Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox float x2 evol lockout
  • scuff321
    Free Member

The new bike I’ve ordered has this shock fitted and but never thought about lockout as I had Fox float x on my old bike which did lock out which was handy on long climbs

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

The new bike I’ve ordered has this shock fitted and but never thought about lockout as I had Fox float x on my old bike which did lock out which was handy on long climbs

Is there something missing from the post or did you just want to let us know?

If your question does a lack of lockout matter, then my answer is no I’ve never wanted it back since switching to the X2, but I guess it depends on the bike and how bobby it is

RickDraper
    Free Member

The X2 will get a lockout lever shortly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuff321
    Free Member

Bob that was my question, but reading on a little about 4 way adjustment must be a matter of tuning it, so you think it’s a good shock? Bike is a capra cf pro race, not had it yet so just doing bit more research into components

scuff321
    Free Member

Is the guide that comes with it helpful as I’m no nurd only got rough idea so need a starting point

lungman

As will all really adjustable shocks it’s very good once set up correctly. The guide its comes with is not too helpful but the suggested settings are close. Try the cane creek field guide its far better and explains each step to adjust the shock to how YOU want it and that’s the joy of these. Best of luck

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

No, not really, it’s not like cane creeks one. I think tf or mojo will give you starting points on tune. But you do need to play to find out what works for you and your bike.

Edit beaten to it, I’m agreeing with this chap above me!

scuff321
    Free Member

Thanks a lot I’ll look at cane creeks website

hainman
    Free Member

Mynamesnotbob how much does your shock Bob when climbing?i have set sag correct but on bigger climbs mine seems to sit about half way into the travel,
    have you adjusted any of the compresion/rebound to combat this,I’m still trying to get mine dialled think i basically went with the stock setting from the book but still doesn’t feel quite right

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Scott dont bother with the cane creek lockout shocks, they are no where near as well damped as the X2. They removed the rebound shim stack and just relied on the low and high speed ports for the CS series, or something to that effect.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Mynamesnotbob how much does your shock Bob when climbing?i have set sag correct but on bigger climbs mine seems to sit about half way into the travel,
    have you adjusted any of the compresion/rebound to combat this,I’m still trying to get mine dialled think i basically went with the stock setting from the book but still doesn’t feel quite right

Yep, it’s far to say the shock moves around in it’s travel compared to the DBinline. I remember setting it up initially for sag and it was near impossible to get it spot on, as breathing in or out would make it it move around it seemed.

However I didn’t notice that as too much in the way of bob.I’ve got it on an HD3, which is Progressive to sag, then slightly regressive blending off towards the end of travel. So setting up for sag it seemed to move about a lot, but when out riding once past the sag point no it didn’t move about too much. However I do have the compression and rebound turned up quite high anyway, as that how I like it, general riding is softer spring and harder damping so my natural setup go to may have overcome any bobbing. I then have the high speed circuit running less compression and rebound for the big drops as I’m a wuss. I am also running 4 tokens, so I can get more movement without blowing through travel. Fork is set much the same.

I personally ignore how much it actually moves, if it’s within the travel. If it’s bottoming out you need more tokens or air, if you are wasting energy in the shock making the climb harder then again you will need more compression and a touch more air maybe.

But I found that I would fly up a climb (well for me), with great grip and not wasting energy in the shock. If it felt this way, and also takes the drops then it’s fine; Going on feel after initial setup works far better for me, and I don’t even think about it now, it just seems to let the bike do it’s stuff. Measuring travel seemed a waste of time when I was setting it up as it was misleading. Well thats for me anyway

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers Bob,mine is on a giant reign 2 with the maestro suspension so it’s kinda built in with propedal so to speak
    I’ve seen on vital MTB they are testing out a lockout switch but won’t be available till later on in the year to next year,I might give it a bit more compression and see if it stops it bobbing so much

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’d just stick with it and wait for the new knob, then get a suspension fettler to retrofit it. Or – go a step further and get a cnc shop to knock you one up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox float x2 evol lockout’ is closed to new replies.