• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fox stanchion wear!!
  • jtaylor2105
    Free Member

I’m having a major problem with my fox forks with stanchion wear and was looking and getting them repaired got the normal quotes of over the 300 mark, but then stumbled across a company called pedalworx.

They quote on there website that they can repair the wear and service the forks to look and feel like new. Has anybody dealt with them or had the repair done??

If so what are the repairs like and what is normal time frame for them having the forks?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hmmmm
    Essex

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

Yea that’s the one I think!!

letmetalktomark

Ask them if they can show examples of the work they have previously done.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure it will look very shiny once done. How long will it last is the question. Probably not very long.

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

There is a few pics of mid work on there website here is the link!

http://pedal-worx.co.uk/fork_repair.html

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

Tbh it looks quite cheap compared to other companies and could do with a fix till I can afford new ones

iolo
    Free Member

70 quid on a service they cannot provide a guarantee on.
    Good luck with that.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I’d not bother.

Rickos
    Free Member

For the cost of a service from the majors, it’s worth a shot to keep you running for a while longer.

robdob
    Free Member

Sounds like a pro job of what I’ve always done which is fill in the scratch with clear nail varnish or Araldite then sand back using fine wet and dry until flush. Has worked fine for years for me, I’d give it a go!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im guessing its basically colour matching with nail varnish and building layers up before a final polish?
    They do say its only small nicks that they can really fix well.
    Not great big scored patches on some forks that have been run dry.

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

Right so proper mixed reveiws here now!! The guy still hasn’t bothered to email me back as of yet anyway, so I’m stuck should I just service my forks as people have previously said and just hope they last till I can afford a new set of forks??

letmetalktomark

Right so proper mixed reveiws[b]thoughts[/b] here now!

😉

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

Haha my bad!! Thanks for correction lol

cookeaa

70 quid on a service they cannot provide a guarantee on.
    Good luck with that.

Or looking at it another way £70 for a no-guarantees fix Vs ~£300 for a whole new CSU, which will have the same shonky wear prone finish anyway….

I’d either pay the £70 or simply DIY with araldite, and accept the slightly but bollox to throwing another £300 away with Fox… IMO.

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

That is true I don’t trust myself to do it but would happily send it in to someone who could fix it at a price that is reasonable compared to forking out for a new set or a csu unit!!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Post a pic up of your fork stanchions..
    If its wear and not scratches then I’d personally write them off.. How can anybody fix worn stanchions..precision is history.

superfli
    Free Member

Pay £70 to have them repaired and serviced, then flog em and buy anything but Fox 8)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

For the cost of a service from the majors

Do regular lowers services yourself, its a doddle and doesnt take very long (loads of guides on the net).

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-service-the-seals-on-your-fox-32-fork-25020/

And dont bother with Fox Float fluid on the foam wipers, even Fox have finally realised its pointless as it immediately gets diluted/flushed out by the oil bath.
    Ride forks to destruction (probably much longer than you think).
    Spend the £300 you didnt spend on new a CSU on new forks (my Revelations were less than £300 new and came with a free headset, and stanchions not made of cheese).

Even Loco has given this advice on similar threads and he puts food on the table by servicing/fixing forks.

LoCo
    Free Member

What do they do about the lower leg bushings? they’ll also be worn and have dirt ingrained into the bearing service 😕
    Could send them to that other bloke that changes individual stantions by beating them out of the csu, with only minimal damge apparantly 😯
    😀

Lower leg service and run them till they die, then get some new forks or replace csu with kashima one at around £300 for either.

Pictures of damage would be good too as if really small, you can smooth off rough edges and fill with a little nail varnish to smooth, bad wear not any point in trying to sort really.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Lower leg service and run them till they die,

told you 🙂

jtaylor2105
    Free Member

Yea I sent pedalworx the pics of my stanchions and he has said that they are dead!! So think ill just have to service them myself ride them till they die as I really cannot afford new forks just yet!!

They have got very bad wear to them and it goes right around the stanchion only on the air side!!

zelak999
    Free Member

Sounds dodgy as ****!
    I’d put the £70 towards a new set of forks when the time comes!

iolo
    Free Member

zelak999 – Member
    Sounds dodgy as ****!
    I’d put the £70 towards a new set of forks when the time comes!

+ 10000

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fox stanchion wear!!’ is closed to new replies.