Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fox X2 Climb switch
  • hainman
    Free Member

I seen that the new X2 will come with the climb switch fitted from factory and the switch will be available to buy separate
    Anyone feeling the need to buy it and change their original Set up or just leave as is,Mine is on a 2013 Reign and with the Meastro system I don’t notice it that much,
    Just curios what everyone thinks

bramblesummer
    Free Member

It was one of my ‘minus’ points when deciding to get the X2, but having run it for a good 6 months, I’m pleased to say I don’t miss the climb switch in the slightest. It’s now setup so well that pedal Bob is very limited (OK, DW Link on an HD3 might be helping here) and on tricky tech ascents the added traction is a bit of an eye opener. I’ve also not ended up hitting the climb switch, then ended up blowing so hard I forgot it was on and ended up a bit skittish in a big descent.

I’ve also taken the same view with the fork now, get it setup perfectly then leave it alone.

As for the CS upgrade, then at some point soon the X2 is headed into mojo for a good servicing. I’m actually pondering if I even bother asking how much the CS upgrade is as it’ll bring another faff element back into the bike. But then, if it’s only £50 or less then I’d consider it (I’ll be paying out for the service cost, and mojo usually chuck in any upgrades at parts cost only if they are doing a service). Either way, I’m certainly not rushing to get one fitted as the shock is so good in the first place.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m not surprised you don’t need it on a Reign or HD3 – both frames have plenty of anti-squat so should pedal with minimal bob unless you run a bigger than normal chainring. My Spitfire has a CCDBair with a climb switch and I don’t use that except when bored on tarmac climbs. Not all frames are like that though!

SirHC

Have an x2 on my 2015 Reign, previously had a monarch plus on there. Don’t miss the lock out at all, the extra traction/composure is night and day over the monarch. Typical rides are 20-30miles and 3000-5000ft of climbing.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I still remain curious if anyone has added the climb switch to their X2 yet? Dare we even ask how much Fox will charge for the pleasure!

singlespeedstu

My take on the CS on the X2 is that it acts more like a lockout than a CS.
    I’ve tried a CC DB air CS and an X2 CS on the same bike (Santacruz Hightower) and I only use the CS on the X2 for standing up on tarmac or fireroad climbs.
    It’s handy for that but I think I could manage fine without it. With the CC fitted the CS got used a lot more.

Dare we even ask how much Fox will charge for the pleasure!

I was told that it’s an easy home fit.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=664

Straightforward enough, but what’s the parts cost…?

singlespeedstu

I think I was told around £20. Though I did think that was a little low for anything from Fox so could well be wrong.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

If it’s that little then it’ll be a miracle! It’s generally a 3 figure minimum for anything damper/valve related. I’d fit one for £20 plus some red oil.

singlespeedstu

I know for sure that the price difference between the none CS and the CS vesion was only £20 when I bought mine.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Climb switch costs £120 to buy separately then you need the tooling to fit it.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

As above with what Rick said.

I’m sure Mojo were saying £199 inc a full service would be the upgrade cost. Pretty certain you have to strip it down and re-charge it with nitrogen after so not exactly a home DIY job

singlespeedstu

I’m sure Mojo were saying £199 inc a full service would be the upgrade cost.

Good job I paid the £20 extra for the prefitted CS then. 😆
    In fairness I think that the £20 and home fit was quoted to me by someone trying to get me to buy the none CS version…

bramblesummer
    Free Member

398-00-662 looks to be the only tool that can’t easily be worked around. A good pin spanner will get the damper out, a 14mm hex key with the chamfer ground off will get the base plate out. I’m sure a bit of filing on a cheap socket woul make that 662 tool quite nicely. It’s rare that you can’t effectively work around a special tool, especially with a very well equipped shed. Shame about a £120 parts price, that more or less cuts out me putting one in as I can easily live without at that cost.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

The link above confirms recharging with a shock pump is OK, so no need for nitrogen.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have done my own and have plenty more in stock.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Rick- I take it you’re affiliated with the trade or have a good connection to a source if you have more in stock? Care to divulge an STW special pricing scheme…?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fox X2 Climb switch’ is closed to new replies.