Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox Float seal replacement..lubrication?
  • Trekster

Looking at the Fox site there are red, green and Fox fluid lubes needed when replacing stanchion seals.
    What is Fox fluid and is there an alternative? what do you use?
    What is the difference between red & green oils?
    `05 Float RLC btw

VanMan
    Free Member

The table on the fox service website should help

This one

Trekster

Yeah, thats the one I was looking at. Just wondered why there are so many colours and is the little tube of “fluid” required or can an alternative be used?

VanMan
    Free Member

Ah sorry, missed that bit!

When doing my forks (’09 Floats) I just got the 10wt green, mainly because it said performance 🙂 , and the Float fluid as advised by Mojo when I rang them. The Float stuff is for lubing up the foam seals before installing.

Other oils can be used, sure there was a thread about that a few months back

VanMan
    Free Member

Found the thread, wasnt a few months back though only last week 😯 time flies by sure it was longer than that!

spacehopper

the little tube of float fluid is really thick oil thats applied to the foam rings just under the dust seal and is also used inside the air can on fox rear shocks too..

i think some people have replaced it with 85wt gearbox oil from memory.. i can bring a pillow pack sized amount of fox fluid up with me on monday if youd like? 🙂

Flaperon

Doesn’t really matter what you put in; the stanchions will still be worn out after a few hours riding!

Trekster

cheers spacehopper.
    Had hoped to change the seals over the weekend ready for Monday but that might not happen now. I have a rear RP shock in need of some lube on my other renovation project. YGM btw.

Got some nice thick oils at work that we use in gearboxes and lbs suggested the heavy oil soaking. Just wondered after reading through the Fox guide. They are old forks due for replacment as and when £££ allows 🙄

Flaperon

Doesn’t really matter what you put in; the stanchions will still be worn out after a few hours riding!

I am under no illusion that the stanchions are worn, they are also scratched in quite a few places to ❗ The forks are `05 vintage and have been used & abused 🙄

Flaperon

I soaked the foam seals in the contents of a pillow pack of float fluid.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float seal replacement..lubrication?’ is closed to new replies.