Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Fox forks = poo poo?
  • jairaj

Because its more likely you’ll do something you want to if you get paid to do it.

Also the pros often have different internals to the after market products. Not just new prototype stuff but they will modify dampers to their liking etc. Similar to some of the DH and XC racers will have custom geometry bikes built by their sponsors.

People have also run other branded forks with their sponsors’ logos on them but I think that was a long time ago don’t think people are doing this now.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

Not really. Unless marz only sponsor riders who case everything, and the fox and RS riders are faultless, then it seems a very good test ground for kit comparison. Everything is pretty equal, all riders are riding nutcase grade trails. 3 sets of marz broke. No Fox or RS forks broke

No other forks broke in competition runs. But then those 2 were the biggest crashes I can remember on the day, you need to look at breakages per mad crash rather than breakages per run. Gee Atherton bent a set of 40s in practice that year, though, Sorge broke a set of Boxxer lowers last time then went on to win on the replacements, and that’s just what you hear about- things off camera don’t get the same coverage (wasn’t there some boy doing barspins with 66s last year?)

kimbers

the big difference with pros/ industry types is that they have mechanics/workshops that will do all the set-up/ servicing

even the older crank brothers mallets were favoured by peaty, minaar, the athertons etc despite being sponsored by shimano for other bits
    because the mallets are the best functioning dh pedals out there-if you have someone to change the bearings for you every time you get a bit of play

kust look at the alpine 160/650b thread for what the guy at mojo was able to do to his shock just to get bigger wheels on

jameso

It’s not worth much, but my experience with mag/demo bike stocks from loads of brands is that the Fox forks are the needy-est and get sticky or generally feel crap the soonest, but you don’t buy Fox as a fit+forget option anyway.

But it’s all fairly irrelevant to me. Even if I could get trade price, £800 or more RRP forks have zero appeal. I had Z1s bitd and they spoiled me, now the idea of servicing a fork every 20-30hrs (ie almost weekly, at times) is a bit off-putting – but fine for 5hrs use a week when performance is a priority (and if you feel that you get that from the fork).

mindmap3
    Free Member

The old Marzocchis were ace. They needed little attention and were so easy to pull apart and sort yourself. I’msstill running a pair of 2004 Z1 Freerides and they ace. Stiff enough in the BFe and plush enough for mucking about on.

As I said my 36’s are still going strong and seem to work well in the Peaks as well as the dreaded trail centre although what that has to do with anything, I’m not sure. I do blame Fox for the crazy prices we have today…before the 36 was issued (and sold well) top end forks were around the £500 mark which is still a chunk of cash but a grand is just silly. It almost seems as though the likes of Marzocchi and Rock Shox saw what Fox were charging and thought they’d get in on the act (not that I’m cynical).

All forks suffer from problems and the net does allow them to be blown out of proportion. There are also a lot of bikes out there that don’t get looked after which I’m sure adds to this, especially when Fox are a poor OE choice.

nonk
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I must have serviced 20+ sets of Fox forks this year (I’ve done 3 this week). I’ve probably seen the inside of more forks in general than all but the Big Boys like Loco and TFTuned.

You don’t have talk some toss these days Peter
    I work for a fairly busy retailer and will have done at least 60 forks this year and sure as hell don’t consider myself the font of all knowledge .

pinhead
    Free Member

Because its more likely you’ll do something you want to if you get paid to do it.

Yep

jamj1974

I think almost all fork prices are a bit too much these days… X-Fusion would be an obvious exception.

However, never had a problem with early Fox forks (2002 Float RLC’s – 5 years and 2003 Vanilla RLC’s –
    8 years.), when both only had a full service every 2 years. Maybe Fox have for worse durability wise…? That said I didn’t have an issue with Specialized E150SL forks for 5 years and most people didn’t rate them for durability or performance.

Only fork I have had durability issues with is the AMP F3XC back in about 1996/1997.

matther01
    Free Member

It would be interesting to see the profit margins (minus r+d costs for future interations of forks). I imagine mojo and the like also pay a percentage to fox for the servicing of the forks too.

eshershore
    Free Member

did too much fork and shock servicing in one of my old jobs, typically 6-8 “lowers service” every week, upgrading forks to SKF seals and lots of fork conversions like Talas to Float

owned lots of RS, Marz and Fox forks (32,36 and 40 models). Found Fox forks worked well but required more looking after.

Only problem really with Fox is their tendency to develop annoying clicking / creaking noises after a season or two of regular use in wet climates where regular bike washing causes the stanchion assembly grease to leache out of the stanchion / crown fitment.

it won’t cause any safety issues, but its damn annoying and is often mistaken for steerer tube or headset issues

Mojo will replace the CSU free of charge, if this occurs within 1 year of purchase, but after the 1 year warranty runs out, nothing you can do but buy a new CSU which is kinda expensive even for a cheaper 32 model

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Fox forks = poo poo?’ is closed to new replies.