Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • FOX VAN RC SHOCK ON AN ORANGE 5
  • dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Sitting here daydreaming of ways to spend money!
    Whilst I quite like the RP23 shock, I’ve heard great things about putting a coil shock on an Orange 5.
    I reckon you’re all gonna say “Cane Creek Double Barrel” but at £600.00 it’s a non starter – there’s a recession don’t you know!
    Just to explain, I wouldn’t intend to run the coil shock all the time – use the RP23 for XC type bigger days and the coil for freeride stuff. Switch the 2 over depending on what I was doing.
    So then, would I be making a massive mistake in putting the basic VAN RC shock on it? Interested specifically in pedalability (that’s a new word for the English language)
    Cheers All!

LoCo
    Free Member

Very good have several customers running these on Fives.
    Well until the Duelers arrive in the shorter lengths 😉

messiah
    Free Member

One problem with replaceing an air shock with a coil shock is discovering how much better the coil shock feels… whether it’s worth the weight penalty ultimately depends on where and how you ride, your weightweenieness, and how “rad” you want to look (“nothing says look at me I’m rad like a coil”®).

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive just got one from Loco last weekend. Very happy with it – I havent noticed the additional weight at all. It climbs great with very little bob, Im using about +4 clicks of Low speed compression.

I have a Lyrik coil on the front too and combined the Five now handles my technical natural terrain perfect.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Just contacted Locotuning, the UK distributors and they reckon the Duelers in the shorter length should be here end of May. Strangely, they seemed to suggest the Van RC!
    Messiah – know what you mean. Guess if I put a coil shock on I better buy full racing kit and start using the words “dude” and “awesome” quite a lot. Perhaps I could camouflague the shock with some twigs or something.

LoCo
    Free Member

If you needed a shock now the Van RC would be best bet for a cheapish coil, after the Duelers arrive I’d obviously be suggesting the Dueler 😀

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Any comments on reliability of the Deuler LoCo? The Van RC is, I guess, proven.

LoCo
    Free Member

James one of the team DH riders ran one all season last year in senior class including a best result of 2nd at Rheola MIJ race, with no issues at all, checked air pressure twice, stripped and inspected it no wear or dirt ingress.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

got mine off the classifieds quite cheap and with a bargain price spring from CRC had a nearly new coil shock for my five for £200

the compression adjustment is recommended on the fives suspension, only problem is that you’ll quickly want a coil fork on the front to match!

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Just had a chat with my LBS which added some opinion. Advice was if I’m pedaling the bike between ‘freeridey’ bits then the Fox will pedal better than the Deuler as the Fox has propedal built in. As the Deuler has no pedal platform, it’s likely the 5 will bob more using that.
    …..mmmm – this is getting complicated

messiah
    Free Member

Are “Pro-Pedal” and “Boost valve” just gimmicks to make a one shock fit as many applications as possible… is a simpler (custom?) tuned shock a better alternative… discuss.

LoCo
    Free Member

The Van RC has a low speed compression circuit, which is a propedal assembly in it (similar to the older RP3 and 23 models) but which is bypassed depending on how far the compression adjuster is open or closed.

The Dueler has a low speed compression circuit which allows you to dial out pedal bob and other low speed compressions.

The Dueler is a as standard more active, however shimming can be done to adjust the shock to work differently depending on what is wanted
    from the unit.

Boost valves arn’t fitted to Fox coil shocks anymore, the low speed circuit in the Van Rc is better than what used to be fitted to the DHX’s. The RC4 has high and low compression adjustment in it’s own chamber.

The Boost valve system in the RP series of shocks is different to the boost valve that used to be fitted to DHX’s.
    It’s a devlopment on the older RP23 compression valving system. It does work rather well too.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

‘Tis a small world LoCo. My reference to my LBS above was a conversation with Rowan at Nirvana!

LoCo
    Free Member

Ha ha how is the old hippy 😆

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Still listening to bad heavy metal and still donning a bad hair-do but otherwise a great bloke!

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m not getting into the hair do thing he may have some old pictures of me 😀

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

I better get on the phone to Rowan and see what pics he’s got in the archives then eh!

andylux
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the actual weight difference is between an RP23 and Van R / RC in a trail bike size??

messiah
    Free Member

RP23 = 250g
    Van/DHX = 350g but you need a spring
    500# Spring = 500g or Ti Spring = 300g

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

According to Fox…

RP23 = 208 grams
    Van RC = 339 grams

Thought it would be more myself

andylux
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,

So with a steel spring the coil is nearly quadruple the weight of the air shock.

xiphon
    Free Member

dorkingtrailpixie – Member
    According to Fox…

RP23 = 208 grams
    Van RC = 339 grams

Inc. or ex. the spring?

Lummox

fitting a van r is the best thing i did on my five, cured the bottoming out issues i was having, the suspension feels bottomless and if i have used all the travel i haven’t noticed it, compared to the original rp23 which although light moved through it’s travel very easily despite having a firmer compression tune, smaller air chamber and pressure being almost max.

No Bob either as the model i have has a propedal setting.

As for the weight, well yeh it’s slightly noticable but the payback is great traction for climbing and amazing descending.

rs
    Free Member

Already been said before but I have the Van RC on a bullit, bobs like a rocking horse without any LSC, turn it up about half way though and its stable for seated climbing and still descends very nicely.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Well, picked up my shiny new Fox Van RC yesterday and took it out for a ride to how it was. Great stuff.

For anyone thinking of getting one, here’s my first observations…

Climbing: With a couple of low speed compression clicks, the bike doesn’t bob any worse than the RP23 so climbing is fine.

General Singletrack riding: No real noticeable difference.

Freeride/fast descents etc: Massive improvement. Back wheel now firmly planted on the ground rather than the ‘skippy’ back end I was used to. Rear braking is therefore much improved with better control of speed. I can ‘feel’ the back end of the bike much better. Landing off jumps is sooo plush and predictable.

So then, all positive. There is a weight penalty but I’m not sure I noticed it when in the saddle.

Cheers all!

carbon337
    Free Member

dtp – exactly what i found with mine.

Dont notice any weight penalty what so ever.

Also I’m now rad

xiphon
    Free Member

Got a Vanilla RC coil on a Patriot over here, and it rides much better than with the RP2 it replaced..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘FOX VAN RC SHOCK ON AN ORANGE 5’ is closed to new replies.