Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • fox fork setup , 32 rlc advice
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I have had these forks for a while and have always struggled to get any small bump sensitivity from them.
    Theiy are fitted to my turner 5 spot . I have set the sag to 25% and have played around 5psi either way.
    Rebound is set approx half way and i use 2 clicks of l/s compression.I have also played with these settings either way. The forks are the kashima , fit catridgr version which have just been rebuilt under warranty and I was considering whether to refit or replace them with a coil sprung fork.
    Do I need more sag and then add more compression ? Or do they not do small bump.
    I weigh approx 12 stone if that helps.

Trimix
    Free Member

Change the compression and put less air in them. Less air will make them softer, more compression will stop them diving. Sounds like your doing the right thing – make sure you dont have too much stiction – oil the rings.

But it depends on what you expect TBH, forks wont give you a magic carpet ride, you will feel stuff. Have you compared yours to someone elses ?

Shorty121
    Free Member

New?

Shorty121
    Free Member

If they are new then it may take some time for the seals to bed in

bigdan6
    Free Member

Slow your rebound down a little (try 3-5 clicks from fully slow). Running halfway through the clicks may be too fast and cause the fork to pogo stick, causing discomfort and poor tracking which will encourage you to grip harder thus compounding the problem.

I had the same problem as you and this was the advice from mojo

lucien

I have the same forks, and have been fitted to a variety of different frames since 2008. They have been regularly serviced etc over the period and I’ve now reached the conclusion that they are not that good over small bumps. I have the compression set to quite a high level so that I get a quick response (which is how I like them) but have to really work the fork to get traction over fast bumpy terrain – to compensate tend to run a bit more sag on the rear. This is not ideal, but having lived with the fork for a while, it’s the best I can find for my sort of riding preference.

By way of contrast I have some cheaper RS coils on a HT and they ride very, very differently

Kryton57

FWIW I’m just a tad heavier than you. I run my LS compression exactly half way (4 clicks in), my pressure at 70psi and my rebound 4 clicks from fully on.

My fork sits up nicely, doesnt stall or ramp, and feels nice and comfy.

I would point out that in the current conditions I’m only using 90mm of 120 avaialble travel so could run softer.

Kryton57

lucien – Member
    I have the same forks, and have been fitted to a variety of different frames since 2008.

No you don’t – 2008’s don’t have a FIT cartridge – the “feel” is very different.

jimr80
    Free Member

Their not new, 10 months old so no stichon plus regular seal service . Full service, bushings and complete uppers under warranty. I haven’t recurred as of yet to keep my option open.
    I shall probably refit and try again and get them dailed.
    Regards lowering the psi I run them at 55psi at the moment so even a small adjustment makes quite a diference regards sag.

lucien

Thanks Kryton

70psi…mmmmm – My 2008’s have 95psi in and I’m lighter than both of you

Kryton57

Its a different fork though Lucien, go with the setup otherwise you are not comparing apples with apples….

If you (@Jim) go onto Mojo’s website and look at the setup guide videos it explains how the settngs affect the bike. I found the compression setup useful as a found (a different for/bike) my bike was hard to pedal around. Turns out the LSC was too low so the bike just “stalled” in the dips, with the fork diving and robbing me of forward momentum.

Kryton57

Jim, with your minimal compression setting and “fast” rebound, your fork will be moving up and down a lot, probably giving you a bumpy feeling through the bars.

Try 2 more clicks on the compression (stops is moving “up” so fast) and say, 4 clicks of rebound back from full a la my setup (stops it springing “down” so fast). Leave the sag at 25%.

Just try it and ride it, you may be surprised.

jimr80
    Free Member

Kryton ,
    thanks for the advise . i’ll have it all back together this week and try what you have suggested.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have a look at the setup guide with the problem solver section at the bottom of each setup page/section:

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

jimr80
    Free Member

Loco,
    Thanks for the link, i have read that before on you site. I understand the effects of rebound and compresion setting , but to translate that into how the fork feel when riding and the correct way to go about correcting are alluding me with these forks. I have another set of fox rl 140 fit on my hard tail which i seem to have working fine.
    So once i have set the sag do i then need to get the rebound sorted whilst keeping the compression to its lowest setting. Then play with the compression until i find whats right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘fox fork setup , 32 rlc advice’ is closed to new replies.