Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Fox Van RC Coil on a Transition Smuggler- yes you can :)
  • Alex

And why wouldn’t you. Make the plushest rear end of any bike I’ve ridden just that little bit better. This is the one that wouldn’t fit to my mate Adam’s scout. He posted about it a couple of weeks ago. Fits my L 2017 smuggler very nicely.

Feels amazing just riding it over some rough farm tracks in the fields by the house. Proper test tomorrow. Beast at C-Y-B. Expect bike will be ace, my fitness after knackering my ankle and riding 4 times this year so far, probably not so ace 😉

I’m aware of the parlous state of the fence. It’s on the list.

poah
    Free Member

you should get the push MX tune on it.  I had a van rc on a previous bike and it was amazing. given the leverage ratio of the trannie’s you may find you have to go up 50-100lb on the spring rate.

Alex

Ta. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow.  Jake at Sprung is my local shock fetter so I could hand it over to him.

geex
    Free Member

Why I wouldn’t is that I don’t personally think the smuggler has a progressive enough spring rate to work ideally with a coil. But if you value small bump sensitivity over progression fair enough.
    As Poah hints. If you’re an aggressive rider you will need to go up to a higher rate rear spring to avoid going deep into the travel too easily (and bottoming out).
    plusher is one thing but without support it’s not exactly always an upgrade.

Alex

Well we’ll see. It’ll be fun finding out.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Good stuff. My Scout was transformed by the DHX RC4 I fitted to it. The Monarch was rubbish.

stu1972
    Free Member

Agreed on the Monarch being rubbish on the Scout.

Torn between DBCoil IL or Fox DPX2

squealer
    Free Member

Stu – that’s my shock al has got that didn’t fit my scout and I’ve replaced it with a DB coil inline.

I’ll let you know what it feels like when I’ve ridden it.

seb84

what issues are people having with the monarch on the scout? Be interested to hear how the  db  coil feels on it.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Watching this closely too – thinking of trying to tune the Monarch RT on my 2017 Scout with some bands, but a new shock is a possibility too…

stu1972
    Free Member

@squealer

Great. Any feedback would be spot on 👍

chakaping
    Free Member

Well that’s good to know, though I’ll probably stick with the monarch on mine for a while when I get it built up.

I did hear about someone fitting a 200×57 shock with offset bushings (the wrong way) and an angle adjust headset to correct the geometry.

That would give 130mm or so travel and may be an option for the future.

survivor

All was going well until I scrolled down to see that awfull mudguard on the back………..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DB Inline coil on my 2018 Smuggler. Not built it yet mind!

transition1
    Free Member

I have a DB Coil IL with Ohlins Spring on my Smuggler the grip is immense &  not blown through the travel & am 90kg+ aggressive rider. Do have a stiffer spring, bought shock form TF who set it up. Have also tried it with 200×57 shock from my Vitus with offset bushes & angle headset. Coil is the best with 140 Ohlins forks upfront a very balanced & planted bike

Alex

see that awfull mudguard on the back………..

Awful AND effective 😉 I hate the thing, but I don’t have to look at it while riding!

Good to hear some feedback from actual experience. I don’t really understand spring rates at all, but I do know it felt amazing on the test ride. Will post some real thoughts when I’m back later.

stu1972
    Free Member

@transition1

Hmm, I’m 87-88kg suited and booted. What size spring are you using?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why would it not fit? I don’t know anyone who rides a Transition (Smugglers, Scouts and Patrols) that doesn’t have a piggyback shock and many run coils .

My mate has his Smuggler set up with a CCDB coil with longer stroke and eye to eye and offset bushings to compensate, 150mm forks and a -2 angleset. It’s very, very fast.

stu1972
    Free Member

All this talk of offset bushings and slacksets sounds interesting.

Wonder how much leeway it gives you from 190×51 on a Scout?

Alex

That was a fab day. I really liked the coil shock on all the damp rocks on the Beast trail. Definitely seemed more controlled than the Monarch. Think I bottomed it out once (on the drop on false teeth) but wound a tad more pre-load on for the look of the thing and carried on.

Didn’t touch the LSC or the rebound. Felt pretty good from Adam’s settings. Ended up with a few PRs on the descents and pretty close on the rest. Since they were set on my Mojo3 and Bird Aeris, I’m happy with that.

Little bit more bob on climbing but based on how south my fitness has gone since injuring myself, I’ll put some of that down to tired pedalling.

So for a bit of weight, seemed to get ‘bottomless travel’, super controlled rear end, loads of grip and a real balanced feeling between front and rear. Might be ‘new bit’ glasses but I’m definitely sticking with it.

geex
    Free Member

Cool. Glad you like it.

Try to avoid using excessive pre-load on coil shocks. It only takes away initial sensitivity. Better option would be to go up a spring rate (maybe even just by 25lb)

poah
    Free Member

preload only affects initial sensitivity – won’t do anything for bottoming out.  you should have any preload other than to hold the spring in place.

smokinsnakes
    Free Member

How was the 200 x 57? I’m thinking about going this route to increase the travel to 128mm. Any benefit?

I’m already running a 140mm Pike on the front so I’m guessing this will likely take me back to either 67.5* HTA or close to 68* which I’m fine with.

bigjim

saw one of these shocks for sale in smuggler size and was tempted…. would be keen to hear any further feedback!

teethgrinder

I have a 450lb x 2.25″ Ti coil if anyone needs one…

Alex

Well I think it’s great. Obviously 👍

transition1
    Free Member

“How was the 200 x 57? I’m thinking about going this route to increase the travel to 128mm. Any benefit?”

When I ran the longer 200×57 shock with offset bushings it wasn’t for long enough. 2 short local rides. I had been off the bike for a bit, it was also a Rockshox Monarch RCT3, not as good as my now DBIL Coil shock.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

thread resurrection! updates?

chakaping
    Free Member

I ran a ccdb air on mine for a bit and it was amazeballs – no need for a coil it was so plush and capable.

Bike’s gone and I still have shock if anyone’s interested in a lightly used, reasonably priced 190×50?

Vortexracing

chakaping, was yours a scout or sumggler?

chakaping
    Free Member

Smuggler 2017

Vortexracing

Mmmmmm, go on then tempt me
    May be interested

Mail me on eastham8 at aol dot com please with a price

chakaping
    Free Member

Will do mate, just away from home at the moment.

Vortexracing

no rush

ta

raybanwomble
    Free Member

preload only affects initial sensitivity – won’t do anything for bottoming out. you should have any preload other than to hold the spring in place.

Wrong.

It would only not increase bottom out resistance if the coil was going to full bind without any preload – which of course it won’t be – even with preload added.

Preload shifts the entire force graph up the y-axis, instead of steepening the curve like an alteration to spring rate does.

chakaping
    Free Member

Emailed you Dave. Let me know if not received

Vortexracing

yip, got the email, just about to mail you back.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Fox Van RC Coil on a Transition Smuggler- yes you can :)’ is closed to new replies.