Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fox Forks alternative??
  • p7rich
    Free Member

Dare l ask if there’s such a thing as a credible alternative to the default option Fox fork?

I’m after a replacement for my dodgy 2yr old Rock Shox Tora 302s on my Orange P7. I wanted something basic but capable and something like 32mm Fox Vanillas would havd been great. The Vanillas are no longer available and l can’t for the life of me fathom the Rock Shox, etc ranges! This leaves me looking for alternatives and i’m after your recommendations for anything with 120-140mm travel and is a good all-rounder, i.e. is lightish, but can take knocks resulting from my lack of finesse on the trails. Oh, and there they’re black then even better 😉

So, what can you tell me??

thejesmonddingo

Get some Revelations,they fit all your criteria,with the ability to adjust travel with spacers.

loddrik
    Free Member

+1

Jeffus
    Free Member

Revs as said 20mm maxle , I had some on my P7 they suited perfectly, some 140mm dual air did the job.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’d just go for 2nd hand Fox Vanillas. I’d only ever buy Fox after several other forks of equal price didn’t perform anything like as well as what I have now – Fox Talas 140mm. Yes I had the others set up right etc.

Ebay is your best bet, good luck.

solar
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at x-fusion velvets. Not much to go on here but lots of positive reports on other forums. Very good price by the looks of it too.

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas. Rev’s look interesting but don’t have the ‘fit and forget’ attractiveness of the Van’s, i.e. too much fiddly adjustability.

Please keep the suggestions coming… 🙂

Jeffus
    Free Member

I bought my Revs new set the pressures and never touched them again for 9 months, never missed a beat, they are now on my wifes Heckler still plodding on 18 months later , I checked air pressures two weeks back and they where still spot on.

Mackem

I’ve got Rockshox Sektors on my P7 and they are excellent.

They are far far better than they should be for the price, so dont think of them as a “cheap” fork.

toys19
    Free Member

wtf I had to double check, why on earth have fox stopped making a 32mm 140 travel coil fork? Madness I tell you, madness!

Ok over reaction but it does seem a bit unfortunate..

Jeffus
    Free Member

Seems like they are making a 34mm 29er fork, now a 150mm 34m 20mm axle 26″ would be a nice fork.

p7rich
    Free Member

I like the sound of the X Fusions. Could fill the hole left by the outbound Van’s. Has anyone here used them???

jonnyrockymountain

I have some 140mm fox vanila rlc 2010 for sale ex cond if anyone interested email in my profile

bellerophon
    Free Member

I’ve got Revs my friend has Sektors, both are v good forks and didn’t take much setting up at all.

Maybe it doesn’t apply to the Vans, but the service schedule of Fox forks would put me off.

robsoctane
    Free Member

as far as Fox servicing goes, here’s a trick – buy enduro upgrade seals & you’ll not need to touch them for around a year or so. I’ve got them on my talas’s & they’re well worth £25. THE best upgrade per buck for Fox forks. They come in matching blue too so they look well trick, if that’s your thing…

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEIQgwgwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rushcycles.co.uk%2Fproducts.php%3Fplid%3Dm49b163s483p3756%26rs%3Dgb&ei=AZfATdWhNISHhQf1__XABQ&usg=AFQjCNF-Z_lMEGKYFfedDw2KgLHGiBvXrw

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m going to say secktors. Excellent forks for the money and coil simplicity

retro83
    Free Member

Revs. The 2011 are really good, far better than the older ones. I think they are better than my Push’d coil Pikes too. £300 from Merlin too when they are back in stock.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I love my Revs, 140 dual air is so adjustable; but only if you you want to. It’s like having 3-4 different forks, especially if you get U-turns.

They come up on the classifieds a fair bit too, take a peek at the steerer internal diameter from beneath if you get a chance. Pinky snug at the crown!

mafiafish
    Free Member

I have 2010 rev teams and they’re great but I’d be very interested in trying some marzocchi 44s. Fed up of faffing with pressures.

bellerophon
    Free Member

as far as Fox servicing goes, here’s a trick – buy enduro upgrade seals ……

Yep that’s defo a solution, however given that I don’t have to do that with other forks, it seems a bit much to have to do that with fox forks given their price

chiefgrooveguru

Rich, I was looking at the coil U-turn Sektors until I happened upon some cheap Fox Floats. However, despite the apparently complexity of the dual air Rockshox forks, they’re set and forget, so don’t let that put you off. I had the same confusion with the Rockshox range, it’s ridiculously overcomplicated!

beanieripper
    Free Member

never touched the pressures on my revs for about a year..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fox Forks alternative??’ is closed to new replies.