Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Fox Forks how do you like yours?
  • bikeind
    Free Member

Given that these forks are the best on the market

Which forks are you running on your bikes?

We in the shop are all running the new Fox range and loving them

jam-bo

reliable.

so I buy rockshox instead.

stcolin
    Free Member

2009 Vanilla RL 140mm QR. Still going strong.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Love mine, cos

a) I can be bothered to look after them
    b) see a.

dlocki
    Free Member

Im running an old 06 set of 36 van rc2’s, well sort of.

There on there 3rd set of stanctions as the first 2 came unbonded and started creaking. this took us up to 09.

The damping cartride ate itself early in 09 so had a new cartridge under warrenty.

I had the cartride custom valved the year later.

The years inbetween 2010 an now i found motocross. when you look at the current prices i find it hard to justify buying s new set when the ones i have work so well. there is always the second hand option but with the problems ive had with mine – i fell this might be a risky game.

I like my forks with not much low speed compression but then quite firm on the high speed – something i can do with the rc2’s. not something you can do with a modern RLC or CTD without some serious internal messing?

There are also a doddle to strip and rebuild, i can have the full fork, cartride stripped cleaned, oiled n bled up in less than an hour

thepurist

I like mine 2nd hand so they’re not stupidly expensive and serviced by me so I can lavish care and attention on them every other mile as dictated by the service intervals.

EDIT

and

Is quite a big assumption isn’t it?

kiwijohn

Just got rid of my Foxs for some new Pikes. So much better.

chrismac

Fox 32s 140 RLC because thats what came on the bike.

tops5
    Free Member

Bikeind is clearly a troll

@ Kiwijohn – where d’you get em mate? How much?

ratherbeintobago

We in the shop are all running the new Fox range and loving them

Do they really bring the trail alive?

Klunk
    Free Member

2 * 2007 TALAS RLC, they’ve been fantastic, the odd DIY service.

wrecker
    Free Member

Like mine, but wouldn’t buy again. Too ‘spensive.
    After the Revs I had, I don’t think I’d be rushing towards Rockshox either.
    Marz next perhaps? Xfusion looking good and DVO could deliver. More choice is good.

traildog
    Free Member

I’d like mine in a 34mm stantion with a 20mm bolt-thru and better damping thanks.

fenred
    Free Member

Do they really bring the trail alive?

Only if mated to 650b wheeeeeeels 😆

pjm84
    Free Member

Lefties and Rockshox.

Paid extra to avoid the Fox fork.

kimbers

If they came speccd on a new bike I wouldnt mind (although Dirt have been really slagging off 2013 and to a lesser extent 2014s)

but theres no way Id pay full RRP on them absolute rip off, did everyone in the shop pay full price?

Ive got some 2006 RLC floats still going strong but they have required a lot of maintenence and the stanchions are looking somewhat battered
    but ive also got some 2010 marzocchi RC3tis and they are waaay better,
    my 2007 marzocchi 66 rc2s are also pretty darn amazing, and Ive only had to change the seals once and after dh races, uplifts, megavalanches weeks in the alps they look and perform much better than the fox ones

not ridden the newer fox stuff but Id take marzocchi or RS over them every time for price and reliability

out of 70 fox forx that Mojo sell only 2 of them are less than 700 quid
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/foxforx.html

(I like fox rear shocks tho)

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

06 Talas RC2 converted to Float internals. Still work. Still get serviced. Still too many knobs to notice any changes i make.

khani
    Free Member

Rockshockings should be sold in Toys R us….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Still wee’ing the shop you filthy little bugger.
    Do us a flavour and go find a hobby eh…..

kiwijohn

@ Kiwijohn – where d’you get em mate? How much?

LBS for about $1000 for dual positions.

richmtbguru
    Free Member

I always recommend fox forks to all my clients, it also teaches them to learn how to maintain their forks, this is good practice especially when they take my stage two course which consists of alpine riding where being caught out by failing forks can be costly, a good service every 15 hours is essential and not very hard to do, quick seal check/clean and a change of oil really shouldn’t be hard to do for a premium fork, I show riders how they can complete this task in less than 15mins. 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

been running my 36 van for ages now with no issues, although they are sprung a little on the light side so looking to swap to the heavy spring

boxxer7
    Free Member

Having owned a set of 36 Float with kashima and most recently a pair of 34 Talas that were fitted to the bike I bought, I cant stand fox forks, both forks suffered from the same problems, wallowy under breaking not enough small bump give and never used all their travel.

TBH I dont think I would ever stump up for a new set! you dont even get a shock pump FGS!!

Last set of 55 Rc3 Ti were fantastic shame they were 170mm or i would probably still have them. Just got my hands on a new set of Pikes which so far are fantastic they seem to be the perfect fork so far, time will tell.

That said the Fox float CTD on the rear is great!

richmtbguru
    Free Member

but theres no way Id pay full RRP on them absolute rip off, did everyone in the shop pay full price?

Premium price for premium goods, isn’t that how it is? :roll:Why would you want to settle for second best when you can have the cream for just a little bit more.

Northwind

I like mine sold to someone else- flexy and divey, just not suitable for hard use.

bikeind
    Free Member

Both positive and non here
    No problems ever with mine as I always look after them by regular services

And I seem to be getting a but if grief for the 650b scenario but come on!!

We work in bike shops so yes cheaper but also our wages are not that great !!!

Loving my 34’s on the 29er

matther01
    Free Member

Like my 32 rlc fit floats….but not keen on my 32 talas.

Would like a decent set of 140mm forks. Just wish they would release 140mm pikes for 26″.

khani
    Free Member

Do us a flavour and go find a hobby eh

😀 touchy…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got to be the 40’s nothing else works as well up a trolls jacksie

Junkyard
    Free Member

OP I would ask you to try harder But I doubt you can

a good service every 15 hours is essential and not very hard to do

Every fortnight?

Dont care how quick I can do it how shitty is the product that you cannot last more than 15 hours without replacing all the oil
    What do you do in a 24 hour race?

officialtob
    Free Member

Dont care how quick I can do it how shitty is the product that you cannot last more than 15 hours without replacing all the oil

+1

You pay for a ‘premium’ product, and have to spend half your life servicing them… I don’t think so!

FWIW, I’ve had a set of Bombers since 2002…and they haven’t had a single service. Granted they are probably knackered inside now, but they still perform adequately enough for me. Just.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a good service every 15 hours is essential and not very hard to do
    Every fortnight?

A good service once a fortnight, chance would be a fine thing….

I assume service intervals are lower on the 650’s as the trial is literally coming alive all over them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

bikeind – Member

Yes ohhh yes today a customer came in to my shop and after a chat and me doing my usual sales pitch referred to me as a typical LBS owner with refrence to being a snob and walked out!

Huh
    Typical is it ?
    Posted 2 months ago # Report-Post

Customer’s are sometimes right….

rocketman
    Free Member

roverpig

I thought the 2012 Float RL Evolution jobs that came on my Trance were OK. Nothing sparkling, but they did the job and never let me down. The 2013 CTD Evolution forks that I had on a demo bike on the other hand were truly awful. In trail mode they made my wrists ache but descend was unusable. Even a mincer like me could blow through the travel without trying (with 25% sag). Funnily enough I’m still considering a bike with 2013 CTD forks at the moment, but only because they are the Factory Kashima version (with trail adjust) and Simon at LoCo tells me he can upgrade the damper to the 2014 version.

Best forks I’ve tried (which admittedly isn’t many) are the Dual Air Rev RCT3s fitted to my FF29.

scottalej
    Free Member

‘Given that these forks are the best on the market’
    According to who? Even pro Fox MBR have been complaining about the latest offerings. Choose between supple and excessive fork dive or harsh ride and restricted travel. Worn CSU’s seem to be a common complaint. 32mm versions are flexy compared to the competition. No reliability testing appears to be done by Fox, it’s left to the customer and the service centres to sort out under warranty.

‘Which forks are you running on your bikes?’
    Rockshox. Minimal maintenence. Fantastic reliability. Well over 2000 miles with nothing but lower oil changes. Never had a leak, never changed a seal.
    Unfortunately my Trek Rumblefish 29er came with a F120 RLC. It’s been to Mojo 3 times and still doesn’t perform as well as my older Revelation forks.

Euro
    Free Member

bikeind + richmtbguru are the same person. I am miss Marple.

chives
    Free Member

2011 120mm Rockshox SIDs (easy to service and light) and ’07 32mm Fox Talas (new ‘old stock’ in 2012) that are about to be experimented with – I’m going to try a significantly lower pressure in the IFP chamber in the hope the increase in main chamber volume will prop up the fork in the mid-stroke.

SIDs been serviced twice in 2500 miles, Talas at 700 miles, (re-sprayed and new SKF seals).

Wouldn’t have bought the Talas unless they’d been at the price they were (less than £200 delivered – ex OEM).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scottalej – Member – Quote
    ‘Given that these forks are the best on the market’
    According to who?

A very obvious troll who seems to be lobbing in stuff when he’s bored of selling come alive 650b’s to everyone. Seriously you can hear the bridge echo in the post.

richmtbguru
    Free Member

Euro- because I too believe in a great product that works well, but far too many riders are too lazy to take the time to service them which is only a 15 min job done right, this is something I teach in one of my courses, you’d be surprised how many people say “if only i’d have known how easy it was” done properly fox forks are the most reliable out there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Fox Forks how do you like yours?’ is closed to new replies.