• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox Mainframe helmet review – MIPS on a budget
  • stwhannah

Want a helmet with MIPS but want to keep costs down? The Fox Mainframe does all that it needs to, and does it well.

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Fox Mainframe helmet review – MIPS on a budget

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

a11y

Ooooh it comes in fluoro yellow – might be good replacement for my ancient Fox Flux commuting helmet. I’ve had no luck so far finding a comfy (for me) replacement in a suitably bright colour.

weeksy

Not if you’ve got a lumpy boney bit on the back of your head

crumpsbutts
    Free Member

£45 at Tredz with code right now, just ordered one. Quite eager to switch from my Giro Fixture MIPS because although it fits well as a one-size helmet, it’s disproportionately large in relation to my head.

roger_mellie

Thanks for the review. Looks pretty gopping to my eyes though.

BillOddie

Just bought my eldest son on of those and he seems very happy with it because

a) Fox are cool.

b) it’s the best blue.

Can’t argue with that logic to be honest.

andyspaceman

Been running with the spendier Fox Speedframe helmet for the past three or four months. It really is one of the comfiest helmets I’ve had in >25 years of riding. If this is a similar fit then it should be good.

Agree with the downside of lack of options for helmet light mounting though. The panels in the top of the helmet are all so wide, none of the rubber straps on my lights are long enough. Looking out for a light mount with a longer bit of velcro or similar.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

you can get 10 of these (from tredz) for the price of one pair of POC dungarees!

stwhannah

@howsyourdad1 Handy if you’re the Hydra. For my next test: breath mints.

rickon
    Free Member

2022 – helmets still with loads of exposed EPS.

BillOddie

For a helmet mount, I bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384661383346?hash=item598f9ae8b2:g:JRYAAOSwa81aH3oB

Cut the elastic straps off and then used 2 velcro straps from my “big bag of velcro straps” and ran them round the 2 errr “not the middle” sections.

Seems to work well and not uncomfortable, probably stops MIPS working as intended unless you run the straps between the MIPS and foam.

a11y

Bought one of these on the back of this post. Either my head’s shrunk or Fox’s sizing has changed – utterly huge in size L compared to my current size L Fox Flux, both having the same size range. Adjustment harness wound right in and still loose with the actual shell being a long way from my dome.

Returned. Shame as it’s a lovely helmet, even comes with full set of spare pads. Might try a medium but going on previous I expect it’d be too small.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox Mainframe helmet review – MIPS on a budget’ is closed to new replies.