Fractured scaphoid with bone graft and screw anyone?

Home Forum Bike Forum Fractured scaphoid with bone graft and screw anyone?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fractured scaphoid with bone graft and screw anyone?
  • rewski

Just wondered if anyone had the op and how long it took to get back on technical XC trails, managed to get away with a graft off my radial and not the pelvis.

ti_pin_man

Broke my scaphoid, and dislocated my wrist. 3 surgeries later… Herbert screw in there forever, was in a cast for 6 weeks, turbo trained a bit to keep fitness, sweaty cast is not great but they x-rayed the wrist so much they changed the cast 4 times so it wasn’t an issue. Was biking out doors about 8-10 weeks later after a bit of physio. Ride smooth road for first rides and see how sore you wrist is, I.e. Go steady until you get confidence back and build strength. Then listen to the pain, talk to the physio and work out when to ride off road again. The best thing I recall was two times the nurses called for doctors cos my resting heart rate was so low they were worried, made me laugh.. Was training and riding a lot then and a lot fitter! Lol.

Got the screw but not the bone graft. Took around 3 months all in, but I did have a broken collarbone as well, but I think the wrist took longer to heal.

rewski

Thanks for the advice, I’ve just had the cast off and in a rigid splint for 2 months. so I guess we’re looking like 3 months. I had a similar incident with the heart rate, just before surgery.

Mary Hinge

No surgery, but when I broke my scaphoid I had 13 weeks in plaster. Many years ago before any cycling, was into motorbikes then. I’d say it was about 2 years before I got decent mobility, strength and confidence back.

Even now, over 15 years later, still get the odd reminder pain.

Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear. You might be better having surgery, as it should be stronger quicker, and if you are not in a full cast too long, getting movement and physio early will be a big benefit.

Love Tubs

Just don’t compromise the healing process by returning to XC MTBing, the positions (esp) down-hill will definately put stress throught that area: turbo training (during healing phase) in an outstanding recommendation. Yes, physio to sort out the atrophy/ROM/tightness related issues from being in POP and then back to fun and games.

If you rush it, you can compromise the healing which for the scaphoid can take longer to ‘knit’ when compared to other boney structures.

Love Tubs

…return to MTBing too quickly I mean..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fractured scaphoid with bone graft and screw anyone?’ is closed to new replies.