Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox Fork – but which one?
  • spudnick
    Free Member

when i picked up my shop built Ragley Blue Pig i was told it had 140 RL fox float forks and i had no reason to not beleave them. Although, Ive just measured the stancions and they measure 150mm. Am i missing something or was i mis-sold the forks? im not unhappy in anyway but just abit confuesed

Thanks
    Nick

spudnick
    Free Member

forgot to ask if there was any way of finding out by serial number etc

nuke

I queried this once with some Fox forks and was told to do this…

-Set the fork to 75psi and fit a small cable tie around the leg and push it against the seal.

-Let the air out of the fork and compress the fork to bottom out making sure the cable tie is tight enough to remain up the leg.

-Re-inflate the fork to 75psi

-Measure from the top of the seal to the cable tie to ascertain the travel of the fork.

-Reset the pressure to the required amount for his weight and REMOVE THE CABLE TIE before riding the bike.

From this, I learnt they were the right length travel and that I was a numpty

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    evanssuspension
    Free Member

From memory a 140mm Fox fork will measure about 145ish on the exposed stanchion but if the fork has a lot of air pressure in it then this can give you a bigger measurement as the higher the pressure the more the negative spring will be compressed thus showing more stanchion.
    Or maybe just call the shop and i’m sure they’ll clarify.
    Hope this helps

faz083
    Free Member

cable tie maloney above sounds a bit dodgy – how do you propose removing a cable tie from the stanchions which is on tight enough to hold them up, without scratching them like crazy?

spudnick
    Free Member

cheers for the info. am running 65psi at the moe but it makes sense (just about) that the more pressure added the more stanchion will be on show.

nick

nuke

cable tie maloney above sounds a bit dodgy – how do you propose removing a cable tie from the stanchions which is on tight enough to hold them up, without scratching them like crazy?

The cable tie does not have to be done up tightly to stay up. It said ‘tight enough’ and ‘tight enough’ is actually pretty loose…it’s very easy to remove them without scratching them.

DanW
    Free Member

My FIT RLC 100’s with 100mm travel have just under 110mm of stancion showing. I didn’t notice this until I took them apart for the first time to re-lube the foam rings and worried I’d put them back together wrong somehow! Seems to be the norm for fox… maybe to stop the crown bottoming out on the seals???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox Fork – but which one?’ is closed to new replies.