Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox Float 34's vs Revelation RCT3's – which are better to live with?
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Hi all,

As header, looking for your experiences of either or both. For 650b FS and travel recommended for 130 – 140mm.

TFT have said they can reduce travel on the Floats from stock 160 to 140, with a little machining.

I’m not heavy, all up weight with kit circa 11stone, so I’m wondering if the heavier Fox might be overkill as my riding preference is XC and keeping air to a minimum.

Which are easier for rider servicing? Please tell me about how you find their feel in terms of suppleness, brake dive, steering response.

There’s also the not inconsiderate matter of a few hundred quid price difference!

Your real world views will be much appreciated! Thank you!

LoCo
    Free Member

Pike RCT3? 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Hehe, thanks for that! Looks like they’ve also been ‘murdered’. Do they use larger dia stanchions?

Not sure when they’ll be available? Ideally, I’m going to be wanting the forks in a couple of weeks time.

Another option just been lofted in my direction is a BOS Deville 140…. A quick search on here suggests a wide range of opinion as to their reliability, anyone have anything to add on that?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I do like the stiffness of my 29er 140mm 34 Floats. They definitely track better than 29er 32’s, and although I haven’t any experience of 29er (or 650b ) Revs, my 150mm 26er Revelations were a bit flexy when pushing on through steep techy stuff. The Blackbox damping was pretty good though.
    For XC orientated stuff I would certainly consider the Revs over the Foxes from a weight point of view. Plus the Fox CTD damping appears to be lacking a certain ‘something’. I’ve been playing around with mine for ages and I’ve yet to find the sweetspot.

slackalice
    Free Member

Cheers Yetiman, great input, appreciated.

slackalice
    Free Member

Evening posse bump 😀

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have 650b Revs on my Nicolai AC..

Work well,dont seem flexy (15mm axle)

Had Devilles on my last AC,they are very good forks aswell.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you ns, I’m looking to the Revs for quite a few reasons, ease to set up and dial in, flex will occur with riding hard but sometimes that helps, lighter, cheaper.

What German sites would be worth checking for stock? There are none left in the UK and won’t be till end of June…

Cheers

getonyourbike
    Free Member

BOS Deville every time! Their performance is truly sublime and you only need to look at the machining and tolerances to realise how well they’re made.

the_lecht_rocks

i have RS Rev 29er [140] and fox float 29ers

the RS are better damped but are cheaper finished, but did cost 1/3rd almost of the fox.

no idea how easy it is to slip off the lowers on the RS as the bolts are really recessed……………????

loco – any thoughts ?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    no idea how easy it is to slip off the lowers on the RS as the bolts are really recessed……………????

I had some 26″ Rebas of the same design and it was dead easy if you’ve got the right tools. You need a socket wrench, 5mm hex key and an extender to give you the reach and then a deep reach socket will do for the other side.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have 29″ RS Revelation and its easy to remove lowers, standard allen key and deep socket

butterbean
    Free Member

BOS Deville every time! Their performance is truly sublime and you only need to look at the machining and tolerances to realise how well they’re made.

If they are made so well, why is the warranty return rates just as high as any other fork.

Surf Sales are in full BOS experience mode now. Nearly 5 months in and they still can’t do any work on forks because BOS can’t be bothered to sent them parts.

Buy from a brand with good support so you can get the forks fixed & serviced easily.

the_lecht_rocks

Frankers, is there an online guide ?
    What side is the socket and Allen key and what sizes are needed ? Assume 4 or 5mm Allen key ?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Try bike24.de and bikediscount.de for purchasing

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks for your tips, advice and experience. I’ve gone for the Rev’s… RCT3 solo air. HIBike.de in the end.

They’re going onto my new bike, also just ordered!

PYGA 120 650B…. Whoop whoop! 😀

Frankers
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member

Frankers, is there an online guide ?
    What side is the socket and Allen key and what sizes are needed ? Assume 4 or 5mm Allen key ?

Yes loads of guides on line

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-rockshox-revelation-lower-leg-service-24649/

I think its a 5mm hex key and 10mm socket, but not 100% and not at home at the moment to check

daveh
    Free Member

Lovely looking frame! Think you made a good choice with the revs. Based on 26s, I understand fox had to make the 34 to compete with the revs on stiffness, but of course they ended up heavier, and the damping on the revs is better than that of the fox’s. 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Cheers for that! Reaffirms all my exhaustive yet huge fun research 🙂

External validation is always well received!

robhughes
    Free Member

Pike RCT3 with dual flow 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float 34's vs Revelation RCT3's – which are better to live with?’ is closed to new replies.