds pretty bonkers!

chakaping
    Free Member

There are a few online bearing suppliers I’ve used.

Mb bearings is the only one I can remember the name of.

Phone another shop or two and ask for a price for a bearing change on your model bike

I’d expect to pay closer to £100 personally.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    doomanic

Trek Powerfly.
    It was Sprung who quoted. 60-80 quid for the bearings and 3-4 hours labour at £45/hr.

chakaping
    Free Member

The price I suggested would be based on supplying a bare frame BTW, as that’s how I’ve done it in the past.

kcr
    Free Member

I just replaced the bearings on my old Anthem. £21 for a full set from MB Bearings. They seemed fine; just standard bearings, but I popped the seals off and filled them right up with grease for a bit of extra protection before installing.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Kinetic bike bearings are usually pretty good, if they don’t list a kit, I usually just strip the frame then measure all the bearings and order individually, usually next day delivery to.
    If you any where near North Cumbria I’d happily do it for a competitive price.
    Have a look for RM Cycleworks on Facebook

martinhutch

If you are sourcing them yourself, make sure you get max bearings for pivots rather than any old bearing of the same dimensions. The ones designed for hubs won’t last long in MTB suspension.

BigR

I have found Kinetic very good to deal with.

al2000

+1 for Kinetic bike bearings.

Northwind

Kinetic for me too, when I need a complete set. It’s not often you do, though, I usually just replace them as required. TBH that’s something bearing in mind- if absolutely every bearing needs replaced, that almost certainly means that some of the bearings needed replaced quite a while ago, so the price today is effectively the price for 1-and-a-half services.

Unless Trek have changed a lot, that does seem a high labour cost- I can do every one in my Remedy in 2 hours max, the bike was designed with servicing in mind.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Another Kinetic fan here too

I’ve lost count (quite comfortably) of how many bearings I’ve had from them

Always arrive within a couple of days and decent quality

At £45 an hour I’d be looking to do it myself – I taught myself (admittedly on aluminium frames) how to change bearings. I’ve since done carbon and provided you’re careful and take your time you should be OK

jakehinton
    Free Member

Kinetic bike bearings. Get the presses too and do it yourself? I suppose it depends on the frame but the eight bearings on my airdrop took around 30 minutes with the correct presses

doomanic

@jakehinton Kinetic was the first choice but they don’t have a set for my bike. I’ve been in contact with Trek today and got all the bearing sizes from them so I should be able to move on this next week.

Andy-R

BETD??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Frame Bearings – Where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.